ASRock Z77 Extreme 11

Hi

Im make this topic because some people consider buy this Mainboard

Z77%20Extreme11(m).jpg

Short Spec:

8 SAS2/SATA3 from LSI™ SAS 2308 PCIe 3.0 x8 Controller

3-Way SLI & 4-Way CrossFireX supported by PLX 8747 bridge

Premium Gold Caps, Digi Power Design, 8 + 4 Power Phase Design, Dual-Stack MOSFET

Supports Dual Channel DDR3 3000+(OC)

3 x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots, 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 Slot, 1 x mini-PCI Express slot

Intel® PCIE Dual Gigabit LAN with Teaming Function

12 USB 3.0 (4 Front, 8 Rear) + 10 SATA3 (includes 8 SAS2/SATA3)

7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec), Supports THX TruStudio™

Supports ASRock XFast 555, Fast Boot, Restart to UEFI, Dehumidifier, OMG, Interactive UEFI

Supports Intel® Smart Connect, Intel® Rapid Start, Lucid Virtu Universal MVP

Free Bundle : 1 x WiFi + BT Module, 1 x ASRock Wi-SB BOX, MediaEspresso 6.5 Trial, Google Chrome and Toolbar

Full spec:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme11/?cat=Specifications

For me this mainboard is great, have all thing what i need, Include latest LSI 2308 chipset on PCIE 3.0 :)

and 2 LAN -1Gb working in LAN Timing

Im buy this Mainboard for VMware ESXi, and after install system i must say working perfect.

Vt-d, and other virtu technologies work including Direct I/O for LSI :) (im also test DVB Tuners PCIE over Direct I/O - working without errors)

But unfortunately under unRaid i get errors from LSI when system try make parity Sync :(

here logs

http://pastebin.com/Tkew5YgU

https://truck.it/p/DYfTCXdmN9

https://truck.it/p/edRg1f0Xa1

Only one good news is this same error i get under unraid (when unraid is main system)

and vmware + unraid (so im only sure the Direct I/O working OK :) )

Im read some article on unraid forum about changing BIOS of LSI

(and yes this is possible to for this mainboard like for normal outside PCIE card)

im upgrade from 13.0 FW to 14.0, but nothing help, im later read the best option is use "IT" firmware

but from DOS or Linux i cant make crossFlashing (from IR to IT) version

Im try make from EFI shell, people on many forums say this is 100% working methood - maybe this is true

Anyway after one day of fight (how run EFI Shell, because mainboard dont have in BIOS flash environment of EFI shell)

im finly run EFI from USB, but im now stuck on Error: Application not starter from Shell :(

This is for me last step for upgrade bios to FW 15.0 and switch working mode from IR to IT ...

- maybe this help working normal unRAID, but im not 100% sure, this could be also Kernel bug or driver ...

If somebody have some suggestions what could help with this mpt2sas error, please let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to post. This is not the cheapest motherboard in the world but feature wise its is a lot of bang for your buck. It is also available globally as opposed to say the Supermicro line.

I would hope to see this fully supported soon but likely that will need a kernel update or some specific Limetech work.

Keep us all posted.

Hi

I get filny working LSI 2308 under unRAID !!!! :)

After successful cross-flashing firmware of LSI from IR to IT - now finly good working without errors from kernel and crashes :)

Here all files needed to flash LSI - include EFI

https://truck.it/p/p2cq7xHBkI

Boot from F11 and choose USB with this files (Flash drivie must have FAT32 filesystem)

After start EFI shell tap:

map
#for list storage devices, find USB flash drive - most fs0 or fs1
#now tap:
fs0:
#next wee need erase Firmware, in other way LSI not allow us to write IT firmware
sas2flash.efi -o -e 7
#and now we need Flash new IT
sas2flash.efi -f 2308IT14.ROM
#SUCCESS and we can reboot 

After boot

mpt2sas0: LSISAS2308: FWVersion(14.00.00.00), ChipRevision(0x05), BiosVersion(00.00.00.00)

mpt2sas0: Protocol=(Initiator,Target), Capabilities=(TLR,EEDP,Snapshot Buffer,Diag Trace Buffer,Task Set Full,NCQ)

mpt2sas0: sending port enable !!

After one day test on EXSi 5.1 eveything good working include LSI2308 maped over Direct I/O to virtual unRAID :)

Soon more ....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So all my searches and narrowing down motherboards keeps leading me back to the "ASRock Z77 Extreme11".  However, finding if unRAID is supported is hard to do.  Have you have any problems since your posts?  I'm about to pull the trigger on buying this board.  The ratings on newegg are not very good.  :(

I know unRAID doesn't need much RAM but I may go ahead and buy the max 32 GB so I know I have matching ram.

