Intel 15th Gen 'Arrow Lake' Thoughts?

Gazeley

I'm currently running an old Supermicro X9DRi-LN4+ with dual Intel Xeon E5-2670 v2 CPUs. It's served me well for years but this old Supermicro is loud, hot, and power-hungry. I've been planning a new build with an i5-14500, but I'm wary of the issues with Intel's 13th/14th gen. I just saw the news about the new 15th gen, and although it doesn't look like a huge performance boost over 13th/14th gen, it does look like it's a big leap in power efficiency, and presumably they'll have ironed out the issues that Raptor Lake recently had.

What are your thoughts on Arrow Lake? Is the loss of hyperthreading a big negative? They say it's more power efficient than the previous gens but it looks like the "base power" of the Ultra 5 245K is 125W compared to the 65W on the i5-14500.... so does that mean the 245K would use more power for the same load as an i5-14500, or am I misunderstanding how that works? If you were rebuilding your server soon (and assuming long-term power efficiency & performance are more important to you than upfront cost) would you be looking at the 200S (Arrow Lake) series or would you get something different?

Edited by Gazeley
10 hours ago, Gazeley said:

What are your thoughts on Arrow Lake?

Cool tech.

Is the loss of hyperthreading a big negative?

With 24 cores, I don't think you need hyperthreading... :)

"base power" of the Ultra 5 245K is 125W compared to the 65W on the i5-14500

Sorry but that is not a fair comparison because you are comparing a K series CPU to a non K series CPU.

A non K variant was always a lower TDP than a K variant.

or am I misunderstanding how that works

Mostly yes, we are talking here about a faster CPU with IPC improvements which is able to do the "work" quicker than it's previous generation but as said above, you are comparing a non K CPU with a K CPU.

would you be looking at the 200S (Arrow Lake) series or would you get something different

Just hold off a bit, this is bleeding edge tech which is not even released yet.

On Linux bleeding edge is not always good, or better said, I would avoid it initially, because maybe the scheduler for the CPU or maybe the iGPU doesn't work at all, these are only a few things from many that I can think of.

Usually the Kernel needs to catch up and implement all the new Hardware/Features so that everything works properly.

5 hours ago, ich777 said:

Sorry but that is not a fair comparison because you are comparing a K series CPU to a non K series CPU.

A non K variant was always a lower TDP than a K variant.

Ah I see, I thought the "K" just meant it could be overclocked, I didn't realize that also meant a higher TDP than the non-K. In that case I'll definitely wait for the non-K SKUs and go with whatever the best 65W option is.

5 hours ago, ich777 said:

Just hold off a bit, this is bleeding edge tech which is not even released yet.

I understand that, and I guess that's part of what I'm asking - is it worth waiting a couple months for Arrow Lake to roll out, or should I just go with an i5-14500? Apparently the i5-14500 (non-K) isn't affected by the Raptor Lake issues - but I'm leaning towards waiting because it looks like 15th gen is a big bump in efficiency, and presumably I'd be getting more bang for my buck.

19 minutes ago, Gazeley said:

I understand that, and I guess that's part of what I'm asking - is it worth waiting a couple months for Arrow Lake to roll out, or should I just go with an i5-14500? Apparently the i5-14500 (non-K) isn't affected by the Raptor Lake issues - but I'm leaning towards waiting because it looks like 15th gen is a big bump in efficiency, and presumably I'd be getting more bang for my buck.

I would wait a little bit longer since nobody yet knows if their claims are true, but I think they will be mostly true.

However I don't think that it will be much of a difference if you go now with the 14500 since this is also a great CPU with a great iGPU for transcoding.
Most of the systems are idling anyways most of the time and that's where Intel mostly shines, but nobody yet knows how the new generation from Intel will behave and how low they can go in idle or almost idle...

• Upvote 1

I'm also looking at upgrading my 13 year old hardware with arrow lake, especially for reduced power consumption but my hardware also is too slow for transcoding. But I'm likely to wait a month at least before making the upgrade.

That said, does anyone have any motherboards that they are eyeballing to support? Typically in my usual rigs I stick with Asus rog strix but this will likely be overkill. 

11 minutes ago, simplemoe said:

I'm also looking at upgrading my 13 year old hardware with arrow lake, especially for reduced power consumption but my hardware also is too slow for transcoding. But I'm likely to wait a month at least before making the upgrade.

That said, does anyone have any motherboards that they are eyeballing to support? Typically in my usual rigs I stick with Asus rog strix but this will likely be overkill. 

I tend to like MSI boards, so maybe https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z890-CARBON-WIFI/Specification as it allows 2x x8 slots for hba and GPU for VM. And leaves spare x4

Has 5 and 2.5 gig NICs.

On 10/12/2024 at 9:01 AM, SimonF said:

I tend to like MSI boards, so maybe https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z890-CARBON-WIFI/Specification as it allows 2x x8 slots for hba and GPU for VM. And leaves spare x4

Has 5 and 2.5 gig NICs.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep that as a contender. The other I am looking at is the Asus pro art which has 10 gb. I've plenty of time to decide.

https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/proart/proart-z890-creator-wifi/