losing network connection during transfers

I will watch this thread with interest. I have been having a similar persistent problem, but with 4.7. It occurs mainly with large files - a transfer will get anywhere from 30-80% through and then it will fail with the error message "specified network name is no longer available". The unRaid server is in fact working and there is no noticeable problem with it other than the file transfer problem. I thought it might have been at the desktop end of things but I have done some testing this morning and it happens with a number of different PCs at the other end.

I have tried it via a switch (Dell 5224) or via only my router (Netgear WNDR3700). Either way it happens fairly consistently.

I have sometimes suspected it happens primarily with one user share but I haven't really been able to confirm this with any certainty.

I have searched this forum but I haven't really found anything helpful. Are your symptoms similar to this?

Are your symptoms similar to this?

id have to say yes fairly similar. This problem has been intermittent with me for some time now. And never have i ever really got a definitive answer and the problems seems to go away but then reappears later on. It appears to me that this problem usually occurs when transferring data from within my server from one share to another. However this most recent time i have tried from external source and is still getting the problems..Do you have a monitor hooked up to your server? usually when these problems occur i get something like this

e273c6fe.jpg

but of course i do not know what any of it means lol

like you i usually get up to 30-80% transfer completion before this happens.

Hmm, my unraid box doesn't have a screen. It sounds like I may have a different problem to you in that if I just move files internally on the unraid drives, everything seems to work (as far as I can tell, not being all that linuxy I just use Midnight Commander via SSH and everything seems to work properly.)

My issue seems to be confined to file transfers over the LAN, usually large ones (4+ GB). It's always the same error message on the windows side: "specified network name is no longer available".

Both drives share these lines:

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       1
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       1

This indicates a common external problem such as power or cabling or physical port problems. Could be a loose SATA card. Keep changing things to isolate the problem.