It would be nice to set this up with Windows 2008-R2 and run unRAID in a Hyper-V VM.  Has anyone successfully done that and still allow the drives to power down?

What is prompting you to consider the ASRock?  Unless it's something specific that only this board will do, I'd suggest you go with one of the more popular motherboards.  At least you'll have a much larger pool of people to draw from for support.

Lots of SATA connections and lots of PCIe 3.0 slots are the primary reasons.

Fair enough then!  I hope you can find someone (or the OP) to comment further on how well the board works.

That is indeed a valid concern of mine.  I also didn't want to buy an additional PCIe SAS card.  However, sometimes the extra $ is far better than the headaches that could ensue.    :D

I'm going for a 24 drive unRAID setup in a Lian Li PC-D8000 case.  Definately plenty of room for any motherboard and PCIe card combination so I'm not 100% tied down to the ASRock Z77 Extreme 11.  My second choice is one of the Z77 ASUS boards.  Same basic features but without as many SATA connections.

Considering the cost of the Z77 Extreme 11, here in Europe close to 400 Euros.

http://www.amazon.de/ASRock-Z77-Extreme11-Sockel-1155/dp/B00A2CQBKE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369129442&sr=8-1&keywords=z77+extreme11

I don't see any point in buying it compared to the X9SCM-F plus a few M1015s. And the X9SCM-F has IPMI, where the Z77 Extreme 11 has many features that are of no use in a server-environment.

The Z77 is a great board for a gaming or multimedia PC but very pricey, here at least.

What is prompting you to consider the ASRock?  Unless it's something specific that only this board will do, I'd suggest you go with one of the more popular motherboards.  At least you'll have a much larger pool of people to draw from for support.

Lots of SATA connections and lots of PCIe 3.0 slots are the primary reasons.

Those connectors are angled, I rather have them pointing straight up.

Those connectors are angled, I rather have them pointing straight up.

Yeah I agree.  I've seen this to be more and more common.  However, I can see the advantages where cables will go straight out from the MB for cleaner routing.  You can always use a cable with the proper 90 degree connector... On at least the first row.

price is not very bad if you buy other maiboard and separate LSI 2303 on PCIE 3.0 ;) (separate card PCIE on LSI 2308 - 300$)

I've planned to get two of the LSI 9207-8i.  I can get it for $233.xx and it is PCIe 3.0 and SATA3 6Gb/s.  Anything wrong with this card?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm gonna go ahead and get the ASRock Z77 Extreme11 board.  I know it is a little overkill for my unRAID build but I can always move it into a gaming rig and get a different MB if necessary.  I'd like to see how the huge amount of on-board SATA ports work out.  So, if all goes well, I'll have SATA 6Gb on all drives in a 24-drive system.

Just waiting on some cables and I need to order some case fans too.

Computex: ASRock debuts Z87 motherboard with 22 SATA-ports

We'll start you off with the Z87 Extreme11/ac. This E-ATX motherboard is the manufacturer's most complete and high-end creation to date. It features no less than 22 SATA-ports.  Six SATA 6 Gb/s connectors come from the Z87 chipset. The additional sixteen SAS/SATA ports are courtesy of an LSI SAS 3008 + SAS 3 x 24R controller. The board also features Thunderbolt, 802.11ac and dual Gigabit LAN.

Z87%20Extreme11%20AC%201.jpg

Computex: ASRock debuts Z87 motherboard with 22 SATA-ports

We'll start you off with the Z87 Extreme11/ac. This E-ATX motherboard is the manufacturer's most complete and high-end creation to date. It features no less than 22 SATA-ports.  Six SATA 6 Gb/s connectors come from the Z87 chipset. The additional sixteen SAS/SATA ports are courtesy of an LSI SAS 3008 + SAS 3 x 24R controller. The board also features Thunderbolt, 802.11ac and dual Gigabit LAN.

Anyone have any guesses on the cost? I say at least $400 bucks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello,

I got the SAS3008 fixed, and it is now flashed in IT mode with the new BIOS.  PHEW!

When I boot it up, it shows all the drives, and I can go into the SAS BIOS and it shows everything now, as well as on the boot screen.

The problem I have is that in unRAID, the drives do not show up.  I pulled 5 drives and placed them on the mobo SATA ports, and those show up.

Do I need a driver for the LSI SAS 3008 to work, even if it is in IT mode?

Dave

Here is the IT BIOS:

www.davelikesbeer.com/lsi_it_mode_sas3008.zip

and if you want to go back to stock IR mode and make RAID0/2/10 array, like the way it shipped:

www.davelikesbeer.com/lsi_ir_mode_sas3008.zip

• 3 years later...