Do I have to cache? unRaid with Sickbeard

JP

Again, thanks all for the help here.  I haven't stress tested it yet, but I am now getting good results and I feel like I'm close to setting this and then being able to leave it alone for a while.  I guess there still seems to be some confusion on how the cache drive will interact with the array and whether or not any data will actually get moved or not.  Here is what I elected to do, create a custom folder on the cache drive called ".custom".  I then attempted to follow the steps found here:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Install_Python_based_servers

As I mentioned before, I'm a linux dunce, but I can follow directions.  These directions aren't exactly correct.  Where I ran in to issues was following the wget --no-check-certificate http://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard/tarball/master command.  Again, because I didn't have a clue what any of these commands were actually doing I had to go research each one and diagnose the problems on my own.  What seemed to be happening was from the wget command it would download a file and call it "master" not something with "midgetspy" at the start of the file name as the directions would lead you to believe.  Ultimately, I had to rename a few things and use windows to get myself 3 seperate folder names and what I hoped were there respective files:  sickbeard, sabnzbd, and couchpotato.  To my astonishment they all seemed to install fine.  Even the updates to the GO script seemed to work because they all started up after a reboot as well.  Yea!

I checked my shares after all this and I'm not sure if it was because the folder was created as .custom or not, but the share isn't there.  From what I can tell I don't see any data being moved from the cache drive to the array via the mover script, but this is all still fairly new.  I'll be keeping an eye on it over the next few days to see if any behavior looks odd.

For the moment I'm feeling pretty good and thanks again to each of you for your input and guidance.  I do appreciate it. 

<snip>

I checked my shares after all this and I'm not sure if it was because the folder was created as .custom or not, but the share isn't there.  <snip>

If you were checking from a Windows machine, you'll not see your .custom directory. Linux treats the leading "." as a hidden flag, and Windows respects that and treats it with the hidden attribute. You'll have to modify your Windows Explorer options to show you hidden files and folders, then you'll be able to see it.

If you were checking from a Windows machine, you'll not see your .custom directory. Linux treats the leading "." as a hidden flag, and Windows respects that and treats it with the hidden attribute. You'll have to modify your Windows Explorer options to show you hidden files and folders, then you'll be able to see it.

Sorry, I might not have explained that precisely.  I see it in Windows just fine.  Where I don't see it is in unRaid's web gui (http://tower) under Shares.  This was my hope.

When created with a leading point the array will not show it in shares.. This is to be expected.

The weird thing in this story line is that you say files got moved by the mover anyhow, that is "weird" and I cannot explain it.

Creating a .custom dir on the cache drive and not seeing it in the shares tab of unraid is normal behaviour.

The weird thing in this story line is that you say files got moved by the mover anyhow, that is "weird" and I cannot explain it.

Sorry, I may be doing a poor job of explaining this because I don't completely understand all the proper terminology, but your understanding is what I am currently seeing.  That is, the apps on the cache drive do not seem to be moving to the data drives.  The only data that is being moved are the specific files (resulting files from sabnzbd) that I direct to do so because that is my intent.  I haven't fully tested everything yet, but for the moment at least everything seems to be working the way I hoped for.  Thanks again.

Good to hear.

The link for sab does appear to be outdated. The other ones still download the files as they're described so the commands should have worked. I can't try them so I'm not sure but you may be right about downloading to a file named master. If they did, you could have used that file name something like this.

wget --no-check-certificate http://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard/tarball/master

tar zxf master

rm master

mv midgetspy* sickbeard

But as you already found out, you can create and download and unpack the files onto the server from a Windows machine just fine.

If you didn't know, you can edit the wiki if you find something wrong. I think the wget commands might need to look something like this but would have to test.

wget --no-check-certificate http://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard/tarball/master midgetspy.tar.gz

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Sorry to piggy back off this thread, I was just chasing a confirmation on some info that was mentioned.

I have Sickbeard and Sab install setup and running perfect. everything is working fine; (v5.11RC). so very please unraid is awesome.

I have sickbeard set to do my renaming and moving which it seems to do. But the files are also being written to my cache drive. (under the same folder format). Is this due to my user share setting 'Use Cache Disk = Yes'?

Basically, Can I edit my user share settings to 'Use Cache Disk = No' while the array is running with no issues? and will this remove the need for the 'mover' and just leave it to sickbeard to rename and move the file to the correct location and be protected?

Cheers

I would prefer waiting until Lime Tech confirms 5.0 is their most stable version. 

Software developers should NOT use the word 'stable' for a software version to non-developers. Most people want the 'stable' version because they think it is literally, physically stable, in other words, they really think that versions that are not declared 'stable' are accidents waiting to happen and should be avoided. Which is not the case...

Stable just means that it is a version which is locked, a version that will not get any new features. It will not be altered or adapted anymore, it has met its specs.

Non-stable does NOT mean it is crappy software which should be avoided, it just means that features can still be added. It doesn't imply anything about the actual quality or physical 'stability' of its functioning.

So, there is no such thing as 'a most stable version'. You are understanding the concept of 'stable' wrong in this context. And that is the developers fault. They should not use this word to describe software to non-developers or non-techies.

So, to get back on the subject, get v5.0 and do as Helmonder says. Install an SSD an use it as a fast application/download disk. (not as a cache!)