Asmedia contoller card

anyway, once they get here and i try it myself i shall keep you guys updated on the results.

Awesome!  Looking forward to it.

well, they finally got here. initially put one in attached 2 drives restarted the server and all went without a prob. once that was established shut down the server and added 2nd card, restart and the server didn't start (started cursing etc, the usual stuff one does ;) ). anyway, established pretty fast that one of the hdd's was junk. so switched that out and restarted... all is good.

fazit: there is no prob running multiple of this card. and the price is just to good to not fill unused pcie 1x slots with it. i guess i get one more to use in my last pcie 1x slot soon, the rate the hdd's are filling up i will need it and it is a nice and cheap way to utilize otherwise useless pcie slots and some of the older drives you have sitting around.

haven't seen any issues yet in terms of speed etc.

so i think - if you dont have the money at this point to fork out in the $100+ range for a 4/8/16 port controller and you have one or more slow pcie slots open thats the way to go for gradual adding drives for under $15 per 2 hdd's.

well, they finally got here. initially put one in attached 2 drives restarted the server and all went without a prob. once that was established shut down the server and added 2nd card, restart ... all is good.

Great to hear! Thanks for getting back with the update hopefully that'll help others down the road.

• 2 months later...

I'm using a card with the ASM1061 in my second unRAID setup. I had originally bought it for my main PC and repurposed it. Although I'm only using it with one internal drive since it's only a x1 PCI express card. I have another card that is a x4 PCI express port multiplier card for my external case.  I need to find a x4 PCI express card with four external port multiplier ports for a third unRAID setup so I can attach four enclosures to handle sixteen drives. So I hope I can find one with the ASM1061 chipset. Or does this only come in two port configurations?

I have a x4 PCI express card in my first unRAId setup, but it only has two external ports and also internal ports. So I had to route two of the internal ports outside. I won't have that option in my third unRAID setup which I plan to use an HP ProLiant G7 N54L.

The N54L is PCIe 2.0. So x1 is kinda like x2.

The PCIe 2.0 standard doubles the transfer rate compared with PCIe 1.0 to 5 GT/s and the per-lane throughput rises from 250 MB/s to 500 MB/s.

So you may be able to get away with two of the x1 cards.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a 4 port eSATA in low profile format.

You might be able to use something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812400005

12-400-005-TS?$S300$

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...