ESXi + unRAID - 'Host does not support passthrough configuration'

The short version is, I'm trying to passthrough a M1015 to unRAID running on ESXi.  Although, I don't get very far really - in the vSphere client I just get presented with a message saying 'Host does not support passthrough configuration'. 

• I've checked the Intel specification for my CPU, and VT-d is definitely listed.
  • I've also tried the vt.iso provided on the VMware website, which confirmed my CPU supports VT-d and it is active.
  • I've enabled VT-d in the motherboard BIOS.

Specification:

ESXi 5.1

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8500

Motherboard: Supermicro C2SEA

RAM: 4x2GB Kingston DDR3-1333 (from the Supermicro tested memory list)

HBA: IBM M1015, flashed with IT firmware

PSU: Seasonic X-660

Am starting to think I may have to put off my ESXi project until I can get a motherboard/CPU that others have already had success with :(

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions before I admit defeat?

This may be of help if you have not already tried it,  I came across it here on the VMware forums while searching for the vt.iso you mentioned.

Because the VT-x setting is typically locked at power on, it is necessary to fully power down the system after changing any VT-x options in the firmware (BIOS/EFI). A simple reboot is not sufficient! After saving your firmware changes, I recommend that you either switch off the power supply itself or pull the power cord(s) out of the wall and wait ten seconds. For laptop systems, you may have to remove the battery as well, although such extreme measures are rarely necessary.

hopefully something on that page will lead you to a solution.

-Gary

Thanks for the reply Gary.  I had spotted the part you quoted when I originally found the vt.iso, however I've just double checked. To rule this out I left the power lead unplugged for about 5 mins and tried again. No joy :(

When I boot the vt.iso it reports 'VT is enabled on this core' for both cores - which makes me think it should be working. It's just baffling that it doesn't when you actually boot ESXi.

Don't know about the C2SEA but my SuperMicro X7SBE required a bios update to 2.0 to work correctly with passthrough.  SuperMicro evidentially coded some parameters wrong in the bios that prevented VT-d from working correctly.  Once I used 2.0 it worked just fine for unRAID and my SAT2-MV8s on passthrough.  My Windows VMs had problems even after the upgraded to the bios so I eventually upgraded to a SandyBridge Xeon, X9SCM-F MB and SASLP-MV8 to fix the problems.

Thanks BobPhoenix, that's really interesting re Supermicro BIOS.  I've already checked and I am using the latest version, however I noticed when I installed my M1015 I lost video via HDMI.  I've contacted support regarding this but not had any response yet.  I suspected it was an issue with the BIOS since as soon as I removed the card it started working again.  Perhaps this is also the reason why I can't get VT-d working.

Also thanks for the hint re known working specification, will bear that in mind if I go down that route. Which Xeon did you go for out of interest?

Thanks BobPhoenix, that's really interesting re Supermicro BIOS.  I've already checked and I am using the latest version, however I noticed when I installed my M1015 I lost video via HDMI.  I've contacted support regarding this but not had any response yet.  I suspected it was an issue with the BIOS since as soon as I removed the card it started working again.  Perhaps this is also the reason why I can't get VT-d working.

Also thanks for the hint re known working specification, will bear that in mind if I go down that route. Which Xeon did you go for out of interest?

This one E31230 version 1 Sandy Bridge.  I've also moved on from the X9SCM-F when I bricked it trying to down grade the bios to 1.0c to get back motherboard compatibility with my AVer Media Duet tuner card.  I upgraded the bios of a working ESXi setup to 2.0a and my tuner card was dropped from the system it no longer recognized the card any more.  So I tried to downgrade the bios and didn't do it correctly and bricked the board.  Then I switched to Tyan boards of the same class because the slot count increased and in the correct numbers.  My current boards are in my sig.
  • 2 years later...

Archived