basic 5 bay cage

I bought these: Norco HDR-5

They are like 14 Euro each and come with a 120 mm fan.

They must be in the USA as well, and i assume cheaper..

I was not very impressed by the fan though, and replaced them with PWM Noctua ones.

look alright.. prob better then the other ones even being norco branded... but they only ship to europe :(

http://www.ipcdirect.net/servlet/Detail?no=196

here it is, however no fan and the Hdd caddies are extra

I had contacted the european seller of these and got referred to ipcdirect as well.

In an email, they stated:

Hello,

You can order at  http://www.ipcdirect.net/servlet/Detail?no=196

The item will come with fan and hard drive rails.

But their shipping calculator is a bit overzealous and wants another $15 to ship it.  Definitely works out cheaper if you want more than one, though.

• 2 weeks later...

The norco units i have come with plastic slides for the side of the hdd's so the lock into the case.

They have 2 plastic pins that go into the drive mounting holes, and you can also put in one bolt in the middle drive mounting hole, so the slides wont fall off.

There were no bolts/screws included for mounting these 5:3 cases into the computer case.

Has anyone tried the moddiy cages?

Do the drive come in and out easily or are they screwed in?

Does it require bending tabs in order to fit it in a standard case?  I have the Coolermaster CM590 case and wouldn't want to have to bend tabs to get it in.

I can only speak for the norco unit, but that looks 95% comparable to the moddiy units.

You mount 2 plastic slides on the hdd. These have 2 pins so they sort of stick in the side mounting holes of the hdd drive. With the norco ones there is an option to screw in the middle bolt to lock the slide (this bolt is not supplied)

You than slide the hdd in the cage, and it clicks in. It is not locked down completely than, there is some movement possible with the norco version.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Am seriously considering this. Does anyone have photos of this installed in their case? Am just trying to visualise how it would be. Is it straightforward to change the fan?

I would order one and see but the delivery charge is a bit high and only worth ordering more.

Thanks for the detailed comments Downloadski. It really is swaying me. I'm in the UK so would probably go for the Norco ones.

I've just ordered a Norco 450b case and one of the norco cages from ipc direct which will give me a 15 drive box, might be a few weeks till i get to muck around with it but will let you all know.

Picked up my case today, I ordered the RPC-450Black, but received the RPC-450(which has a silver body), it also doesn't have the screwless top cover, and the extra HDD cage that I ordered hasn't come with the with the HDD rails.

Have emailed them and will call in the morning, will keep you posted on their response.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Am seriously considering this. Does anyone have photos of this installed in their case? Am just trying to visualise how it would be. Is it straightforward to change the fan?

I would order one and see but the delivery charge is a bit high and only worth ordering more.

Thanks for the detailed comments Downloadski. It really is swaying me. I'm in the UK so would probably go for the Norco ones.

Ehh, i will get my server from its current position and will try to make a photo. I plan to swap out the mainbord.

The fan installation is easy. The metal front of the cage comes of with 4 screws. The fan is mounted with the standard fan screws. I replaced them with Noctus fans. They are attached by the brown grommits noctua supplys. So i have 4 of these cages in a CM stacker case, so you see 16 brown dots of the grommits.

larger photo from the Dutch shop i bought them: http://cybershop.ri-vier.nl/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=104

Also this page has multiple photo's which migh be helpfull: http://perkouw.eu/?cat=1

Only big disadvantage it that there is no dust filter.

So i plan to make a filter in front of the whole case i can clean once in a while.

• 1 year later...

i upgraded from my bootleg custom homeade hdd cages

i had used old cd rom covers and drilled some holes to hold 5 drives

i finally had some extra change and decided to go for real made ones

initially i was going to go for the moddiy cages but glad i did some more research

was happy to find out there was a nearby place and picked them up same day

i was very satisfied with my purchase (3 5x3 cages with 15 hdd rails) $60 no shipping

cages are well built and actually came with fans which are a little loud but run great

since my server is in another room i had no problem leaving the fans on

i had some trouble screwing in the screws to lock down the cages on my case

and although the rails do feel cheap and easily come off they work great

they slide in and snap into place just fine with no hassle

i even held them upside and no hdd managed to slip out

pretty dumb on my part but was curious how reliable they were and passed!

took a few pics and made an album

take a look if youre looking into buying these cages