Virtualizing unRAID with Xen on Arch Linux, XBMC & Windows with VGA Passthrough

Xen would be by far the lowest resource hog. I run it with 1GB RAM and it only requires about 15GB of my SSD leaving the rest for my Windows VM.

If you consider that the host OS is running XBMC as well as Arch and the Xen hypervisor you realise how remarkable it is. I know it's possible to run Arch and Xen with far less (I only have as much as I do for XBMC to ensure smoooooooth playback), say 512mb or so.

So long as you have virtualization capability. Intel call it vt-d, not sure about AMD though. Find ddeeds threads he's the man for AMD... I'll help with Xen as much as I can though - I heartily recommend Arch over any other OS if you've never used it before give it a go.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With video being passed through to the windows VM, how do you go about getting console access to the underlying arch VM if needed?

Also, is it correct to assume that you are running xencenter off the windows VM for management purposes or even perhaps just another system all together?

If arch/xen are booted and the windows vm is off, how do you power it on?

Also, your last comment,

Before doing anything complex like Windows Update it is advised to disable the adapter altogether and perform the maintenance with VNC only. Once updates etc are done, you’re OK again.

Is this any time you apply updates to the windows system, like even if they are automated?  Second, which adapter are you referring to to disable?

Great question and something I've not covered a great deal...

Screen%20Shot%202013-11-20%20at%2021.23.20.png

Let me explain. In the BIOS I have set it so that the CPU graphics are the preferred video output, leaving the full on GPU sat there doing nothing. My Arch server boots up and XBMC launches instantly and automatically, this makes use of the CPUs graphics. If you disable the XBMC autostart service, you are back at the standard console (black and white writing).

The Radeon GPU is disabled remember, so you use it by passing it through the same way as you would any other PCI card.

So XBMC has full control of the console output thus making typing a command in impossible without switching console sessions, no problem - this is where SSH comes in (hence the screenshot). To switch console sessions simply Alt + F2 / F3 etc, same as unRAID.

I launch any VM using the xl toolstack command 'create':

xl create /path/to/vm.cfg

There are other commands such as 'xl destroy (vm identifier)' and 'xl list' or 'xl top'. I'm working on getting a webGUI working to make this easier but honestly, it's not hard as it is.

I use the prompt app on iOS, the JuiceSSH app on Android and Putty on PC.

As for the Windows update bit it refers to the way in which the GPU is reset when the VM reboots. When you reboot a computer normally the card goes through "Function Level Reset" (FLR) and this isn't supported yet by QEMU (what virtualises Windows). It's a little complex to explain but the way around it is to 'eject' the GPU from Windows which performs this reset, however if you don't do it everytime you reboot then you'll crash the host entirely. I'm specifically referring to occasions where Windows update reboots the box, boots up and then before desktop immediately reboots again (this exact situation caused me an issue hence my guidance).

OK, this is making some more sense now.

I was reading on your blog and saw there is the logon and logoff scripts.  Are these enough to handle the disconnecting you speak of?

Essentially my thought was to build a system a step or 2  shorter than yours.  Instead of the need for XBMC, my thought is simple.

Arch with xen. From there I would have my 3 vms, one would be unRAID, another with Linux to run sickbeard/SAB (this as opposed to right on the Arch host) and then Windows as my main system.

I would be directly connected, one video card, so the only thing I would need shown on boot is my win8 desktop obviously.  So close to yours, minus xbmc on a second video card.

This I guess is where my question about the access to arch comes in.  I would simply use a second device/computer with ssh, and issue the switch sessions, right?  Otherwise once in Windows I am in Windows...potentially never even knowing I am virtual...

And then obviously there is still the normal xen center that I can use for access and creating other vms as I desire, correct?

Yeah pretty much! One tiny correction is that I use the hosts CPU graphics for arch / xen and xbmc all in one and have a 2nd video card passed through to windows - I'd recommend this approach as it gives you the most flexibility.

