New install goes wrong

SuperAl

New install on a new machine. Installed 6 3tb HD. I installed as the free setup before I received my plus key. All went okay with the parity and 2 drives. Once I put in the key, all drives showed up and were assigned. That is where it broke. Locked up forever and would not even let me power down gracefully. Solid lockout for over 26 hours.

Reformatted the flash, reinstalled, used plus key, reassigned all drives like before. But did it all at one time. Now it is at least formatting and the web browser is available.

Taking like 3 minutes to format each drive now. And progressing.

So you definitely have a problem with this version under the conditions stated.

Preclear is not know by most new users getting unRAID up for the first time.

SuperAl did you assign all (6) new 3TB drives and start up unRAID, and then selected to assign each disk to a position you wanted them in (ex. Parity, Disk1, Disk2...) and then clicked start, and then noticed it wanted you to check off a check box that it would clear all the data off those drives that were labled "formatted"? and you clicked yes?

Really? Please do explain how that is.

"If you are initially configuring your array, and have not pre-cleared the disks, leave the assignment of the parity drive until AFTER the drives are formatted. unRAID will not need to clear them to maintain parity, and you'll save a bit of off-line time."

My 2 cents, this excerpt above is so buried that any new user misses it or its point (should really be the very first step in the wiki Configuration_Tutorial to help get a quicker start up)

Lets bet he assigned a parity? Hence my question "SuperAl did you assign all (6) new 3TB drives"

"If you are initially configuring your array, and have not pre-cleared the disks, leave the assignment of the parity drive until AFTER the drives are formatted. unRAID will not need to clear them to maintain parity, and you'll save a bit of off-line time."

That statement is incorrect. A new configuration builds parity, it does not clear. The time savings is from faster writes to the array. This savings is not worth the cost in lower reliability.

That statement is correct, but keep polluting the posts with bad info for others to have to guess whats right and whats wrong.

You can explain to the knowledgeable people who took the time out to write that wiki page, that they are wrong (good luck with that). You have nothing to explain to me. Or to SuperAl who is clearing (6) 3TB drives right now.

SuperAl, if you post in the "General Support forum" http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0 (they never created a 5.0 support forum yet) you can get some great help there. This 5.0-rc thead is more for the bugs.

If you have no data on the drives still, you could restart from scratch with what the statement from the wiki states you can do (http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Configuration_Tutorial)  (don't add parity at first, just add your drives, once they are formatted, add your parity drive)

Good luck.

Why are you making things up? Just because you put something in quotes and color it red does not make it true.

The statement is false. There is no need to clear a disk before parity is established. Clearing is only required when expanding an existing protected array so that parity is not effected by the addition of a disk.

Set a new config. Assign several data drives and parity. Start the array. Parity build will commence. There is no clearing performed and none is required. Try it yourself. 

When parity is initially computed all of the data disks are read and the resulting parity is based on their contents, whatever it may be. When adding a new drive to a protected array none of the drives are read and the new drive must be cleared with zeroes to maintain correct parity.

Perhaps you should learn to think before you post.

Why are you making things up? Just because you put something in quotes and color it red does not make it true.

The statement is false. There is no need to clear a disk before parity is established. Clearing is only required when expanding an existing protected array so that parity is not effected by the addition of a disk.

Set a new config. Assign several data drives and parity. Start the array. Parity build will commence. There is no clearing performed and none is required. Try it yourself. 

When parity is initially computed all of the data disks are read and the resulting parity is based on their contents, whatever it may be. When adding a new drive to a protected array none of the drives are read and the new drive must be cleared with zeroes to maintain correct parity.

Perhaps you should learn to think before you post.

Your a rambler, keep up the great posts! Your a winner in my book. Hey everyone, dgasck has thirty years of experiences with linux he made me aware of that today, cant read code but that's ok. Wow i see why you like to ramble its pretty cool.

"Why are you making things up?" Sorry I didnt make up that Wiki or contribute to it, you will have to ramble to the creators.

Thirty year experience and can't google "wiki Configuration_Tutorial", first hit. 4000+ post and doesn't know where the unRAID wiki is, really?

Here you go, I know its late and your tired:  http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Configuration_Tutorial

Truse, I wont ramble if you don't.

And to be fair I did a lot of reading in the wiki's and forums (and got a lot of help from the community getting started) and followed those exact steps per the wiki (even though they were buried) and it worked like a charm for me. Can't comment/swear what will happen if you didn't and just started with a parity and then data disk. But it clearly is stating they will have to be cleared. And I don't have any spare equipment at this time to even try (and I dont mind testing things out). SO if your strongly believe its not the case, prove it to them. I personally can't take your word on it, no offense.

And by SuperAl's comments his drives are not formatting, they're clearing... hence my memory to that wiki.

Wow, did you chat with any one of the contributors before making the edit?

