[SOLVED] Migration from 4.7 to 5.0 rc12a error

Ok so I read through the release notes.. followed the instructions.. and things have gotten worse... All I wanted to do was upgrade my parity drive to 3tb... I havent ha..d to do anything with this server other than change drives that died since version 4.6

My bootup now freezes at "verifying DMI Pool Table Data".. all of my data is still on my disks.. I have my original flash drive that has the license on it.. I even tried a new install with a brand new purchased flash drive but that wont retrieve an IP address from DhCP..

What is left for me to do from beginning to end..

Okay, hopefully you ran a parity check BEFORE starting this upgrade, and know that all disks are okay.

The easiest way at this point is to simply create a new configuration.  The downside of that is that you will be running "at risk" until you have the new config built and do a parity sync.

HOWEVER ... before you do any of that, check something:    Boot to the BIOS, and be SURE that the first boot device is your USB flash drive.    I suspect it is not.    Since you're already using a "... brand new purchased flash drive ..." the system SHOULD at least boot to UnRAID (you'll have to set up the config at that point).

If the issue is simply the boot device, then once you resolve it you simply need to set up the config in v5.  Be VERY careful that you assign the correct data drives.    Do you KNOW for certain the serial # of the parity drive?  (and, if you had one, the cache drive)    If you're not sure, then there's a slow, methodical process you can use to build-up your array, but first confirm whether or not that's necessary.

This thing keeps spiraling downhill.. system is sooo fragile...

I can get into the bios but I cant move around it.. I tried three different keyboards and I cant move the prompt to check the boot order...

My parity and array were all green before I started so I am of the belief that my data is still intact.. I still have the original usb stick and I have a backup of the files that were on it before I started changing things.. it seems like hardware issues

What are my options at this point.. Is it possible to move the disks to a different motherboard and preserve my data? I also have some IDE and SATA expansion cards in there...

if so.. what is the best one to get at this point ..

This thing keeps spiraling downhill.. system is sooo fragile...

I can get into the bios but I cant move around it.. I tried three different keyboards and I cant move the prompt to check the boot order...

My parity and array were all green before I started so I am of the belief that my data is still intact.. I still have the original usb stick and I have a backup of the files that were on it before I started changing things.. it seems like hardware issues

What are my options at this point.. Is it possible to move the disks to a different motherboard and preserve my data? I also have some IDE and SATA expansion cards in there...

if so.. what is the best one to get at this point ..

If you can't even access the BIOS, you have a problem that's not related to UnRAID.  Does your system have PS/2 ports for the keyboard?    If so, are you in fact using a PS/2 keyboard?    If not, that's probably why you can't maneuver in the BIOS.    And if you're using a USB keyboard, be sure it's WIRED ... not wireless.

Before you do ANYTHING else, you need to resolve the ability to get to the BIOS !!

I hit delete and get to the bios screen .. after the cards load up it takes me to the bios screen.. at that point the arrows dont move the selector... it is a wired ps/2 keyboard..

Okay, shut down;  unplug ALL of the hard drives and the USB flash drive;  then try to access the BIOS again.    If you can get to it okay, shut down again;  plug in the USB flash drive;  boot back to the BIOS; and be sure it's the first boot item.  Then reboot and see if UnRAID boots okay (with no disk drives connected).    If that works, I'll suggest the next few steps ...

Unplugged all drives.. got into bios.. set all boot devices to usb... used new flash drive with unraid 5.0 12a.. got "Boot Error"

You don't need ALL boot devices set to USB  :)

Just the first one.  Note that on some motherboards, you have to set the 1st boot device to Hard Drive; and the first Hard Drive (a separate list in the BIOS) to the USB Flash drive.

In any event, the next task is to get it booting to the USB flash drive.  As long as you're getting an error message from the BIOS, you are NOT booting to the flash drive.

If you're not CERTAIN that the USB flash drive is bootable, you could reformat it and recreate a bootable UnRAID flash.  If you're going to do that, FIRST be sure that you copy your UnRAID KEY from the drive, so it's not lost.    Then plug it into a Windows box and run the "Make_Bootable.BAT" utility that comes with the UnRAID AIO download.

Reformatted usb.. the key is backed up.. extracted unraid 4.7 to it.. made the drive bootable.. back to stuck on Verifying DMI Pool Data...

Verifying DMA Pool Data almost  certainly means the system is NOT trying to boot from the USB Flash drive.

Look VERY carefully at how you have the boot options set in the BIOS.    Or if your board has a hotkey to generate a boot menu (often F12, ESC, or F10), use that, and pick the USB flash drive.

Ok, do you know FOR CERTAIN which drive was the parity drive and (if you had a cache drive), which was the cache?

If so, then connect all of the drives EXCEPT those;  boot to UnRAID;  and assign all of those drives to data slots.    Then Start the array -- if it shows ANY drives that say they need formatted, STOP.  Do NOT format the drives.

If everything looks okay, you now have a v5 array, but it's not yet fault-tolerant. 

Shut down; connect your new 3TB parity drive;  then reboot to UnRAID and assign the parity drive.  Start the array and let it do a parity sync [This will take several hours ... let it run overnight].    After it finishes, run a Parity Check ... this will also take several hours.

When that's all done, you're up-and-running on RC12a with a 3TB parity drive  :)

Ok.. now everytime I copy my key file to the config folder and reboot... I lose my connection to the network .. ifconfig has no ip address.. ive re formatted 3 times and lose the ip everytime I reboot after adding to the config folder.. ive rebooted the router several times as well...

Ok.. now everytime I copy my key file to the config folder and reboot... I lose my connection to the network .. ifconfig has no ip address.. ive re formatted 3 times and lose the ip everytime I reboot after adding to the config folder.. ive rebooted the router several times as well...

Does it boot okay without the key file?    Are you copying ANYTHING besides the key file ... i.e. any configuration info (GO file, etc.)?