need advice on DEB file to update Plex

Hi !

My Plex GUI showed me i needed to update.  See picture.

I downloaded the new install file ( plexmediaserver_1.40.5.8921-836b34c27_amd64.deb )

It downloaded to my Windows PC.

Now what ?  As a rookie, can someone explain (step by step) what i do now ????

I can likely move the file anywhere you want, on the UnRaid box.

Just not sure what commands i use to make use of the file.

Thanks you, and sorry.

Richard

Plex - upgrade.png

3 hours ago, larachbeg said:

Now what ?  As a rookie, can someone explain (step by step) what i do now ????

I can likely move the file anywhere you want, on the UnRaid box.

Just not sure what commands i use to make use of the file.

You cannot make use of that file. It is generally not possible to manually upgrade the application within the docker container. From our perspective as unRAID users its best to think of the container as the application. We get updates when the maintainer (of the container not the application) pushes a new container version, or in the less common case of a container with a builtin update mechanism, when the container is restarted. If you are using the lsio version of the plex container you might try restarting it to see if it updates (not sure if theirs still does that or not). TLDR just because plex has an updated version does not mean that the particular plex container your are using is available with that update and there is not much to be done about it.

Unless you require the update to fix something, you are better off *not* updating Plex.  Plex is notorious for breaking several things when updating one or two - usually to push something you aren't interested in.  For me, it is usually something they break in the DVR.  For many others, it is HDR or tone mapping.

I've been running Plex for many years (have a lifetime subscription).  Long before I had ever heard of Unraid.  I stay locked in on a known good version, and only update when I need to, maybe 1 or 2 times a year is too much.

Realize I don't say this as a hater - I truly love my Plex server.  When it is working.

1 hour ago, larachbeg said:

But the URL even says "please install manually" (which delivers the DEB file).

You're saying i cant install manually ????

You can install it manually inside the container - not at the Unraid level.   Since containers are often not full Linux installs there is no guarantee that the manual install will work.  Normally better to wait for the container maintainer to release an updated container.