vt-d lga1155 mobo with HDMI and IPMI

Hi,

Trying to find a motherboard with all of these features for an LGA1155 i5 3470 chip (which supports vt-d) for PCI passthrough:

• IPMI
  • onboard HDMI output
  • vt-d BIOS support
  • independent sata controller passthrough - not essential but would be nice

Why onboard HDMI?

You could go with the X9SCM-F-O or the X9SCM-IIF and just get a VGA->HDMI cable like this

Hi,

Trying to find a motherboard with all of these features for an LGA1155 i5 3470 chip (which supports vt-d) for PCI passthrough:

• IPMI
  • onboard HDMI output
  • vt-d BIOS support
  • independent sata controller passthrough - not essential but would be nice

Why onboard HDMI?

You could go with the X9SCM-F-O or the X9SCM-IIF and just get a VGA->HDMI cable like this

see my sig - i'm attempting a build for a friend exactly the same. using the i5 integrated GPU to run XBMC and a VGA passed through GPU to run Windows. Being a friend he's not exactly a geek, so i need a way of remotely fixing any issues that might crop up without driving 6 hours across country. IPMI looked to be my answer, but to my surprise i couldn't find a motherboard with IPMI *AND* HDMI.

My issue is sort of fixed by the discovery of vPro by Intel. It is a VNC server on a chip that binds itself to a TCP port directly in the NIC (I believe in much the same way as Supermicro's implementation). I then stumbled across this Gigabyte motherboard which answered my prayers in all but one way, it's only uATX. Ideal board would be full ATX (for add in cards) but I think I'll get away with the mATX for my friends build - it wouldn't work for me sadly, but him it's fine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008TZXRB2/

My quest continues trying to find a full ATX board with vPro/IPMI, HDMI and a SATA controller that I can pass through in 'bits' rather than the more common all or nothing approach.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FYI - don't buy this board. Supermicro X10SAT

I just emailed Supermicro on an issue I've found, which is enabling vt-d and passing through a device breaks the CPU graphics audio output which is useless for XBMC - a showstopper really. Here is bag of sh*t response I got after having spent £240 on a motherboard of theirs.

This is a desktop boards, and it is not designed for Xen or other virtualization applications, only for desktop OS. Therefore compatibility is unknown.

What utter crap. I'm so pissed right now. Will never buy from them again, what a ludicrous statement. Why support vt-d if you don't support it?

I just emailed Supermicro on an issue I've found, which is enabling vt-d and passing through a device breaks the CPU graphics audio output which is useless for XBMC - a showstopper really. Here is bag of sh*t response I got after having spent £240 on a motherboard of theirs.

This is a desktop boards, and it is not designed for Xen or other virtualization applications, only for desktop OS. Therefore compatibility is unknown.

What utter crap. I'm so pissed right now. Will never buy from them again, what a ludicrous statement. Why support vt-d if you don't support it?

So ask for a refund and tell them the board does not work for the application it was intended for because of lack of proper vt-d support.  Supermicro is usually pretty good about that sort of stuff.  You can also try and request to be put in touch with level 2 tech support and or the engineering/development department.  If it truly is broken, like it appears to be, then there engineers are going to want to figure out what might be causing it and see if there is a BIOS fix for it.

So does audio on the passed through graphics card not work?  just the built in HDMI audio does not?  Or is it any device passed through to any VM breaks audio on the built in HDMI?

I am trying to understand why I would care about audio from the built in HDMI port if my goal was to do XBMC.  I would care that the passed through graphics card works as expected as that would be the one driving XBMC.

And congrats on finding all the fun things in hardware testing when you are on the bleeding edge.

So ask for a refund and tell them the board does not work for the application it was intended for because of lack of proper vt-d support.  Supermicro is usually pretty good about that sort of stuff.  You can also try and request to be put in touch with level 2 tech support and or the engineering/development department.  If it truly is broken, like it appears to be, then there engineers are going to want to figure out what might be causing it and see if there is a BIOS fix for it.

So does audio on the passed through graphics card not work?  just the built in HDMI audio does not?  Or is it any device passed through to any VM breaks audio on the built in HDMI?

I am trying to understand why I would care about audio from the built in HDMI port if my goal was to do XBMC.  I would care that the passed through graphics card works as expected as that would be the one driving XBMC.

And congrats on finding all the fun things in hardware testing when you are on the bleeding edge.

Just spoke to the Supermicro distributors in my country and they informed me that there should be no problem the MB to be exchanged in case it does not fill your needs. As this is the situation in the Eastern Europe, I can't imagine the UK Supermicro reseller/distributor will have something against to exchange it for a working solution. Moreover we are not speaking here for a consumer graded hardware but for premium (server) platforms.

Another quote from a follow up email since this morning.

Unfortunately the motherboard is not designed or tested for these application, so there is no fix required for the BIOS.

It is the built-in HDMI output that I use for XBMC, hence why audio output is quite important (imperative). I don't, at the moment, passthrough a graphics card to run any extra XBMC instances, although this is on my todo list.

For the record I have contacted my Supermicro supplier and it was they who informed me that there is usually a 30% restocking fee.

Then I had a phone call from Supermicro in London advising me that I was using the board in a way that wasn't envisaged and did they state anywhere that it actually did support vt-d.

"Apart from the manual?" I sarcastically replied. This was 20 minutes in and it was clear the rep didn't know what I was talking about with 'iommu' on at the OS level. Maybe I'm being impatient or petulant expecting such a pricey board to work as advertised out the box?

IF I can get a 100% refund I'll take it (minus shipping ofc) otherwise I'll keep and just hope it comes good.