HP Smart Array P410 Vs IBM ServeRaid 1015M

Hi mates

I'm using unraid basic in an HP Microserver NL36 for almost one year. Now I need more space, so I need to upgrade to the plus license. But I want better performance than the standard sata II that offers the microserver on board controller.

Digging a bit in ebay I've found two interesting SAS HBA, the two mentioned in the topic. Any of them will cost around 150€ shipped to Spain. I know that both can offer hardware raid, but at this momment I just need the extra speed of SATA 3, because changing to hardware raid implies new drives as all my disks are almos full at the moment and my budget is a limitted just now.

What do you think should work better in that box? Do you know any other SAS HBA, that shipped to Spain and with the actual spanish customs taxes (around 30%) will fit in a 150 EUR / 195 USD / 120 GBP budgget? I need at least 8 SATA 3 hard drives.

Thanks a lot, and sorry for my terrible english, as you can supose I'm spanish ;)

SATA III with mechanical drives is virtually identical to SATA II with mechanical drives - you probably wont feel any differences in real world use.

The other thing is puzzled - NL36 is small case - how are you planning to fit 8 hard drives.

If you do end up buying a controller make sure it is a low profile one with the low profile bracket. The brackets for IBM/LSI controllers are kind of custom orders, hard to source and not cheap to buy.

And M1015 is used  in Unraid by "turning off" the hardware RAID capabilities (if any) with firmware change.

The other good controllers are the Supermicro - first generation SASLP (not that good for the money one will spend) and the second generation SAS2LP. They do work well with Unraid.

Very cheap alternative will be the older generation IBM/SAS controllers - based on the LSI1068e chip but they support harddrives up to 2.2TB only.

One example of these is the IBM BR10i.

Hi mate

My idea it's to use just 6 disks, and one or two SSD 120 GB as cache drive (raid 0).

4 disks in the standard drives

2 disks in the ODD with nexus Double Twin spacers http://www.nexustek.nl/NXS-doubletwin_hdd_vibration_killer_black_and_white.htm

one or tho SSD in the space bellow the ODD where all the power cables are located, most of the space is wasted because HP have used standard Y molex cables. But for just 15 or 20 EUR you can make just one single line whith 90 degrees conectors that don't need so much connectors freeing a lot ot space enough for one SSD, and probably enough for a second one.

If I've time this weekend I'll post some photos of the layout.

Other peoble was able to put 10 drives using a Sharkoon or Icy Box 6 to 1, that allows you to put 6 laptop 9'5mm height drives in a single 5,1/4" drive. http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=151