[SOLVED] Please Help! Wrong Card? (SASLP v. SAS2LP)

CDLehner

OMG; I'm just about to put together my new build (porting to an RPC-2212 case http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=21463.0), and I think I have the wrong Controller card?

I had read some comments about the AOC-SASLP-MV8 (which I got) vs. AOC-SAS2LP-MV2...and how the SAS2 handled larger drives, etc. I wasn't so concerned about drives above 2T (at least for now...although it would be nice to "future-proof")...but now am I reading correctly; the SASLP only handles 4 drives...as opposed to the SAS2 handles 8??

I just assumed, because it had (2) SFF-8087s, that each handled 4 drives...for a total of 8 (also, specs say "external connectors...8 x SAS"; obviously, I don't know my way around these cards very well). So let me get this straight: if it's true, the SAS2 handles more and bigger drives, and it turns out it's slightly cheaper!? Did I make a HUGE mistake with my choice??

I haven't installed it yet (although I cracked the package open last night); should I be looking to return the SAS for the SAS2?

Thanks,

CD

AOC-SASLP-MV8 is a PCIe x4 card for EIGHT 300MB/s SATA connections

AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 is a PCIe x8 card for EIGHT 600MB/s SATA connections

So no problem there!  :)

OK...so it will support 8 drives; it's just speed and size where they differ?

Not to answer my own question: but if the SAS2 is faster, and supports bigger drives; and right now...best I can tell, the SAS2 isn't any more...but in fact a few bucks cheaper than the SAS(1). Is there any reason, ANYONE should buy an SAS(1) as opposed to an SAS2??

Thanks,

CD

If a person only has a PCIe 4x slot available then they can only run the SASLP. However if they have a PCIe 8x slot available they could run the SASLP or SAS2LP.

Actually.. you will be able to run the SAS2LP-MV8 in a 4X slot (8x or 16x physical). You will just get reduced bandwidth.

I point this out because some Server boards (and consumer motherboards) have 16x or 8x sized slots running at 4x power.

If it fits, it will probably work

AOC-SASLP-MV8 is a PCIe Ver. 1 x4 card for EIGHT 300MB/s SATA connections

AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 is a PCIe Ver. 2 x8 card for EIGHT 600MB/s SATA connections

So no problem there!  :)

I made a slight adjustment in red the SAS is a V1 card and the SAS2 is a V2.

Thanks guys. The SASLP would probably suit my needs just fine for now; x4 speed, 2T support (well, I guess 3T with updated driver), and ability to run on 4.7. OTOH, all things being equal...who wouldn't want newer and "better".

I was going to ask about going to 5.0 anyway. If it's at the point where there's relatively low instability, I'd love to bump. Now I guess it's just a matter of taking my medicine, and losing 15% to NewEgg on the RMA.  :(

CD

There is no reason to get rid of the SASLP-MV8. It is a stable card and I still recommend it for new builds.

I assume you are returning it for the "latest and greatest"?

Yes; please John, do your best to talk me out of it...lol. I hate the idea of losing $20, for just having opened a package yesterday...rather than come to this conclusion today.  :(

CD

Guys...I'm wringing my hands, but trying to make a quick decision. Do I halt my build, RMA the SASLP and "trade-up" to the SAS2...or just "settle" for the SASLP?

I know no one can answer that for me...but I guess what I'm asking are, what are the downsides of the SASLP? Obviously, all things being equal...you'd want newer, better, faster. OTOH...I know the SAS2 isn't supported unless you go 5.0 (no problem there, as I'd like to...unless it's "challenging" for a relatively basic user like myself). But also...like, are the speeds and advantages theoretical at this point? In other words...do they out-run my parts, or unRAID as a platform?

Thanks,

CD

Unless you're planning to run a bunch of SSDs just keep the card you have.

Thanks; I've gotten this answer elsewhere as well...so I'm happily convinced!

CD

Or if you want to run a SAS expander.  The extra bandwith and speed of PCIe v2.0 and SATAIII are useful there as well.  Of course the SAS2LP may not work with a SAS expander (I don't know one way or the other) so that may be moot.  The M1015s I bought DO work with SAS expanders and why I got them.  Then I can get 24 drives off of one card.  I use my SASLP-MV8s in another server that I'm NOT using a SAS expander on.