[SOLVED] Upgraded Hardware (New Mobo: ECS A885GM-A2) - Cannot Boot

EDIT: Since I've narrowed my problem down to my motherboard, I'm going to start a new topic in "Motherboards." post in the already-existing thread for this mobo.

LINK: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=17662.msg194059#msg194059

I just did a wholesale swap of all my hardware--new case, mobo, RAM, controllers, etc. However, I can't boot up; no matter what I have selected for my BIOS settings, all I'm getting is a  "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"" message.

My Unraid s on a Lexar Firefly bought directly from Lime with v4.2.1.

OLD HARDWARE (in case it's important):

Motherboard: Asus P5B-VM DO

CPU: Intel 2.0GHz Celeron 440 Conroe

RAM: 1GB Kingston PC2 6400, (512MB X 2)

SATA Controller: SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8

NEW HARDWARE

Motherboard: ECS A885GM-A2

CPU: AMD Sempron 145 Sargas 2.8GHz

RAM: Crucial 2GB PC3 10600 (1GB X 2)

SATA Controllers: SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 (X 2)

At first, I had rebuilt my system in its new case complete with all my data drives (I have 16, including a cache drive) attached. After not being able to boot, I took my data drives out of the equation by undocking them (my new case is a Norco 4220).

I've searched for topics on my new mobo and have found that others have had difficulty booting with this board, but none of their fixes seem to have helped me. I'm assuming that I'm facing a BIOS settings problem, but other folks seem to have used this board with no problems, and the BIOS settings that have been recommended for this mobo haven't proven helpful (such as this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=17662.0).

Thanks for any and all help!

UPDATE: I just plugged my UNRAID thumb into my old server and it booted up just fine (no data drives). I updated to 4.7 thinking that perhaps that would help my problem, but the new machine still won't boot (but the old one will).

The "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" message means that the mobo is at least trying to read from the USB stick, right? Meaning that it just doesn't see the USB stick as something that is bootable, even though it is?

The "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" message means that the mobo is at least trying to read from the USB stick, right? Meaning that it just doesn't see the USB stick as something that is bootable, even though it is?

No, it means the motherboard cycled through the boot configured devices and couldn't find one that is bootable. To isolate the problem, try disconnecting ALL drives and controller cards and only have the USB stick installed, then go into CMOS and check the boot options carefully. I'm betting you can get it to boot that way, and once you see what the settings need to be, you can start adding drives and cards, then go back into CMOS and change the settings to what worked with nothing else plugged in.

To isolate the problem, try disconnecting ALL drives and controller cards and only have the USB stick installed, then go into CMOS and check the boot options carefully. I'm betting you can get it to boot that way, and once you see what the settings need to be, you can start adding drives and cards, then go back into CMOS and change the settings to what worked with nothing else plugged in.

Argh, I did as you suggested and I still cannot boot. Very frustrating and I have tried a lot of various settings. That said, the plus side to having unplugged the controller cards is that I now find out that it doesn't boot in less than 20 seconds as opposed to a minute.

In one of the other threads to for this mobo, Rajahal (who has used this board a lot in his builds) suggests, "try messing with the USB emulation settings.  Try emulating the flash drive as a hard drive." I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'd love to try it. Any ideas?

Have you tried to flash the Bios to the newest or maybe an older one. My gigabyte board wouldn't boot from the newesy bios and going back 1 level did the trick.

Without being able to boot to my flash drive, I honestly don't know how I would flash the board (the instructions call for putting the old ROM on a floppy, and I haven't had one of those in years).

Anyway, I think since I have stripped my system to basically just the motherboard, I'm going to start a new topic in motherboards. post in the already-existing thread for this motherboard. LINK: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=17662.msg194059#msg194059

try another usb flash if you have one.

Woah, this worked. Not in the way you intended (in flashing my mobo), but you inspired me to try a new flash drive to boot UNRAID. So after two days of frustration, I tried putting UNRAID on a new flash drive and voila, my system booted to the new flash drive.

Is there any obvious reason that my old flash drive (the one that is tied to my license and purchased from Lime several yeas ago) would work with my old motherboard but not my new one?

The problem was with the formatting of my UNRAID flash drive.

To solve my problem, here is what I did (probably a convoluted solution, but one that worked nonetheless):

I used memtest86's USB Key installer (http://www.memtest.org/) to format my UNRAID flash drive. Then I deleted all of the memtest files, copied my UNRAID backup to the flash, and renamed my flash drive back to UNRAID. It obviously had something to do with the way my flash drive was formatted.

My pro license is working from my old flash drive and my new server is up and running. Now to try the upgrade to v5.x and try a 3TB drive.

Thanks to all.

Archived