Remote Shutdown/WakeOnLAN of Unraid

i did unplug it, to plug in one of my old LinkSys Wireless G routers to take its place until i either find a solution or a replacement...i know i probably shouldn't have, but frankly, i see little hope for saving the Cisco.

my old LinkSys already had DD-WRT on it, and i am yet again reminded of how much better that firmware is that pretty much anything else out there.

i may have found another Netgear Wireless N or a LinkSys Wireless N for $30 and $20 respectively, so aside from the pain of seeing a $120 Cisco turn into a paperweight, i may just be ok once the pain subsides...after all i've been through, certain things are quicker to forget than others.

i did do the 30/30/30, and interstingly enough, the router is now lit up properly again, so there is hope, i guess.

a really stupid question: when i try to ping it, do i put the network cable into the WAN port, or one of the LAN ports? i do know that i always need to change the IP number of my MBP, according to whether i ping 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1.

the router did come back, but without WiFi working...re-flashed the LinkSys firmware again, but still no WiFi...got online to chat with their tech "support", and was given the option of paying $49 for an incident...when i told him that this device has given thousands of people nothing but problems from the start, he sent me a link to the newest firmware and told me to re-flash then do another 30/30/30, which i did...and now the router is completely un-reachable...turns out the link he sent me was to a new hardware version of the device (even though i gave him my serial number)...spent another 2hrs trying to gain access to it, but no go.

back on my old LinkSys Wireless-G 10/100 router running dd-wrt now, poking along...never again will i drop money on a Cisco/LinkSys router...so frustrated about an entire day of my life wasted on this.

tomorrow is another day, probably looking for another router...thanks again for all your help folks, and sorry for this off-topic drama!

the router did come back, but without WiFi working...re-flashed the LinkSys firmware again, but still no WiFi...got online to chat with their tech "support", and was given the option of paying $49 for an incident...when i told him that this device has given thousands of people nothing but problems from the start, he sent me a link to the newest firmware and told me to re-flash then do another 30/30/30, which i did...and now the router is completely un-reachable...turns out the link he sent me was to a new hardware version of the device (even though i gave him my serial number)...spent another 2hrs trying to gain access to it, but no go.

back on my old LinkSys Wireless-G 10/100 router running dd-wrt now, poking along...never again will i drop money on a Cisco/LinkSys router...so frustrated about an entire day of my life wasted on this.

tomorrow is another day, probably looking for another router...thanks again for all your help folks, and sorry for this off-topic drama!

Perhaps you could get s'more tech support since you were directed to reflash with the wrong firmware.  Maybe there's some other issue with this router.

i may or may not sink more time into trying to recover that router, but after wasting an entire day and yet another morning on this, i picked up a used WRT320N off craigslist for $10, flashed it with dd-wrt, and was up and running in 10mins, with download speeds even greater than the EA6500AC (go figure)...will probably try to to revive the EA6500AC, so that i can sell it in factory condition, but for the moment i will focus on the WRT320N, which - with dd-wrt on it - has provisions for Telnet, SSH, and WOL straight from the Web GUI, which i've been able to actually reach from outside my network already.

i will have to figure out now how *exactly* to do all the port routings in order to get the Unraid to powerdown and WOL from the outside, but i think that another important milestone has been reached by having this dd-wrt router in the loop now.

someone on the dd-wrt forum, in an older thread, configured it so that he can tunnel in without opening up another port, but that's still beyond what i can easily understand at this moment...more research is in order.

on another positive note, i've been running at between 8 and 9kwh for 3 days straight now, so my goal of staying under 300kwh/mo seems within reach, maybe even closer to 250kwh.

Good to see you've been able to recover so inexpensively.

Glad you're down in the range you were shooting for on your power consumption.    A bit of an off-topic side note:  I just built a system for a friend (not an UnRAID system) with a new Haswell setup -- an H87 Asus motherboard with a Core i5-4570 CPU; 16GB RAM; a 240GB SSD; and 2 4TB Seagate NAS drives.  I was AMAZED at the power consumption of this => with both hard drives spinning (copying data between them to ensure that was true) this system only draws 35 watts !!    I knew Haswell was designed to be very power-efficient, but I was really impressed.    The consumption jumps up a good bit if I max out the CPU (e.g. Prime95); but for most uses, this system is very unlikely to ever exceed 40-45 watts of power !!

that is impressive, indeed! if i didn't have 15 drives in my Unraid system, and didn't need to manage over 25TB of data, i might go that route, but alas...

