[Solved] No GUI no telnet no shares and no syslog after upgrade and roll back

I upgraded to rc12a at the weekend, realised that it didn't play nice with my media server and rolled back to 4.7. (Not an Unraid problem, a problem with my media server- DF Solutions Base media server)

I followed the upgrade procedure and everything worked as expected. Then I rolled back using the backup of the flash I made before the upgrade when everything was working perfectly.

Now I can't get into the server at all. No shares on the network, no web GUI, no telnet and no chance of getting a syslog but i can ping the ip address and get a reply. Is there anyway to get in to find out what the hell is going on?

I upgraded to rc12a at the weekend, realised that it didn't play nice with my media server and rolled back to 4.7. (Not an Unraid problem, a problem with my media server- DF Solutions Base media server)

I followed the upgrade procedure and everything worked as expected. Then I rolled back using the backup of the flash I made before the upgrade when everything was working perfectly.

Now I can't get into the server at all. No shares on the network, no web GUI, no telnet and no chance of getting a syslog but i can ping the ip address and get a reply. Is there anyway to get in to find out what the hell is going on?

system console?

How do I get to it? I know I have to connect a monitor and keyboard but how do I actually grab the log?

Depends where it hangs, if you can full control (just no internet access) you would login and type:-

cp /var/log/syslog /boot/syslog

if you can't load up, then where do you hang?

If you hook up  monitor and a keyboard you can logon just like you would in a telnet session, userid ROOT, password <WHATEVER YOU MADE IT>.

The syslog is found in the directory /var/log

Easiest way to view it is to do:

cat /var/log/syslog | more

If you want to watch the syslog as it grows the command would be:

tail -f /var/log/syslog

What is easiest probably is copy the syslog to the flashdrive, then power down the system and remove the flashdrive, put it in a windows box and read the syslog file on it thru notepad:

cp /var/log/syslog /boot

While you have the flashdrive in your windows machine give it a chkdsk, chances are the flashdrive is defect.

If you find that you cannot logon at all (no logon prompt), then it is also likely your system is not booting at all, in that case check your bios settings to see if it is still setup to boot from the flashdrive, would not be the first time that those settings magically change and your box is trying to start from an array drive (and that is not possible).

If you CAN get to the syslog, post it here, we''l have a look !

In general if shut down the machine, and NEVER power it back up while you remove the flash drive; reconfigure it (on another system); and then plug the flash drive back in the SAME USB port it was in, then it will boot fine.

If you've applied power to the system;  or use a different USB port; the BIOS often tries to boot from a hard drive instead of the USB stick, and you have to reset it in the BIOS.

I've encountered this several times over the years, with several different motherboards.