Motherboard from Gigabyte - 8 Sata 6.0 GB/s for $100

icedragonslair

I'm thinking this is a good board for a plus server (or starter for pro) using all new hardware?

Am I right about this?

GIGABYTE GA-F2A85X-D3H (8 x 6GB/s Sata)

I just picked it up with AMD A10-5800k cpu, 16gb ddr3 1600 ram & corsair 750w PS

$432 shipped gotta love newegg....is this a serious overkill?

I have access to a H57EVO from Asus that is running an i3-540/8gb DDR1333/has 6 x Sata 3GB/s and 2 Sata 6 GB/s that I could swap out for this and use this one for myself (evil grin...lol) or am I better off just using this for my server? (just seems like a lot of wasted features)

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated

Actually the GPU is pretty much usless on either of these systems as they are now, but there may be plans to dual boot in this things future or even run a different OS (paranoid of getting caught holding a short straw). Power consumption difference is nominal (approx. $25 vs $37/year)

I was looking more into the single controler for 8 drives then the 2 controllers that, I suspect have been causing my IRQ faults. My current board and the EVO use dual controllers, whereas this one does not.

I think I would also have looked at the lower end AMD CPUm but I figured for a $20 difference (sale) why bother...lol.

I also use PLEX to serve to devices at my office, if that makes a difference here, but I have to think that the higher perf cpu and the larger/faster ram will make some sort of difference when the server is streaming 2-3 BR ISO streams simultaneously.

Please tell me if I am wrong though,

I thank you for your input mrow,

Thanks,

Ice

I also use PLEX to serve to devices at my office, if that makes a difference here, but I have to think that the higher perf cpu and the larger/faster ram will make some sort of difference when the server is streaming 2-3 BR ISO streams simultaneously.

I assume by office you mean place of work, not your in-house office (E.G. not LAN), if so, have fun with that. No idea about your up speed but trying to watch any video outside of my LAN network is insanely lagging & low quality (Due to plex trying to compensate for my shitty upload speed). However, if you mean in-home office (LAN network) then ignore me.

I assume by office you mean place of work, not your in-house office (E.G. not LAN), if so, have fun with that. No idea about your up speed but trying to watch any video outside of my LAN network is insanely lagging & low quality (Due to plex trying to compensate for my shitty upload speed). However, if you mean in-home office (LAN network) then ignore me.

Not sure who your ISP is but I have no problems using Plex or Air Video outside my home network with Comcast. Works fine at my parents house streaming blurays 100 miles away.

Not sure who your ISP is but I have no problems using Plex or Air Video outside my home network with Comcast. Works fine at my parents house streaming blurays 100 miles away.

I get Sky (UK ISP, 7Mb/s down, .5Mb/s up), however, I've used comcast and their ToS are terrible, I got a phone call from them within ~ a day of them setting it up asking "What I was doing".

Archived