First Build - Q25B

Glad you got it to boot okay -- and it was the simplest of the possible problems (a missed power connection -- I presume the CPU Aux connector).

As for not booting from USB => are you trying to boot from a USB 2 or USB 3 port?

... and have you confirmed (by booting on another system) that the USB flash drive you're using is indeed bootable?

I've updated the BIOS to H87I-PLUS BIOS 0904 which is the latest version (11/14/13).

I've tried using the internal connector I purchased (StarTech USB A to USB Motherboard 4-Pin Header F/F 2.0 Cable) and plugging it straight into the back without any luck. When running the BIOS I see that it recognizes the device but I'm not able to boot from it.

To create the usb I followed the Win 7 instructions here, http://lime-technology.com/unraid-server-installation/. Is there some other trick that I'm missing?

I've tried fast boot enabled (with usb to full initialization) and fast boot disabled. I've tried setting the usb device to load as Auto/Floppy/Forced FDD/CD-ROM.

It sounds like your flash drive isn't bootable.

When you created the USB flash drive, did you do EXACTLY this:

(a)  Format it, using a label of UNRAID  (all caps)  and the FAT or FAT32 file system (This should be the Windows 7 default for a 16GB flash unit -- if for some reason it's not, use FAT32)

(b)  Unzip the entire v5 download; then copy all of the files to the flash drive

©  In Windows Explorer, go to the flash drive; right-click on Make_Bootable; and select Run as Administrator.

Gary those are the exact steps that I followed.

To be sure I reformatted and tried again. Still no luck. I do seem to be getting "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart" more often though. It shows that message twice then goes to the BIOS.

Is it worth trying to format on a Mac rather than a Win 7 box?

Try booting another system with the USB flash drive ... i.e. your Windows box.    Doesn't hurt to boot with it ... just be sure you don't assign any drives  :)

You can simply watch the boot on the screen ... if it ends with "Tower Logon" at the end, it booted fine.    If you want to then go to the Web GUI from another machine (i.e. your Mac) you can do so, and then just shut it down from there ... or you can just press the power button on your system (just press it momentarily - don't hold it) and the system will shut down gracefully.

That will confirm that the USB flash drive is indeed bootable => an important thing to know before continuing to troubleshoot.

I wasn't able to get the drive to boot on my Win 7 machine either.

Next I followed the instructions here http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/1081-configure-a-usb-drive-to-be-bootable-useful-for-installing-the-os to make sure the drive was configured to be bootable. Then followed the instructions to create the flash drive with UNRAID. Still no luck.

I now get a message saying 'Disk error Press any key to restart' before getting to the bios. I also see that I have 2 boot options; one that just says SanDisk and the other says UEFI: SanDisk. I've tried setting both to option 1 but was wondering which I should be using.

I'm going to try a spare USB drive that I have at work tomorrow and see if I can get one of those to boot.

I wasn't able to get the drive to boot on my Win 7 machine either.

That's actually good => it means there's almost certainly nothing wrong with your new build ... you just don't have a bootable USB flash drive.    It's possible the new Cruzer Fit has some incompatibility ... like earlier U3 drives often needed the U3 disabled before working.

When you think you have a bootable flash drive, be sure to test it on more than one system if you're having problems with it booting.

In any event, overall it's good news => your new system is almost certainly working just fine  :)

Here is a picture of my SD card. I also took a screenshot of when I click make bootable as run as administrator. From everything I've read it looks correct.

You DO, I presume, mean your Flash drive -- not an SD card ... right?

It looks like you've copied everything to it okay.  But apparently Windows doesn't recognize this drive as a removable drive ... note the error message you're seeing on the Make_bootable screen.

Edit the Make_Bootable.bat file on your flash drive to add the -f parameter at the end of the syslinux line near the end of the file.

e.g. instead of this:  %~d0\syslinux -ma %~d0

you want this:    %~d0\syslinux -ma %~d0 -f

Glad that resolved it.  Several larger flash drives aren't treated as removable units by Windows ... not sure exactly what the threshold is, as it's not always the same size => it's likely a combination of the exact Windows version and the specific flash unit.

In any event ... for anyone else who notices this and has the same issue ... you just need to look for the message about not being a removable drive =>and if you see that, just add the -f parameter.

Tom COULD just add the -f parameter to Make_Bootable and it would always work => BUT that would also mean that if you ran it from the wrong drive (i.e. the system drive on your PC) it would TRASH that drive !!    Probably NOT a good idea  :)

Already back....now I'm getting an error when I check for the ethernet card.

'ethO: error fetching interface information" Device not found'

After some searching on the forums I found that this is an issue with newer motherboards. I'm wondering if Henris had the same issue when he first booted up?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=30306.msg272233;topicseen#msg272233

I did try to reformat the drive. Hoping I don't have to compile a new source.

I didn't have any problems with the network card. This is what my ifconfig eth0 returns:

root@TSS-000:~# ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr ac:22:0b:4f:47:06
          inet addr:192.168.1.54  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:340866 errors:0 dropped:53 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:266830 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:23535120 (22.4 MiB)  TX bytes:17641837 (16.8 MiB)
          Interrupt:20 Memory:f7c00000-f7c20000

root@TSS-000:~#

There are two most likely scenarios: you accidentally disabled or misconfigured (if that's even possible) the network interface in BIOS or the network interface is somehow broken. The latter is quite rare but still possible. I just checked and ifconfig should return something similar even if there is no connection to switch (loose/broken cable etc.). My money is on bios settings.