(cur) (prev)  07:14, 14 September 2012 Dgaschk (Talk | contribs) (62,577 bytes) (?Add Drives to the Array) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  16:34, 1 August 2012 Joe L. (Talk | contribs) (62,834 bytes) (?Verifying Hard Drives are Detected) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  19:33, 18 October 2011 Revco (Talk | contribs) (62,620 bytes) (?Preclear Hard Drives) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  19:00, 18 October 2011 Revco (Talk | contribs) (62,096 bytes) (?Preclear Hard Drives) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  18:55, 18 October 2011 Revco (Talk | contribs) (61,892 bytes) (?Add Drives to the Array) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  18:54, 18 October 2011 Revco (Talk | contribs) (61,909 bytes) (?Add Drives to the Array) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  18:43, 18 October 2011 Revco (Talk | contribs) (61,523 bytes) (?Adding a Parity Drive to an Existing Array) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  14:02, 5 October 2011 Joe L. (Talk | contribs) (61,216 bytes) (?Preclearing Without Screen) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  13:56, 5 October 2011 Joe L. (Talk | contribs) (60,941 bytes) (?Preclear Hard Drives) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  13:50, 5 October 2011 Joe L. (Talk | contribs) (60,619 bytes) (?Preclear Hard Drives) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  02:44, 24 September 2011 Dkerlee (Talk | contribs) m (60,398 bytes) (?Add Drives to the Array) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  02:43, 24 September 2011 Dkerlee (Talk | contribs) (60,347 bytes) (?Add Drives to the Array) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  05:14, 20 September 2011 Dkerlee (Talk | contribs) (60,292 bytes) (?Create User Shares) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  05:09, 20 September 2011 Dkerlee (Talk | contribs) (60,100 bytes) (?Preclearing With Screen) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  05:08, 20 September 2011 Dkerlee (Talk | contribs) (60,096 bytes) (?Preclearing With Screen) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  03:44, 17 September 2011 Dkerlee (Talk | contribs) (59,623 bytes) (?Copying Files From an Internal or External Hard Drive) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  22:04, 28 June 2011 Cainer (Talk | contribs) m (59,562 bytes) (?Create User Shares) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  18:52, 26 March 2011 Joe L. (Talk | contribs) (59,559 bytes) (?Preclearing With Screen) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  01:36, 7 March 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) m (59,190 bytes) (?Introduction) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  01:35, 7 March 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) (59,161 bytes) (?Updated for v4.7) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  13:29, 26 January 2011 Joe L. (Talk | contribs) (58,133 bytes) (Added paragraphs describing the formattig of installed data drives. Necessary before defininng user-shares.) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  00:29, 23 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) m (56,698 bytes) (?Fixed error on Min free space parm) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  08:13, 17 January 2011 Joe L. (Talk | contribs) (56,850 bytes) (?Limit External Access) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  08:09, 17 January 2011 Joe L. (Talk | contribs) (56,841 bytes) (added info about built in "mcedit" editor) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  06:18, 17 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) (56,235 bytes) (?Final Notes) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  06:17, 17 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) (56,184 bytes) (?Users and Share Security) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  06:16, 17 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) (56,172 bytes) (?Copy Files to the Array) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  06:14, 17 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) (56,117 bytes) (?Preclear Hard Drives) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  06:07, 17 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) m (56,671 bytes) (?Install UnMENU) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  06:04, 17 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) m (56,624 bytes) (?Introduction) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  06:04, 17 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) (56,629 bytes) (?Pre Boot) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  05:59, 17 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) (56,549 bytes) (?Final Notes) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  05:18, 17 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) (53,595 bytes) (?Create User Shares) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  05:08, 17 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) (53,227 bytes) (?Add Drives to the Array) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  04:59, 17 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) (53,005 bytes) (?Configuration With the Server Management Utility) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  04:53, 17 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) (53,039 bytes) (?Verifying Network Connectivity) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  04:10, 17 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) (50,967 bytes) (?Introduction) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  04:09, 17 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) (50,965 bytes) (?Introduction) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  04:08, 17 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) (50,951 bytes) (?Introduction) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  03:55, 17 January 2011 Spectrum (Talk | contribs) (50,220 bytes) (?Introduction) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  14:51, 3 January 2011 Joe L. (Talk | contribs) (50,191 bytes) (?Install Screen) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  14:50, 3 January 2011 Joe L. (Talk | contribs) (50,186 bytes) (?Install UnMENU) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  14:49, 3 January 2011 Joe L. (Talk | contribs) (50,176 bytes) (?Install UnMENU) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  14:45, 3 January 2011 Joe L. (Talk | contribs) (49,918 bytes) (?Pre Boot) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  01:08, 8 December 2010 RobJ (Talk | contribs) (49,907 bytes) (add category) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  14:48, 30 November 2010 Joe L. (Talk | contribs) (49,870 bytes) (?User shares) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  06:30, 24 November 2010 RobJ (Talk | contribs) (49,705 bytes) (Undo revision 5324 by Acynoxum (Talk) removed - spam & hijack) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  06:05, 24 November 2010 Acynoxum (Talk | contribs) (50,512 bytes) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  13:09, 22 November 2010 Mbryanr (Talk | contribs) (49,705 bytes) (?Configuration With the Server Management Utility) (undo)

(cur) (prev)  05:56, 18 November 2010 RobJ (Talk | contribs) (49,694 bytes) (Undo revision 5298 by Acynoxum (Talk) undo hijack) (undo)

I am a wiki contributor and I corrected a mistake in the wiki. If someone want to discuss this civilly it will be my pleasure. I don't see why you care as you seem to believe what it says in any case.

I have added you to my ignore list. You are to only person I'm ignoring but I'm certain I'm not the only one ignoring you.

Settle down everyone.

You can operate unRAID never using preclear. It is not required for normal operation.

However running preclear on all disks is a very good idea as the process tests the disks in a much deeper way that uNRAID does by default.

This debate is one of the reasons I have requested several times preclear be brought into the official process.

Archived