Security DVR

generalz

Any one using unraid for dvr?  are you using IP cams that just save to a share?  do you have a dedicated pc that records from the cams and saves to it.

I don't use unraid, but my IP camera server and unraid both run as VMs on the same ESXI server. My camera server is a Windows 7 VM running Blue Iris, which I'm very happy with. I have 2 720p cameras and one VGA camera recording constantly during the night and the whole setup works great. I only maintain about 3 days of stored video (stored on a spare 1.5TB drive), though, so I never thought about storing it on unraid. It strikes me as being a little different paradigm from the write once, read many times usage that is probably more typical for unraid, but there's no reason it shouldn't work. I know there are a few users on the board that use unraid as storage for SageTV and that may be the closest DVR-type usage, so you might search the forums for posts about their experiences.

I also use blueiris that I run on a winxp vm within unraid through virtualbox (512MB ram)

I don't record video, but do have it set up to take snapshots whenever there is motion detected. I save them on a share within the xp vm that is shared on the network.

The whole virtual machine is stored and run on a cache drive

Thanks everybody, gave me a good place to start.

Looks like I can pair these cams

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881523028

With this card and that software

http://store.bluecherry.net/pv-149-4-port-video-capture-card-v4l-windows-directshow-120fps.html

I think I need to get serious with esxi I see more and more unraid setups that are working well under Virtualization

• 3 weeks later...

Any one using unraid for dvr?  are you using IP cams that just save to a share?  do you have a dedicated pc that records from the cams and saves to it.

I have a few IP cameras and saving video to my unRaid box. unRaid has nothing to do with, its just the area where all the videos are saved. Works really nice.

Archived