Parity Drive Issue

DMAddict

So I'm not certain what happened but a few days ago it appeared as though my parity drive failed. The parity drive is the largest at 3TB with my other drives at 1.5 and 2TB's. I tried to run a SMART test using Seatools but it said not available. When I connected it to my Windows system the size only showed 746GB's. I receive a new 3TB drive today and placed it in and it started to sync but then stopped as if it failed too. I would appreciate any guidance for what I should try.

Version: Unraid 5.0-Beta 14

Log: http://pastebin.com/8nFYs6qK

-Thanks

When I connected it to my Windows system the size only showed 746GB's.

Windows would only ever see a parity drive as unformatted garbage, since there is no regular filing system on a parity drive.  The drive hardware properties themselves, however should be read correctly.  (Not sure what your figure is referring to.)

When I connected it to my Windows system the size only showed 746GB's.

Windows would only ever see a parity drive as unformatted garbage, since there is no regular filing system on a parity drive.  The drive hardware properties themselves, however should be read correctly.  (Not sure what your figure is referring to.)

746GB is what a 3TB drive shows up as in Windows when the controller or Windows driver doesn't support > 2TB drives.  When I saw this in Windows I upgraded the controller driver to the latest and then was able to see the whole 3TB drive in Windows.

I was wondering if it was an XP thing that was only seeing partial. I also noticed that my cache drive was missing which was right below the parity drive in the same 4-in-3 Icy Dock cage. I moved them both up to a different Icy Dock using the same cables and the cache drive came back and now parity is synching again. I'll let it get back in sync and then see about ordering another Icy Dock. The fact that lost 2 drives on the same Icy Dock would make it fairly certain of that being the issue and not like a PSU power lead, right? I only say that as maybe something else to lookout for.

I was wondering if it was an XP thing that was only seeing partial. I also noticed that my cache drive was missing which was right below the parity drive in the same 4-in-3 Icy Dock cage. I moved them both up to a different Icy Dock using the same cables and the cache drive came back and now parity is synching again. I'll let it get back in sync and then see about ordering another Icy Dock. The fact that lost 2 drives on the same Icy Dock would make it fairly certain of that being the issue and not like a PSU power lead, right? I only say that as maybe something else to lookout for.

32 bit Windows XP (not sure about Windows 7) would have the problem without 3rd party support.  64 bit Windows OS should not as long as the controller and Windows drivers support > 2TB.  Cannot answer your current question.

Archived