[SOLVED] Permissions on apps drive

Hi,

I've upgraded from 4.7 to RC10.  I reformated my apps drive, and mounted it via a go script, and copied back the data for my apps.  SB, SAB, Universal Media Player etc.

I can't get UMS.sh to run, it just says "nohup: failed to run command `./UMS.sh': Permission denied".  This previously worked under 4.7 logged in as root.

So I was wondering if I've got permission issues on my apps drive?

I ran the following

ls -l UMS.sh

and got the following response

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 1355 2012-10-01 12:47 UMS.sh

I've found this upgrade pretty frustrating with all the issues trying to get an apps drive mounted on reboot (finally got a go script working) and now Plex plugin doens't want to start, and UMS.sh says I don't have permission to run it when I'm logged in as root!

I did run the "New Permissions" script but that only changes files on the array.  It let me thinking that I might have missed something on the apps drive.  I did do a complete pre-clear of the apps drive, reformated, and copied all the files back to the apps drive from a backup.

Any help would be appreciated.  I've been at this all day and feel like I'm getting nowhere.  Any help to keep me sane would be great.

Thanks Benni-chan again.

That worked great for UMS.sh, and it's now running! Phew!  At least the server is back up and running as it was on 4.7!  Yay!

I thought the newperms script only modified the array?  It certainly only did disk1 and disk2, and didn't mentioned my apps drive when it was running.  The backup files were on my PC which would have been uneffected during the newperms script too.

Now, the plex issue.

While I was there I ran ls -l at cd /mnt/apps

drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody users  48 2012-03-16 21:02 Completed/

drwxrwxrwx 4 nobody users  112 2012-12-27 16:49 Completed\ Downloads/

drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody users  48 2013-01-13 22:40 NZBtodownload/

drwxrwxrwx 4 nobody users  104 2012-01-03 02:18 log/

drwxr-xr-x 4 root  root    96 2013-01-13 22:15 plex/

drwxrwxrwx 6 nobody users  552 2012-09-12 14:52 ps3ms.170/

drwxrwxrwx 8 nobody users 1312 2013-01-03 10:05 ps3ms.old/

drwxrwxrwx 6 nobody users  576 2013-01-14 07:52 ums/

the plex folder is the only one that is root.  I might be wrong, but I thought that with v5 it should run as nobody?

I also then went to cd/mnt/apps/plex and ran ls -l again

drwxr-xr-x 3 root        root  88 2013-01-13 22:15 Library/

drwxr-xr-x 3 unraid-plex users 72 2013-01-13 21:31 tmp/

And it's using root and unraid-plex users?  FYI I only have one users on the system, root according to unraid webui

I was wondering if plex folders need modifying with permissions too?  If so any idea how to change a folder (and any subfolders) with a+x permissions?

when copying files, it can happen, that the permissions are not copied correctly. (especially if you are copying over network...) maybe that's what happened with your file...

you are right, your plex library folder should be owned by unraid-plex.

you can change this by running

chown -R unraid-plex:users /mnt/apps/plex

(this can take several minutes, depending on the size of your plex library)

the files inside the plex folder should be fine, since there are no files, that needs to be executed, only read or write.

if you correct the file owner (with the command above), plex should run fine.

Ok, after UMS.sh having issues I figure Plex might be in the same boat.

So, furthering my linux knowledge (it's amazing how much you learn when something doesn't work) I deleted Plex's config and rebooted.  I then ran it using the stock /tmp and /tmp/Library settings and it ran!  I'm still a linux newbie, but isn't /tmp running in memory which means it won't be persistant on a reboot?

Anyway I ran ls -l /tmp on the folders it created

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2013-01-14 08:48 Library/

drwxr-xr-x 3 unraid-plex users 0 2013-01-14 08:50 Application\ Support/

I then deleted the old plex folders on my apps drive, and added /mnt/apps/plex in front of plex's stock /tmp and /tmp/Library folders.  It created the folders but doesn't start!

I ran ls -l /mnt/apps/plex/ and then on the folders under it.

drwxr-xr-x 3 unraid-plex users 72 2013-01-14 08:59 tmp/

drwxr-xr-x 3 unraid-plex users 88 2013-01-14 08:59 Library/

drwxr-xr-x 2 unraid-plex users 48 2013-01-14 08:59 Application\ Support/

The only difference I can see is that Library is running as root root, and on the apps drive as unraid-plex users.

The strange thing is that in the syslog is says this.

Jan 14 08:59:26 Tower pms: mnt/apps/plex/tmp/Library/Application Support doesn't exist creating it

Jan 14 08:59:26 Tower pms: Plex Media Server: changing owner of mnt/apps/plex/tmp/Library/Application Support from root to unraid-plex

Jan 14 08:59:26 Tower pms: Plex Media Server: changing owner of mnt/apps/plex/tmp from root to unraid-plex

What I've noticed is that plex is changing the Library folder from root root to unraid plex, but on this stock install Library remains as root root.

Maybe that's the problem?  I don't know how to fix that, I renamed the owner as root root, started plex and it just renames it again to unraid-plex users. :(

@Benni-chan I just ran chown -R unraid-plex:users /mnt/apps/plex and it still won't start.

FYI I have do files in these folders because this is the first time I've loaded plex, it's a clean install.

Woohoo.  It's running.

Don't ask me what I did, I don't know! lol

I played about with the config file and change unraid-plex to nobody to see if that would work, same error, so I deleted boot/config/plugins/plexmediaserver folder, and rebooted.

After the reboot I just entered

/mnt/apps/plex/tmp/Library

/mnt/apps/plex/tmp

Pressed apply, then I went back and said to enable.  I didn't expect much, but it suddently appeared with "Status: RUNNING with version: v0.9.7.10.382-e1741bc"

Success at last.  I just wish I knew what I did to get it running! lol