Have Firefox Remember Important Settings

When doing sysadmin from localhost, I miss the cookies, bookmarks and passwords for Firefox stored. Could this be enabled? AFAIK these days there is a way to configure the browser on a very fine-grained level. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2024 at 1:38 PM, JonathanM said:

The built in Firefox instance should only be used to access the Unraid GUI, any other sites you should use a VM or containerized browser.

I don't agree.

39 minutes ago, amix said:

I don't agree.

The built in browser is only updated when a new upgrade of Unraid is released, so the chances are good that a vulnerability may be exposed with no way to immediately mitigate it. Given that it's running on the base OS, if it's exploited your entire Unraid install is vulnerable.

The only reason the GUI browser was included at all was to give the local console the ability to manage Unraid. For general use, it's highly recommended to only use the built in browser to launch a VM or container that can be used as a daily driver. If the local GUI becomes unusable for any reason it would be very bad.

Consider what could happen if you accidentally open a page with an exploit that allows remote access, or starts ransomware. It would have access to your whole server.

Much safer to sandbox your activities with a container or VM.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2024 at 4:39 PM, JonathanM said:

The built in browser is only updated when a new upgrade of Unraid is released, so the chances are good that a vulnerability may be exposed with no way to immediately mitigate it.

I do understand where you are coming from and I respect that. But my issue was:

When doing sysadmin from localhost, I miss the cookies, bookmarks and passwords for Firefox stored. Could this be enabled?

Emphasis added now.

I need password manager to remember my passwords for the following local containers (more will come), that I manage via their GUI:

1. AriaNg
  2. binhex-minidlna
  3. binhex-syncthing
  4. CloudBeaver
  5. homeassistant
  6. Nextcloud
  7. openHAB
  8. pgadmin4
  9. postgresql15
  10. Redis
  11. RoonServer
  12. swag
  13. YACReaderLibraryServer
  14. aria2

I also have other hosts in my LAN (all firewalled and managed), I keep those admin interfaces also as bookmarks (router, etc.). In order to do so, I currently install the Firefox "floccus" addon. It syncs with the bookmarks addon of Nextcloud.

Edited by amix
added info