The scripts need to be modified with your PCI device identifier within windows using devmanview from nirsoft.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Do you think if there is no on board card and instead just a single add in card that there is the potential this would not work?

No, whether you have a GPU built into the CPU or a PCI Video Card... It makes no difference.

I have an AMD FX-8350 (No GPU) and a AMD 6450 video card ($20). My server sits near a TV, so I boot into XBMC and use the AMD 6450 to watch Movies, TV Shows, Etc.

With the Radeon open source drivers, you can now watch Blu-ray movies and get DTS-HD, TrueHD and LPCM (you couldn't do until recently). AMD video cards are no longer at a disadvantage in Linux.

OK, sweet, so it could work even with the single card, but it would just be better with 2.

second, your point about AMD drivers, is this in reference to AMD GPUs under things like XBMC?  I think I recall some issues of my own a bunch of months ago where it wouldnt load right, had to go with Nvidia instead.

Ddeeds,  this is great information.  Makes me want to tear my esxi system apart now for fun.

Truth is,  if I can get it working at home,  I almost want to do it at work as an alternative to vmware workstation on my windows desktop.  Run all test vms and even my main rig as a vm.  Way tempting,  but have to make sure it works at home first...

In both cases,  one video card is all I will need.  At home I use popcorn hour to stream,  so the added card for xbmc is not needed.

Ddeeds,  this is great information.  Makes me want to tear my esxi system apart now for fun.

Truth is,  if I can get it working at home,  I almost want to do it at work as an alternative to vmware workstation on my windows desktop.  Run all test vms and even my main rig as a vm.  Way tempting,  but have to make sure it works at home first...

In both cases,  one video card is all I will need.  At home I use popcorn hour to stream,  so the added card for xbmc is not needed.

Its worth it trust me. I consolidated a desktop, xbmc htpc and server into one thanks to xen.

You'll still need two GPUs somewhere within the system to do a windows VM. Basically one for Linux and one for windows. To my knowledge you mist have two as the minimum.

makes sense.when xbmc is running on the main arch system, you essentially exit the "screen" back to the host.  When the other video card is passed to windows, the host system passes everything, so there is no getting back to Arch.

So, the question then is, what if I just run the arch host headless and instead rely on SSH and xen center to do my dirty work.  Once things are up, I have no real good use for the Arch interface right?  Or should it always be available?

the next question is dual head video cards.  Are they passed as one card?  I assume yes, but still good to confirm.

One good thing about this method, with arch and xbmc, no need for passing through the video or the audio card, instead, it is right there on the host itself.

Also, am I passing keyboard and mouse as well and therefore, technically have 2 sets, one for the console and the other for the Win8 vm such as with the need for 2 video cards if I want that level of access?

Impressive work Ironicbadger.

I find it incredible that your game rig also runs virtualised.

Don't you experience frame drops in your virtualised game rig ,when running al those VM's on the same host ?

What with image quality on HD movies when running all your VM's at the same time ?

Maybe a bit off topic but what interests me also is running a game rig in my server rack (not virtualised though, wouldn't dare it myself).

Which hardware did you use (brand and price please) for the HDMI and USB over CAT6 extenders ?

I wanna do the same bould would also need some spdif audio extenders, since I wouldn't pass the audio to a TV set.

I am working through your documents and notice you don't speak of Xen center,  unless I missed it.  With this setup,  does it exist for use connecting from another computer or is it all command line?

Cmd line only for now. Working on a webgui but xencenter is exclusively xenserver os companion app AFAIK.

Small update today I built myself a server rack!

6utumare.jpg

a8aby6yd.jpg

utesa9ud.jpg

well that makes a ton more sense now.

Here are a few questions for you:

1. Is there a way to fix the GRUB 2 boot menu to auto login vs waiting for keystroke?

2. can similar functionality be achieved using xenserver?  I assume in that case XBMC and the likes of other linux apps would be in their own VM as opposed to on the underlying physical host as with Arch.

well that makes a ton more sense now.

