unRAID Server release 4.4 (final) available

limetech

I think the speeds have something to do with a combo of your board, drives, boot options, etc. I'm experiencing increased speeds all around. I'm seeing 15-20MB/S write speeds with 4.4 Final.

You can achieve SUSTAINED write speed above 15MB/s? And by sustained I mean writing several gigabytes with this speed. I'm asking because for systems like UNRAID there is typical an initial burst of speed and then huge speed decrease as transfer continues. This behavior is common not only for UNRAID, but also for cheap NAS solutions for home segment. I found an UNRAID review in some online computer magazine some time ago and they come to the same conclusion with sustained writing speed way below ten megabytes per second.

Virtually all of my transfers are 20-30GB files.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd think you've got a networking or computer issue. Does your Unraid machine has the parity and data drive on the same PCI buss to SATA card by any chance?

From Vista to Unraid over 100Mbps network I can get around 11MBps transfer speed coming close to saturating the 100Mbps network. The hard drives aren't working even close to full-time either so I know it could do more. Watching the drives, I'd expect at least 2X the speed over a Gb network. But then, doing much else on the writing machine at the same times seems to slow it down.

Peter

I'd think you've got a networking or computer issue. Does your Unraid machine has the parity and data drive on the same PCI buss to SATA card by any chance?

From Vista to Unraid over 100Mbps network I can get around 11MBps transfer speed coming close to saturating the 100Mbps network. The hard drives aren't working even close to full-time either so I know it could do more. Watching the drives, I'd expect at least 2X the speed over a Gb network. But then, doing much else on the writing machine at the same times seems to slow it down.

I'm using no SATA cards, because my motherboard has six SATA ports and they are still sufficient for me. The rest of the system is mostly idle, because 1TB Seagate Barracudas 7200.11 are utilized way below their limits and CPU according to top shows something like 5% utilization with occasional peaks to 30%.

Dusan:  A speed of 3MB/s is typical of a drive that is using PIO mode, so something is wrong.  We need to see another syslog, but I suggest that we take this to a new thread.  If you could create a new topic, and post your syslog (perhaps in the unRAID 4.3 forum), I and others would be happy to examine it, and see if we can come up with other suggestions.  Also, could you specify your hardware, at least what motherboard you are using?

Dusan:  A speed of 3MB/s is typical of a drive that is using PIO mode, so something is wrong.  We need to see another syslog, but I suggest that we take this to a new thread.  If you could create a new topic, and post your syslog (perhaps in the unRAID 4.3 forum), I and others would be happy to examine it, and see if we can come up with other suggestions.  Also, could you specify your hardware, at least what motherboard you are using?

3MB/s is the lowest point of transfer speed fluctuation, the average speed is something between 7 nad 9 MB/s. I can post syslog as you proposed, but I'm fairly sure that my disks are fine, because I followed all suggestions posted here including switching from IDE to AHSI mode in BIOS and removing the compatibility jumper on my Seagates (both with almost no performance gains). When testing hard drives speed I'm getting consistently something like:

root@StorageServer:~# hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads:   1824 MB in  2.00 seconds = 912.42 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:  312 MB in  3.01 seconds = 103.70 MB/sec

And according to User Benchmarks (http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=User_Benchmarks) with something about ninety MB/sec of Average Parity Check Speed I'm pretty much around the top of the heap. So I wouldn't blame my disks for poor performance.

P.S. Motherboard I have chosen is ASUS M3A-H/HDMI AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G as it has 6 SATAs, onboard VGA and costs almost nothing.

User shares "Split level" does not works at all at version 4.4 !

The only thing that affect the split is the "Allocation method".

I downgraded to version 4.4-beta2 and the "Split level" works perfectly.

It seems that something is wrong with 4.4 final. Could be the new feature for split level by folder name char caused the normal split level to stop functioning.

I have noticed that in version 4.4 the timezone does not stay set between reboots.  I must go to settings and hit apply after each reboot.

I posted this in the lounge section and it was confirmed by another user.  I re-posting it here as it pertains to 4.4

Fixed in 4.4.1.

User shares "Split level" does not works at all at version 4.4 !

The only thing that affect the split is the "Allocation method".

I downgraded to version 4.4-beta2 and the "Split level" works perfectly.

It seems that something is wrong with 4.4 final. Could be the new feature for split level by folder name char caused the normal split level to stop functioning.

Fixed in 4.4.1.