Mover causes complete crash (5b14)

ajburnet

Hi - yes, I've tried with all plugins disabled (and post reboot with them disabled) and the result is the same.

It's essentially the same with multiple re-builds.

Only 1 file is due to be moved. I have deleted that file from the cache directly and tried again to check it wasn't related to the file.

How do I engage Tom?

Thanks again - really appreciate it. I'd love to have the cache drive working!

tail_no_plugins.txt

• 1 month later...

Have there been any developments on this? I'm experiencing a very similar crash on my system (5b14 as well). I can manually rsync just fine, it's just the mover that causes the crash. I can assist with any additional logs if it would help.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Well, a year or so in, I'm still not over this problem so appreciate any help you guys can provide - thanks in advance!

I am now running on rc8a and the mover script still causes a complete system crash - syslog attached. Interestingly, since the rc8a upgrade I can no longer complete rsync backups (utilising the rsync daemon which is started via my go script at boot up) which makes sense since the mover script is rsync based.

Anyway - I've analysed my memory usage and (by checking memory usage by process over time) it does appear that sabnzbd is a memory hog (memory leak I assume) as my other processes seem to utilise a similar memory allocation over time - sabnzbd just keeps on increasing!

I have scheduled an sabnzbd to restart (using it's own scheduler) hoping this will release the memory in advance of the scheduled mover script. The system still crashed last night (as per the syslog attached).

I also have a swap file in place, a tmpfs mounted properly and all plugins installed and running out of my cache drive. I have 8GB ram. The crash last night did happen when my Win VM was running under Virtualbox but given my 3GB swap I'd think that may not be the cause.

I can - it seems, manually run the mover script hence I'm thinking this is memory / time specific.

One idea I have is to stop and restart all plugins from within the mover script which should release all assigned memory.

Any other thoughts and ideas would be really welcome - as I would love to actually have a cache drive a year on!

Many thanks,

Alex

syslog.txt

Thanks...

Just ran this on the first drive with the following response:

"

Will read-only check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/sdf

Will put log info to 'stdout'

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you do):Yes

reiserfs_open: the reiserfs superblock cannot be found on /dev/sdf.

Failed to open the filesystem.

If the partition table has not been changed, and the partition is

valid  and  it really  contains  a reiserfs  partition,  then the

superblock  is corrupted and you need to run this utility with

Have you seen this before - the files do appear to available? What could cause this, unclean restarts??

Thanks,

Alex.

Thanks...

Just ran this on the first drive with the following response:

"

Will read-only check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/sdf

Will put log info to 'stdout'

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you do):Yes

reiserfs_open: the reiserfs superblock cannot be found on /dev/sdf.

Failed to open the filesystem.

If the partition table has not been changed, and the partition is

valid  and  it really  contains  a reiserfs  partition,  then the

superblock  is corrupted and you need to run this utility with

Have you seen this before - the files do appear to available? What could cause this, unclean restarts??

Thanks,

Alex.

You are not running the command properly.

If a data disk, you should run reiserfsck on

/dev/md1

/dev/md2

/dev/md3

/dev/md4

etc...  The use of the /dev/mdXX devices will keep parity in sync if any repairs are made.

If /dev/sdf is the cache drive, you MUST run reiserfsck on the FIRST PARTITION, not the entire raw drive. 

/dev/sdf1  is the first partition (note the trailing "1" on the name)

/dev/sdf    is the raw drive.  (the superblock will NEVER be found there, as it is on the first partition)

reiserfsck --check /dev/sdf1

Archived