[SOLVED]Pre-Clearing multiple drives

The configuration tutorial reads  If you are pre-clearing multiple drives it is recommended you also use the optional "-r" "-w" and "-b" options when preclearing multiple drives with these suggested values -r 65536 -w 65536 -b 2000. Is this still a valid/necessary suggestion with version 5? I am running v5.02 and have 8GB Ram installed and plan to clear three 4TB drives concurrently. I've done three 2TB drives in the past with no issue but thought I'd ask before I did my first 4TB drives.

The configuration tutorial reads  If you are pre-clearing multiple drives it is recommended you also use the optional "-r" "-w" and "-b" options when preclearing multiple drives with these suggested values -r 65536 -w 65536 -b 2000. Is this still a valid/necessary suggestion with version 5? I am running v5.02 and have 8GB Ram installed and plan to clear three 4TB drives concurrently. I've done three 2TB drives in the past with no issue but thought I'd ask before I did my first 4TB drives.

I'd use the extra parameters.... or risk running out of memory.  (does not matter how much RAM you have, you only have s much "low" memory.  Type "free -l" to see.

Joe L.

I'd use the extra parameters.... or risk running out of memory.  (does not matter how much RAM you have, you only have s much "low" memory.  Type "free -l" to see.

Joe L.

And the results are:

total      used      free          shared    buffers    cached

Mem:      16621676  10599556    6022120          0    220488  10108652

Low:          766500    459460    307040

High:      15855176  10140096    5715080

-/+ buffers/cache:    270416  16351260

Swap:            0          0          0

Not sure what it all means. Is it good, bad, average? Am I at risk of running out of memory if I didn't?

To run it correctly for two passes i would type "preclear_disk.sh -r 65536 -w 65536 -b 2000 -c -2 /dev/sdX" Yes?

Does using these extra parameters have any effect on the overall time it will take? [im guessing around 80 hours]

Just want to learn more. Thanks for the reply Joe.

If you run RAM-hungry add-ons, you can run out of lowmem preclearing just one 4TB drive. That happened to me on my server with 8GB RAM.

I ended up using my second server (with 3GB RAM) that has no add-ons and I precleared 3x 4TB drives simultaneously. I can't remember if I used any parameters. I don't think I did.