last night i was successful in reaching my DD-WRT Web GUI from a cellular connection, go to the WOL page and wake my Unraid server, then telnet into the server and power it down.

of course, i shouldn't use telnet from the WAN side, but don't know the first thing about SSH yet...i'd also like to accomplish the WOL packet from one of the many iPhone apps that do that sort of thing, so that i don't have to go the route of the web GUI, which is a bit clunky, but i've not yet managed to trigger the port correctly from the WAN side.

but i am beginning to feel like i'm close to the original goal i set, thanks to all of the help of the community, so that's encouraging! the folks over at DD-WRT are also a bunch of class-acts!

that is impressive, indeed! if i didn't have 15 drives in my Unraid system, and didn't need to manage over 25TB of data, i might go that route, but alas...

last night i was successful in reaching my DD-WRT Web GUI from a cellular connection, go to the WOL page and wake my Unraid server, then telnet into the server and power it down.

of course, i shouldn't use telnet from the WAN side, but don't know the first thing about SSH yet...i'd also like to accomplish the WOL packet from one of the many iPhone apps that do that sort of thing, so that i don't have to go the route of the web GUI, which is a bit clunky, but i've not yet managed to trigger the port correctly from the WAN side.

but i am beginning to feel like i'm close to the original goal i set, thanks to all of the help of the community, so that's encouraging! the folks over at DD-WRT are also a bunch of class-acts!

Does your DD-WRT distro have a package or the wget or curl command?

Or  'expect', ncat or perl.

There's a way you can run the command on the router which can automatically connect to the server via a socket and issue the power down.

learn ssh. that's all I can tell you, telnet is an open hole with fairly easy scriptable hack ability.

ssh is also hackable, however, you can set up a key only login so that only the devices you choose will have access to login.

Does your DD-WRT distro have a package or the wget or curl command?

Or  'expect', ncat or perl.

Good question, the answer to which i don't know...i faintly remember a user on DD-WRT writing a clever script that included a couple of "expect" lines, so i am tempted to say "yes" on that one, but as for the rest, i'd have to look through the wiki/forum or post for answers.

i have actually been able to SSH into the router via an iPhone app (ServerAuditor), but once in the command prompt, i have no idea what to do from there...is there a WOL command that could be issued from an SSH prompt? and how would i get into the Unraid server from there, and once there would i just type "powerdown", like i would from a telnet session?

and wouldn't it be "easier" if i were to be able to figure out how to use an iPhone WOL app, such as "mWOL" to send that magic packet directly? and wouldn't it be likely that another iPhone app could be configured to send a simple "powerdown" command to the router, which would - in an ideal world - send that command onward to the Unraid server?

so many questions...

If there's a basic shell, and WOL app, then you can write a simple script to call it.

Present a menu and execute the script to power up and/or do an outbound call do initiate the power down without compromising your password.

If there are VPN apps that are compatible with the iphone and the DD-WRT then that opens up other possibilities.

mWOL says it work from 3G as well. I dunno how though. 

Perhaps you could email the developer.

http://www.mochasoft.dk/iphone_wol.htm

• 2 weeks later...

But powerdown via a single tap on my smartphone/tablet that's the real challenge!  ;)

Long ago, we set up a method (see here) to power down from a Windows station using a tool called TST10.EXE (Telnet Scripting Tool).  I've no idea how much of that still works, but if you search the forums for TST10, you can see several uses for it, that may spark an idea with whatever tools you have available on your smartphone/tablet.  The basic idea was to establish a background Telnet session, wait for specific responses, and send keys and commands (login, then issue a powerdown command).

There are other possibilities too.  There's no reason you shouldn't be able to set up a simple message passing scheme, by creating a button or link on your smartphone/tablet that executes a copy of a special file to a special folder on your UnRAID server.  Then if you have a cron or cron-like process that constantly monitors that folder, you can have it execute or process that file.  The folder has to be in a shared location, and should not be on a drive you want to spin down, so should be on your flash drive or an SSD drive or an always running app or Cache drive, or a Ram drive location that has been shared (eg. /tmp/externalcontrol ?).  If for example the copied file was named 'runme', then your monitoring script would run it, and it might contain a bash script with a command to power down.  Probably lots of other variations to this.  Obviously there is no security here!  I would recommend at least setting up a scheme such as only executing files that begin with 'runme', just to keep it from executing *anything* that lands in there.