network switches

donburkard

Maybe a dumb question but can i plug a gigabit switch into a non gigabit router and get the high speed  between my unraid server and my pc?  both have gigabit nic's.

both mbs are asus m2n32-sli deluxes. the router is a linksys wrt300n and i dont have a switch yet.

Thanks guys. i was about to go out and buy a whole new router.

A lot of folks do that when they don't need to.  In addition to a GigE switch often being much cheaper than a new router, reconfiguring a new router adds to the PITA factor.  A dumb switch is just plug and play.

Bill

I would use a switch in all cases (even if GbE was not involved).

Cheap router switches usually suck.

I don't have a cheapo router (LANCOM 1823 Wifi b/g/a/VoIP/VPN/ISDN/analog/blah/blah...), but still a switch is a switch.

On my new 3Com 8-port GbE switch I have 3 GbE PC + GbE unRAID + the router and everything goes nice.

Don't buy netgear, they suck and ports die for no reason. My last one, of the 5 ports, in about a year I was left with two full working, two working after I remove and reattach cable (port reset) and one completely dead.

I have 2 8-port Gigabit Netgear switches (blue boxes).  They have worked great - one for about 3 years, the other for about 1 year.  With only one vacant port, I would have no hesitation in buying another.  Everyone has their brand preferences.

Well I don't have my brand preferences.

I just reported what happened to mine.

3Com is a shadow of its past, so netgear seemed like an option - for me never again.

So what happened to yours? (one for 3 years, the other for 1) Sold them?

I've had 3 Linksys SOHO routers and switches die on me in 4 years, makes me question their quality. But, I keep buying them anyway because they stack on top of each other (which is probably why they died). I created a nice little pile of dead devices next to my current ones.  ;D

Thanks!  I have been looking for a 16 port gigaswitch to add to my network, but they are still a bit pricy.

Keep an eye on ebay, picked up a Dell 2724 (24-port managed gigabit) for $57 plus $10 shipping.  Regular price on ebay is going to be between $100-$150 plus shipping, which is still a good deal.  Just be very careful what you bid on, if you search for 24-port gigabit most of the results will be for 24-port 10/100 switches that have one or two gigabit ports added.  Not a bad deal if that's all you need (if you only have one or two computers with gigabit NICs, then that's all you'd need for now, then you can just upgrade when gigabit switches are even cheaper).

Does anyone know the difference between Netgear's Blue and White switches? I have a 5-port GigE switch that's been perfect for the last 9 months or so. As I've looked at a bigger one, I sometimes wonder at myself for being influenced by aesthetics on a switch :)

I don't have any other Netgear gear, but as a Mac user I'm drawn towards the white, which looking at it now, is a bit dirty.

Archived