Issue with Abit AB9 Pro, PCI graphics card and Bios 22

SørenBM

Hi all,

Just want to let you know of an issue I have had with the Abit AB9 Pro m/b.

After upgrading from bios 16 to 22, my system would not boot, I only got to the screen where the name/model af the graphics card are displayed there after the screen went black.

After consulting Abit's tech. support they advised me to buy a new bios chip. I took there advice and ordered a new bios chip with bios 22.

One week later I got the chip, plugged it in... and... nothing... my system would still not boot.

I wrote back to Abit's tech. support and asked if it could have something to do with me using a _old_ PCI graphics card. They answered that they could not test this, as they did not have a PCI graphics card lying around.

Kindly they offered to send me a new chip with the bios 16 version.

As I did not have patience to wait another week for a new chip, I went out and bought a new PCI Express graphics card.

YES, now everything was working fine again. And then out I went to buy the unRAID Pro version :)

I hope someone else out there can use my experience, if they should happen to be in the same situation.

Kind regards,

Søren

I wrote back to Abit's tech. support and asked if it could have something to do with me using a _old_ PCI graphics card. They answered that they could not test this, as they did not have a PCI graphics card lying around.

Can you post the brand name / graphics chipset of the old PCI card?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update on this one.

After wirting back and forth with Abit tech.support they asked me to test my PCI bus with another PCI card then my old PCI grahpics card.

Abits HQ had been testing bios 22 with a PCI grahpics card and they didn't have any problems with this combination.

This weekend I tested with another PCI card. This is what i worte back to Abit support:

Hi,

I have now had the chance to test with another PCI card (Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI PCI card). The card was not found in the post bios boot up process. This seemed really strange and got me thinking if it could be because of some of my settings in the bios.

I have disabled everything in the bios i.e. Audio, lan1, floppy controller etc., because I’m running a command line based OS called unRAID based on Lnux Slackware that don’t make use of these features.

I have saved my “customized” settings in a bios profile via ‘F6’ hence I decided to try and ‘Load Optimized Defaults’

The result: My Adaptec card was found! J

I tried a coupled of times to load my own bios profile and ‘Load Optimized Defaults’ – every time my own bios profile was loaded the Adaptec card was not found.

Then I decided to load my own bios profile and change one setting at a time.

When I got to ”Integrated Peripherals” > “Onboard PCI Device” > “JMB363 SATA Controller” (which I have “Enabled”) I changed “- Controller Mode” to IDE-mode (which I had in AHCI-mode) then the PCI card would be found in the POST bios boot up process.

I also tried switching back and forth between IDE and AHCI-mode a couple of times. Every time the mode was AHCI the Adaptec card was not found and every time the mode was IDE the Adaptec card was found.

Then I decided to leave the mode = IDE, unplug the Adaptec card, unplug my PCI-e graphics card – and in with my old PCI graphics card. And then everything booted up just fine.

This has been running fine for a day.

Then just for the fun of it, I wanted to change back to AHCI-mode while I was using my old PCI graphics card and what do you know, everything still booted up just fine.

I’m really confused as to what the issue might have been?

To everyone that has this m/b: What mode are you running your JMB363 SATA Controller in? IDE og AHCI? And what are the difference? My unRAID works either way.

Cheers,

Søren

I had some very similar problems with PCI video when I got mine quite some time ago.... in fact, I RMA'd the first board because of it... I don't remember what I did to fix it, but like you, I remember it was something weird.... it also would not boot with my Gigabyte Fanless PCIe nVidia 8500.... but it booted fine with a cheapy PCIe 8400.... go figure...

I run AHCI.

::)

I did a google search, one post suggested adding

pci=noacpi nobiospnp noapic nolapic 

to the syslinux.cfg file on the "append" line

This line in syslinux.cfg:

append initrd=bzroot rootdelay=10

should be changed to

append initrd=bzroot rootdelay=10 pci=noacpi nobiospnp noapic nolapic

You can edit the syslinux.cfg flie in Windows... it is on the root folder of the flash drive.

Joe L.

I did a google search, one post suggested adding

pci=noacpi nobiospnp noapic nolapic 

to the syslinux.cfg file on the "append" line

This line in syslinux.cfg:

append initrd=bzroot rootdelay=10

should be changed to

append initrd=bzroot rootdelay=10 pci=noacpi nobiospnp noapic nolapic

You can edit the syslinux.cfg flie in Windows... it is on the root folder of the flash drive.

Joe L.

Joe, what should your suggestion do?

I just got an anwser back from Abit:

Dear customer,

When you change hardware some things are re-allocated in the BIOS. It might be that some hardware got the same I/O address which will cause problems. Now you changed some settings in the BIOS and played a bit around with the hardware, so some things get re-located again.

Kind regards

Mit freundlichem Gruss

Met vriendelijke groet

Archived