unRAID vs FlexRAID

raiderxx

Guys, I am looking for a RAID alternative solution.

The two I am contemplating right now are unRAID and FlexRAID.

FlexRAID since the latest release (RC3) has really come a long way.

http://www.openegg.org/FlexRAID.curi

The screenshots for the upcoming web client look very promising too.

Hopefully, he will add a scheduler for running the various tasks.

I remember reading the first release's features and being put off by some critical limitations.

As of now, all those limitations have been removed and from what I am reading performance is outstanding.

The author also promises RAID6 and RAIDn engines in the next release.

I am most interested in the Live or NAS versions of the software, but he has put very little information about those.

I am still leaning toward unRAID, but I really want to use the storage server for other tasks.

Has anyone given FlexRAID a go as of lately and cares to do a fare comparison?

From what I've read, nothing much has changed about the basics of FlexRaid from where it was first introduced.  It is not going to replace unRAID, or any RAID-0/1/2/3/4/5/6...    My original evaluation is still valid: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=1785.msg12523#msg12523

It is basically a set of parity files, almost exactly like those created for usenet to reconstruct binary newsgroups.  They are static snapshots that are out of date as soon as any file/folder they "protect" is written to.    The product will have a place for some, and if your data never changes, it might work perfectly fine.  Do not expect to be able to get to your data when a disk fails though... it does not provide for access during a failure, just the ability to reconstruct afterwards, and only if none of the files involved have changed since the "parity" snapshot had been taken.

Joe L.

From what I've read, nothing much has changed about the basics of FlexRaid from where it was first introduced.  It is not going to replace unRAID, or any RAID-0/1/2/3/4/5/6...    My original evaluation is still valid: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=1785.msg12523#msg12523

It is basically a set of parity files, almost exactly like those created for usenet to reconstruct binary newsgroups.  They are static snapshots that are out of date as soon as any file/folder they "protect" is written to.    The product will have a place for some, and if your data never changes, it might work perfectly fine.  Do not expect to be able to get to your data when a disk fails though... it does not provide for access during a failure, just the ability to reconstruct afterwards, and only if none of the files involved have changed since the "parity" snapshot had been taken.

Joe L.

Well, you are wrong.

Things have changed a lot.

Whether it is written in Java is pointless since it is compiled to native code.

It does not require Java to run. It runs natively and I've read somewhere that it is written partially in C++ (at least the low level is).

It also handles data changes (delete, rename, move, edit, etc.) just fine.

You should re-check it out.

Yes, you need to resynchronize your RAID at intervals.

However, for those that are not changing their data every minute it is no big deal as the process runs very fast.

My only problem is that the product lacks a scheduler to run the tasks.

However, I believe someone has modified the client application such that you can use your OS scheduler to run the tasks.

I don't know what the guy was thinking, but he needs to get this built in rather quickly.

I am going to drop him a note on this.

Another drawback is that the data from a failed disk is not accessible until recovered, which could be an issue for some and not for others.

Luckily though, it seems like you can recover the data anywhere you have some free space as opposed to having to necessarily replace the failed drive.

I don't think the Live and NAS versions will have those limitations, but the standard version is so darn flexible.

You can RAID data that resides over the network and other disk media.

Is there ever going to be a version of unRAID that you can install on your own Linux distro?

Is there ever going to be a version of unRAID that you can install on your own Linux distro?

Sure... you can do it right now.  Install a full slacky system, copy a few files from the unRAID USB stick, reconfig and recompile the kernel.  Works  for me like a champ.

Found this recent post in the FlexiRAID avsforums.  Kinda makes a person nervous ...

Update: 05-29-2008:

Alert! RC3 build 003 is out.

Build 001 and 002 were bad. I did not properly test those earlier builds given my busy schedule.

My apologies to all those inconvenience.

well it certainly is interesting

maybe it's even what delays 4.3 :D *

or made Tom disappear (ok bad joke :D)

* in fact 4.3 is delayed trying to find out a better name for the infamous "badly named button" :D (a slightly better joke)

* in fact 4.3 is delayed trying to find out a better name for the infamous "badly named button" :D (a slightly better joke)

(I laughed at the joke)Tom made a post a day or so ago, but did not stick around long.  I knew it would take a while to rename that button...

(as Tom pours over a Thesauraus...)

Let's see ...  there is always "Set Initial Array Configuration" or "Store Initial Array Configuration"

To get back on-topic.  Java vs. compiled native code... difference is only that of speed...I'm happy to learn that FlexiRAID is not as slow as it used to be now that a java compiler is being employed.  In fact, it could be hand coded in assembly and be even faster, but that still does not make it into a RAID equivalent.

Unfortunately, FiexiRAID is not RAID, it is a set of parity FILES used for data recovery.

It has its place, and some will find it perfect for their needs as it can apply to just about any files it has access to, but it is not RAID.  It does not work if your data has changed since the last snapshot was taken, or if directories involved modified. 

Joe L.

I looked into Flexraid with some hope, but I concluded that it is actually dangerous as it fools one into thinking you are protected when you are not.

Kind of like a bogus insurance policy - it makes you sleep better at night until you actually need to use it.

Not that any solution out there is perfect, but this one seems quite the opposite.  Add a dynamic capability to it and I'll look again.

Cheers,

Bill

I looked into Flexraid with some hope, but I concluded that it is actually dangerous as it fools one into thinking you are protected when you are not.

Kind of like a bogus insurance policy - it makes you sleep better at night until you actually need to use it.

Not that any solution out there is perfect, but this one seems quite the opposite.  Add a dynamic capability to it and I'll look again.

Cheers,

Bill

Reminds me a lesson that computer life has taught me - It is much easier to take a backup than to do a restore!

in fact currently flexRAID is more of a smart backup (flexBACKUP?) - someone could make a nice mix of flexRAID and unRAID and get something interesting

Good point, reminds me of snapshot software.  It may not protect 100%, but it limits the risk.

Bill

Archived