Alternative for SNAP. Mounting a TEMP drive outside the array in 5.0 final.

That sounds like an issue that I resolved.  Are you using SNAP version 5.13?

Is it a usb drive?  When SNAP starts it will only mount and share usb drives.

I am using 5.13. No it is not a USB drive but mounted to a SATA port. I didn't have this issue with earlier versions (ie 5.09).

I need the disk available immediately after reboot and without any user intervention.

I am using 5.13. No it is not a USB drive but mounted to a SATA port. I didn't have this issue with earlier versions (ie 5.09).

I need the disk available immediately after reboot and without any user intervention.

SNAP mounts and shares usb drives only on startup.  It does not mount SATA drives.  If it did that before, it was unintentional.  You can mount and share the drive on reboot by adding the following line to your 'go' file:

/boot/config/plugins/snap/snap.sh -ms yourdrivesharename

This will mount a share the drive.

I use an older version of bennie-chan's drive mount plugin. He is in the middle of a rewrite so the latest one is a little buggy still, but I'd recommend it for mounting an app or whatever drive. I have a slightly modified version of his old plugin that is not SF dependent if you want it... Just allows you to configure a static mount for non array drives... Simple simple.

I was also looking for such an "alternative" solution.

My plan was to use a USB3-connected drive as TimeMachine drive for my macs on my LAN.

The problem I ran into with SNAP was that it automatically mounts and shares the drive that it has assigned to manage. Now that is of course not a "problem" per se, as SNAP was designed to do exactly that, as I understand.

For my TimeMachine share though, that is not what I want. I want the TM share not be exposed via smb but only via AFP as dedicated timemachine share - and thats not (yet) possible using SNAP, right?

I came up with a somewhat dirty hack: I created a TM share on my cache drive (using the cache-only setting) and (since i don't want to use the cache drive as TM target itself - its only a 120G SSD) I am mounting the USB drive into that folder manually afterwards. This way i'm able to use the unRAID GUI to configure the TM share but still make the data go to an unmanaged drive directly.

The remaining thing yet to be solved is that this manual mount only works, once the user shares are created. so adding the manual mount command at the end of the go script fails as the mount target doesn't exist at that point.

Also when using the GUI to Poweroff/Reboot the system, I have to manually unmount the USB disk first, otherwise the usershares cannot be unmounted.

Do you guys see any problem with my approach/hack in regards to the array (or the unRAID system in general) ... since i'm not that much of a linux crack.