[Solved] Parity check-> after clean shutdown

Neo_x

Hi guys

hope someone can point me in the right direction. i had it happen twice this week already, so i am rather sure i am not losing my marbles

due to controller issues, my HDD's doesnt spin down, and thus to safe on electricity costs i normally power down the server in the evenings.

issues is - tuesday afternoon ( after powering it down via power button the previous evening, the parity started an automatic check, and in the syslog a line is shown that an unclean shutdown was detected.

Parity regen takes roughly 38hiours, and low and behold, thursday evening i power it down via the web gui ( stopping the array and then shutdown), and the same issue repeats(currently running a party check since last night :()

i have an external XBMC connected to the array (thus probable sickbeard could have been busy updating scraping information), and the Unraid box also have the folder caching script running.

Any recommendations as to why an unclean shutdown could be detected, as i would like to avoid having to regenerate/check the parity every time i power it up ( stresses all the components....)

current version : 5.0-rc8a

if an before and after syslog is needed, i will test with the power down script via the putty console in an few hours (i noted it makes a back-up before the powerdown)

thx for any ideas

Neo_X

Quite simple, you used the power button. That will not cause a clean shutdown. You need to:

- use the webinterface

- use the powerdown command in console

If you want to spend some time tinkering; there are some people who have linked the powerbutton to the powerdown command and/or a third party script. That way you could use the power button to shutdown the array. For most people that is not really usefull, remote powerdown is mostly easier (depends on where the system is located ofcourse)

The latest release should shutdown correctly using the power button.

that was my understanding as well.....

anyhoooow as per my first post - the issue occured after a power button power down as well as a GUI power down.

3rd time isn't the charm , even with the power down script from the console i get issues (ie  after restart parity regenerates again)

link below contains the syslog after the restart

http://pastebin.com/MkhW6pKq

i am guessing the next recommendation would be to upgrade to latest stock version without add-ons?

It will, only if the "emhttp" process is still active and listening on its input for the event triggered by the power button.  It will NOT terminate processes actively having open files or current working directories on the data disks.  It will wait "forever" for the disks to be idle, or until your syslog uses all available memory with "attempting to unmount" messages.

It will, only if the "emhttp" process is still active and listening on its input for the event triggered by the power button.  It will NOT terminate processes actively having open files or current working directories on the data disks.  It will wait "forever" for the disks to be idle, or until your syslog uses all available memory with "attempting to unmount" messages.

very interesting point

i have now reverted to stock 5.0.RC10 unraid, and will wait for the parity check to finish before trying a shutdown again ( will possibly do 2 checks just to be safe)

interestingly enough , when i attempted to backup the flash drive it refused to copy all the files (thus a file system issue on the flash) - after a windows scandisk it was fine - thus it is possible that my flash is n its way to memory-heaven :(

will give feedback once checks is completed (+-3days)

very interesting point

i have now reverted to stock 5.0.RC10 unraid, and will wait for the parity check to finish before trying a shutdown again ( will possibly do 2 checks just to be safe)

interestingly enough , when i attempted to backup the flash drive it refused to copy all the files (thus a file system issue on the flash) - after a windows scandisk it was fine - thus it is possible that my flash is n its way to memory-heaven :(

IF the flash drive is not writeable on shutdown a parity check will be triggered on startup.

very interesting point

IF the flash drive is not writeable on shutdown a parity check will be triggered on startup.

I have to gather that the problematic flash drive was a possible cause - after 2 consecutive checks on Rc10, it stayed healthy after a restart.

thx for the input guys :)

Archived