ARGH! Double Drive Fail, one is the Parity Drive!

My friend has this massive fireproof/waterproof/data-rated safe that has an ethernet port so he can store the whole server inside the safe. he's a well enabled geek like the rest of us.

Cooling must be fun!

I do not think it's an issue. The thing is taller then I. something like 3-4 inches thick of solid metal. I'm sure it acts as a heat sink. Although he uses MACs and not unRAID.  he says it works fine for what he needs.

I do something with rsync for a lil extra backup.

I use rsync with the --link-dest="${BACKUPDIR}/${LAST_BACKUP_DATE}" option.

I backup my folders to dated directories. YYYYMMDD, use a script to find the most recent backup folder.

Then use the --link-dest= option with that dated folder name.

It links the next backup folder (today) to the prior one before doing the rsync.

Then the rsync from the source directories occur unlinking and overwriting the newer changed files.

This gives you a running directory of a full backup + the changes for that date.

What's cool is you use 1x the source directory size, then your backup only grows by the incremental changes over the course of the backup period.

You can then delete older directories and still keep your most important dated backups in place.

Because du takes the links into account.

A du down the tree shows the first backup as a full backup and only reports the changed files that are not linked.  This example shows I update almost a 100M a day.

<cut>

See my rsync_linked_backup script via google code page for ideas on how to do this.

This sounds awesome, but I'm not quite confident in my abilities to implement it (and don't have the time right now). Would make a great plugin with a nice webgui! :)