Change disk pool from 2 to 1?

DanielPT

Go to the Main tab and click the cache device. Scroll down and find the Balance button.  Next to that, there is a drop down selection.  Set it to 'Convert to single mode' and then click the Balance button.  When it's done, you will have 2 separate drives.  You will be able to verify your data is on the drive you want to keep in there.  Then stop the array and remove the one you wish to swap out by changing slots from 2 to 1.  Verify the one you wanted to keep is set in teh remaining cache spot.  Then get your new big hdd installed, boot up, back to Main tab, and assign the hdd how you want then start the array back up.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, itimpi said:

The suggested process will not work - you cannot remove a device from a pool in Single mode without data loss.

You need to have the pool in RAID1 mode before you can remove a drive without data loss.

Omg you are right.  Thank you for that.  I got my wires crossed going back and forth looking and typing.

12 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The suggested process will not work - you cannot remove a device from a pool in Single mode without data loss.

You need to have the pool in RAID1 mode before you can remove a drive without data loss.

Okay :)

How can i then do it? :)

The data is not important :) But i want to have the cache drive looking like before so my dockers dont get confused? 

Thanks!

I went back and did this process twice.  Needed to get it right after putting out bum info so I made this.

Here is how I got there:

1.  With array started, go to the Main tab and scroll down and find the Balance button.  Next to that, there is a drop down selection.  Select the Convert to raid1 mode' option. 

2. Click the Balance button.  (If you are already in Raid1 then it will be instant).

3. Stop the array.

4. Unassign both cache drives by selecting the drop-down 'no device' choice.

5. Then change slots drop-down to none. 

6. Start array.

7. Stop array.

8. Click Add Pool button and click Add.  (just a single device in the pop-up)

9. Select the drive you want to keep as a single cache drive.

10. Start array.

11. Go near bottom of main tab and find Format button.  To the left you should see your drive s/n that you wish to keep as your cache.  Be sure this is the ONLY drive listed.  Other drives will also be formatted and lose their data. 

12. Check the 'Yes, I want to do this' box to the right.

13. Click Format.

14. Wait a bit for it to complete.  Took mine about 2 minutes for an old Sandisk 120GB SATA drive.

15. Verify your data is intact.

If it is not, then mount the removed drive with Unassigned devices and copy the files over with MC (or something you prefer)

Bonus: Possibly not necessary. *Verify your shares are all mapped correctly.  

16. Replace your outgoing cache drive with your new drive and assign as required.

Had this box open for hours while doing life and crafting the above.  Now I see the process put up a while ago.  Still leaving this here since I did it specifically for the thread.  Should be a cinch if still needed for btrs anyway.

Punching out now.

GL