Here are a few questions for you:

1. Is there a way to fix the GRUB 2 boot menu to auto login vs waiting for keystroke?

2. can similar functionality be achieved using xenserver?  I assume in that case XBMC and the likes of other linux apps would be in their own VM as opposed to on the underlying physical host as with Arch.

1. Update grub

'Grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg'

This will overwrite your existing .cfg using the values from 09_xen so backup both before doing so in case you loose your pass through. Reboot after you've run this command.

2. Yes. Xenserver does hog the built in GPU so pass through is mandatory to get video out from VMs. Why waste the perfectly capable CPU graphics (video playback wise) this way?

I have to assume this output is bad:

[root@testARCH grub]# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Generating grub configuration file ...

Found Xen hypervisor image: /boot/xen-4.3.1.gz

Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux

Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img

Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux

Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img

error: out of memory.

error: syntax error.

error: Incorrect command.

error: syntax error.

Syntax error at line 183

Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.

Ensure that there are no errors in /etc/default/grub

and /etc/grub.d/* files or please file a bug report with

/boot/grub/grub.cfg.new file attached.done

going to start over...

Any chance you can elaborate some on the LVM stuff?  Seems to be where I get stuck and have the hardest time understanding, even when looking at other sources.

Second, to go back to a previous question I had, if I was to instead go with XenServer as the easier route and suggested once as a starting point by ddeeds I think, can the same level of visualization pass-through be achieved with a windows VM on the system?  Might simplify my life a bit if possible

going to start over...

The solution to your grub problem:

nano /etc/default/grub

Add the following to the bottom:

GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=y

Update Grub:

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Any chance you can elaborate some on the LVM stuff?  Seems to be where I get stuck and have the hardest time understanding, even when looking at other sources.

What are your questions about LVM?

Second, to go back to a previous question I had, if I was to instead go with XenServer as the easier route and suggested once as a starting point by ddeeds I think, can the same level of visualization pass-through be achieved with a windows VM on the system?  Might simplify my life a bit if possible

XenServer is a whole lot easier. However, since you got all the way through an Arch Linux install but ran into a bug... That says a lot about your computer skills. I think if you were to get Arch working and spend a little time learning how LVMs work... You will be quite happy with running Xen on a Linux Distro.

going to start over...

The solution to your grub problem:

nano /etc/default/grub

Add the following to the bottom:

GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=y

Update Grub:

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

What are your questions about LVM?

XenServer is a whole lot easier. However, since you got all the way through an Arch Linux install but ran into a bug... That says a lot about your computer skills. I think if you were to get Arch working and spend a little time learning how LVMs work... You will be quite happy with running Xen on a Linux Distro.

Grumpy, your the man.  That was the fix for my Grub issue.  The crazy thing is that I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet.

One thing I have also noticed is the following upon connecting with putty:

-bash: /etc/bash.bashrc: Permission denied

Anything to worry about?

As for LVM, I guess I just don't quite get what I need.  Should I be using a separate disk for the VMs or are they be placed on one of the partitions created during Arch install? 

essentially these are some of the basics I need to get.  I tried some of the commands against a partition and it failed, so i assume I need another disk for vms.

on your last point, the install was pretty basic, not too painful, just these minor things to deal with

Grumpy, your the man.  That was the fix for my Grub issue.  The crazy thing is that I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet.

Glad I was able to help.

In the future, checkout the Arch Linux Forums. They are the best. If you search for things about linux in google, Arch Linux Forums usually are the ones that pop up at the top. That happens for a reason.

I ran into your exact same problem and I had to find the solution in the installation forum. It's second or third posting at the moment.

One thing I have also noticed is the following upon connecting with putty:

-bash: /etc/bash.bashrc: Permission denied

Anything to worry about?

