Script to enable SATA Controllers without kernel modification

In case anyone is wondering this script is still required and still works for the HighPoint RocketRaid 622 (620) Controller.  

I also flashed the "Quick" BIOS to the card to put it into JBOD (passthrough) mode, but that was not technically required to get unRaid to see the disks.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, (sorry for my bad english)

I was (am?) using this script. I have a Rocketraid 620. Unraid 6.7.2

Today I've tried to upgrade to Unraid 6.8.0, and 2 of my cache disks where gone (the ones controled by the Rocketraid).

Turned virtualization off and nothing. Downgrade to 6.7.2, my disks where back.

Advices?

Ok, so...
I was reading Unraid OS version 6.8 available, and got this:

Known Issues and Other Errata

• In another step toward better security, the USB flash boot device is configured so that programs and scripts residing there cannot be directly executed (this is because the 'x' bit is set now only for directories).  Commands placed in the 'go' file still execute because during startup, that file is copied to /tmp first and then executed from there.  If you have created custom scripts you may need to take a similar approach.

Then, (not after losing files), I've change my "go" file from:

• /boot/config/custom/enable_ahci.sh

To:

• cp /boot/config/custom/enable_ahci.sh /tmp/enable_ahci.sh
    chmod 700 /tmp/enable_ahci.sh
    /tmp/enable_ahci.sh

And I'm back online. (Like I said... not after losing files and stuff. Nothing important, everything with backup. Noob learning)

1 hour ago, Renks said:

Ok, so...
I was reading Unraid OS version 6.8 available, and got this:

Known Issues and Other Errata

• In another step toward better security, the USB flash boot device is configured so that programs and scripts residing there cannot be directly executed (this is because the 'x' bit is set now only for directories).  Commands placed in the 'go' file still execute because during startup, that file is copied to /tmp first and then executed from there.  If you have created custom scripts you may need to take a similar approach.

Then, (not after losing files), I've change my "go" file from:

• /boot/config/custom/enable_ahci.sh

To:

• cp /boot/config/custom/enable_ahci.sh /tmp/enable_ahci.sh
    chmod 700 /tmp/enable_ahci.sh
    /tmp/enable_ahci.sh

And I'm back online. (Like I said... not after losing files and stuff. Nothing important, everything with backup. Noob learning)

Alternately, in your 'go' file change this line:

/boot/config/custom/enable_ahci.sh

to

bash /boot/config/custom/enable_ahci.sh

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

hi

is this script still required? because it says on my machine it is enabled but nothing has changed.

Scanning for disabled AHCI devices...
Enabling AHCI on PCI ID 0x11030641

i can execute it again and again and every time I see the same. it feels like it's not possible to enable the device?

do someone has a hint to this problem?

thanks in advance

Device: HighPoint Rocket 640L

regards

krizi

Edited by krizi
typo & add device
On 1/11/2020 at 11:48 PM, krizi said:

hi

is this script still required? because it says on my machine it is enabled but nothing has changed.

i can execute it again and again and every time I see the same. it feels like it's not possible to enable the device?

do someone has a hint to this problem?

thanks in advance

Device: HighPoint Rocket 640L

regards

krizi

It's hard to help you without more information.  How many drives are attached to the 640L?  They just don't appear in the device list?

Perhaps give us output of lspci and dmesg

• 3 weeks later...

sorry I havent seen you reply earlier.

I gave up the card, after I somehow was able to flash the wrong bios but was not able using the same tool to flash the backup of the previous bios. after the flash the devices were not even in card bios listed.

if anybody knows how to revert the old bios would be helpfull.

regards

krizi

• 2 months later...

Just added a Highpoint 620A (2x Sata 6Gb/s on PCIe x2.0) and th drives was shown in unraid 6.8.3.

Do I still need to add the script on the first page as unraid is seeing both drives already.

Edited by GazCBG
  • 6 months later...

hi,

complete noob here to unRAID. have a first test (trial) server online now (lost half a day with the usb settings in the BIOS).

anyway, i have a Gigabyte 970A-DS3P with 6 SATA ports and a RocketRAID 640L controller in a PCIe slot.
the RR controller is listed somewhere in the interface of unRAID, but  the disks connected to it do not show up for assignment

i have been reading a bit today, and ill try to turn off the virtualization support in the BIOS tonight when i get home, and if that changes nothing ill try the script

and report back here on how it goes.

i also have a LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i coming in this week, and ill report on that as well. other noobs could benefit from my experience maybe ))

br

s

On 11/9/2020 at 2:13 PM, steven_76 said:

hi,

complete noob here to unRAID. have a first test (trial) server online now (lost half a day with the usb settings in the BIOS).

anyway, i have a Gigabyte 970A-DS3P with 6 SATA ports and a RocketRAID 640L controller in a PCIe slot.
the RR controller is listed somewhere in the interface of unRAID, but  the disks connected to it do not show up for assignment

i have been reading a bit today, and ill try to turn off the virtualization support in the BIOS tonight when i get home, and if that changes nothing ill try the script

and report back here on how it goes.

i also have a LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i coming in this week, and ill report on that as well. other noobs could benefit from my experience maybe ))

br

s

everything worked, just as the author of the script explained. a very large thank you to this user !

best regards

s.

• 7 months later...