It should not be doing that.

Let's do the following and give you a fancy console while we are at it (normal user is in blue and when logged in as root it is red plus other goodies).

1. Get the old bash.bashrc out of the way but keep a backup.

mv /etc/bash.bashrc /etc/bash.bashrc-backup

2. Create a new bash.bashrc and copy and paste the following below.

nano /etc/bash.bashrc

# /etc/bash.bashrc
#
# https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Color_Bash_Prompt
#
# This file is sourced by all *interactive* bash shells on startup,
# including some apparently interactive shells such as scp and rcp
# that can't tolerate any output. So make sure this doesn't display
# anything or bad things will happen !

# Test for an interactive shell. There is no need to set anything
# past this point for scp and rcp, and it's important to refrain from
# outputting anything in those cases.

# If not running interactively, don't do anything!
[[ $- != *i* ]] && return

# Bash won't get SIGWINCH if another process is in the foreground.
# Enable checkwinsize so that bash will check the terminal size when
# it regains control.
# http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/bash/FAQ (E11)
shopt -s checkwinsize

# Enable history appending instead of overwriting.
shopt -s histappend

case ${TERM} in
xterm*|rxvt*|Eterm|aterm|kterm|gnome*)
	PROMPT_COMMAND=${PROMPT_COMMAND:+$PROMPT_COMMAND; }'printf "\033]0;%s@%s:%s\007" "${USER}" "${HOSTNAME%%.*}" "${PWD/#$HOME/~}"'
	;;
screen)
	PROMPT_COMMAND=${PROMPT_COMMAND:+$PROMPT_COMMAND; }'printf "\033_%s@%s:%s\033\\" "${USER}" "${HOSTNAME%%.*}" "${PWD/#$HOME/~}"'
	;;
esac

# fortune is a simple program that displays a pseudorandom message
# from a database of quotations at logon and/or logout.
# If you wish to use it, please install "fortune-mod" from the
# official repositories, then uncomment the following line:

# [[ "$PS1" ]] && /usr/bin/fortune

# Set colorful PS1 only on colorful terminals.
# dircolors --print-database uses its own built-in database
# instead of using /etc/DIR_COLORS. Try to use the external file
# first to take advantage of user additions. Use internal bash
# globbing instead of external grep binary.

# sanitize TERM:
safe_term=${TERM//[^[:alnum:]]/?}
match_lhs=""

[[ -f ~/.dir_colors ]] && match_lhs="${match_lhs}$(<~/.dir_colors)"
[[ -f /etc/DIR_COLORS ]] && match_lhs="${match_lhs}$(</etc/DIR_COLORS)"
[[ -z ${match_lhs} ]] \
&& type -P dircolors >/dev/null \
&& match_lhs=$(dircolors --print-database)

if [[ $'\n'${match_lhs} == *$'\n'"TERM "${safe_term}* ]] ; then

# we have colors :-)

# Enable colors for ls, etc. Prefer ~/.dir_colors
if type -P dircolors >/dev/null ; then
	if [[ -f ~/.dir_colors ]] ; then
		eval $(dircolors -b ~/.dir_colors)
	elif [[ -f /etc/DIR_COLORS ]] ; then
		eval $(dircolors -b /etc/DIR_COLORS)
	fi
fi

PS1="$(if [[ ${EUID} == 0 ]]; then echo '\[\033[01;31m\]\h'; else echo '\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h'; fi)\[\033[01;34m\] \w \$([[ \$? != 0 ]] && echo \"\[\033[01;31m\]\[\033[01;34m\] \")\\$\[\033[00m\] "

# Use this other PS1 string if you want \W for root and \w for all other users:
# PS1="$(if [[ ${EUID} == 0 ]]; then echo '\[\033[01;31m\]\h\[\033[01;34m\] \W'; else echo '\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \w'; fi) \$([[ \$? != 0 ]] && echo \"\[\033[01;31m\]\[\033[01;34m\] \")\\$\[\033[00m\] "

alias ls="ls --color=auto"
alias dir="dir --color=auto"
alias grep="grep --color=auto"
alias dmesg='dmesg --color'

# Uncomment the "Color" line in /etc/pacman.conf instead of uncommenting the following line...!

# alias pacman="pacman --color=auto"

else

# show root@ when we do not have colors

PS1="\u@\h \w \$([[ \$? != 0 ]] && echo \" \")\$ "

# Use this other PS1 string if you want \W for root and \w for all other users:
# PS1="\u@\h $(if [[ ${EUID} == 0 ]]; then echo '\W'; else echo '\w'; fi) \$([[ \$? != 0 ]] && echo \" \")\$ "

fi

PS2="> "
PS3="> "
PS4="+ "

# Try to keep environment pollution down, EPA loves us.
unset safe_term match_lhs

# Try to enable the auto-completion (type: "pacman -S bash-completion" to install it).
[ -r /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion ] && . /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion

# Try to enable the "Command not found" hook ("pacman -S pkgfile" to install it).
# See also: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bash#The_.22command_not_found.22_hook
[ -r /usr/share/doc/pkgfile/command-not-found.bash ] && . /usr/share/doc/pkgfile/command-not-found.bash
export EDITOR=nano

3. Let's create /etc/DIR_COLORS and copy and paste the following:

nano /etc/DIR_COLORS

# Configuration file for the color ls utility
# This file goes in the /etc directory, and must be world readable.
# You can copy this file to .dir_colors in your $HOME directory to override
# the system defaults.

# COLOR needs one of these arguments: 'tty' colorizes output to ttys, but not
# pipes. 'all' adds color characters to all output. 'none' shuts colorization
# off.
COLOR all

# Extra command line options for ls go here.
# Basically these ones are:
#  -F = show '/' for dirs, '*' for executables, etc.
#  -T 0 = don't trust tab spacing when formatting ls output.
OPTIONS -F -T 0

# Below, there should be one TERM entry for each termtype that is colorizable
TERM linux
TERM console
TERM con132x25
TERM con132x30
TERM con132x43
TERM con132x60
TERM con80x25
TERM con80x28
TERM con80x30
TERM con80x43
TERM con80x50
TERM con80x60
TERM xterm
TERM xterm-color
TERM vt100
TERM rxvt
TERM rxvt-256color
TERM rxvt-cygwin
TERM rxvt-cygwin-native
TERM rxvt-unicode
TERM rxvt-unicode-256color
TERM rxvt-unicode256
TERM screen

# EIGHTBIT, followed by '1' for on, '0' for off. (8-bit output)
EIGHTBIT 1

# Below are the color init strings for the basic file types. A color init
# string consists of one or more of the following numeric codes:
# Attribute codes: 
# 00=none 01=bold 04=underscore 05=blink 07=reverse 08=concealed
# Text color codes:
# 30=black 31=red 32=green 33=yellow 34=blue 35=magenta 36=cyan 37=white
# Background color codes:
# 40=black 41=red 42=green 43=yellow 44=blue 45=magenta 46=cyan 47=white
NORMAL 00	# global default, although everything should be something.
FILE 00 	# normal file
DIR 01;34 	# directory
LINK 01;36 	# symbolic link
FIFO 40;33	# pipe
SOCK 01;35	# socket
BLK 40;33;01	# block device driver
CHR 40;33;01 	# character device driver

# This is for files with execute permission:
EXEC 01;32 

# List any file extensions like '.gz' or '.tar' that you would like ls
# to colorize below. Put the extension, a space, and the color init string.
# (and any comments you want to add after a '#')
.cmd 01;32 # executables (bright green)
.exe 01;32
.com 01;32
.btm 01;32
.bat 01;32
.tar 01;31 # archives or compressed (bright red)
.tgz 01;31
.arj 01;31
.taz 01;31
.lzh 01;31
.zip 01;31
.z   01;31
.Z   01;31
.gz  01;31
.jpg 01;35 # image formats
.gif 01;35
.bmp 01;35
.xbm 01;35
.xpm 01;35
.tif 01;35

4. Log out and back in to see your changes. If you already created users, delete the .bashrc in the their home directories.

As for LVM, I guess I just don't quite get what I need.  Should I be using a separate disk for the VMs or are they be placed on one of the partitions created during Arch install? essentially these are some of the basics I need to get.  I tried some of the commands against a partition and it failed, so i assume I need another disk for vms.

LVM is the BOMB once you understand it and all the features it offers.

No you do not need a separate disk. If I were you, I would install Arch into a 10GB partition and leave the rest of the drive(s) blank. This way you can play around with and experiment with LVM without having to reinstall Arch.

A brief overview of what LVM is / can do:

An LVM can use a partition, several partitions, mirrored partitions or drives, whole disk, multiple disks, run on top of a RAID array, etc.

First thing you want to do is define the "pool". In your case it will be a partition.

After you use fdisk and create the remaining space into a 2nd partition and make it a LVM type:

Create the Physical Volume ("pool"). In your case, 1 partition:

pvcreate /dev/sda2

Create a Volume Group within that "pool"

vgcreate Test-VG /dev/sda2

Now you can create your Logical Volumes (Your VM hard drives) within the Test-VG (Volume Group)

lvcreate -L5G -nUbuntu Test-VG

That creates a 5Gb partition named Ubuntu on the Test-VG (Volume Group).

You could create another one...

lvcreate -L30G -nWindows Test-VG

That creates a 30Gb partition named Windows on the Test-VG (Volume Group).

You would then fire up a Xen VM and boot into an ISO and include the LV (Logical Volume) as the drive. You would format the drive (LV) from within Windows, Linux, etc. installer.

LVM is kinda of like unRAID but has many more cool features. You can increase and decrease the size of your "pool" no problems. You can add drives of any shape or size and expand your "pool" no problem. You can move VGs and LVs no problem. It keeps track of where it is, what drive its on, etc. You can mirror partition or drives no problem. You take snapshots (basically like what Apple does with Time Machine) and revert back changes you made. You can do Thin Provisioning which the LV only takes up as much room as it currently needs and expands when needed. You can run LVM on top of RAID (1,4,5,6,10) and make it do even more.

Personally, I run Arch on in it's on PV, VG and LV. I assign my "data" (the rest of the parition) it's on PV, VG and LVs. I do this so I take a snapshots of my Arch (takes one command) before I do updates / upgrades or try need software that I may or may not want. It takes one command to revert back to my "snapshot" if I screw up something. I can also make those changes permanent. 

Go ahead and create and delete a couple of Test LVs, VG and PV several times. I think you will get what it is your doing and the light bulb will come on. Then check out the Gentoo Wiki on LVMs (I think its better than Arch at explaining it and providing examples) and it progresses you through simple LVM all the way to the advanced.

If you want to make your life easier...

1. Install Webmin:

pacman -S webmin

2. Edit the following file and allow remote access:

nano /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf

Add your network (example: 192.168.1.0) or 0.0.0.0 to the following line:

allow=127.0.0.1

3. Start the Webmin Service

systemctl start webmin.service

4. Goto your brower and enter your IP address then port 10000 (Example: 192.168.1.100:10000)

You will need to enter the root password of the server running Webmin to use the Webmin interface and administer the server.

5. If all goes well and you find this program useful, make it start at boot.

systemctl enable webmin.service

Below is a list of the standard modules where you configure / mange the following from one WebGUI:

(Note: They have tons of 3rd Party Modules and skins too)

adsl-client

apache

dnsadmin

bind8

ipfw

backup-config

bacula-backup

bandwidth

init

burner

pserver

change-user