cpu scaling governor question

Hi folks,

I am running 4.4.2 with bubbaRAID 0.0.11 as a starting point. I am trying to get my cpu throttling to work now. My mobo is an ASUS A7N8X-E with an AMD Sempron and nForce2 chipset.

If I 'modprobe cpufreq-nforce2' and the 'acpitool -c' I get:

root@Floater:/lib/modules/2.6.27.7-unRAID-Bubba/kernel# acpitool -c
  CPU type               : AMD Sempron(tm)   3000+
  Min/Max frequency      : 1404/2004 MHz
  Current frequency      : 2004 MHz
  Frequency governor     : performance
  Freq. scaling driver   : nforce2
  Cache size             : 512 KB
  Bogomips               : 4016.70
  Processor ID           : 0
  Bus mastering control  : no
  Power management       : no
  Throttling control     : no
  Limit interface        : no
  Active C-state         : C0
  C-states (incl. C0)    : 1

Looking at the scaling govenors I get:

root@Floater:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
ondemand performance

I cannot seem to set the scaling_governor option to be ondemand. I know that freq scaling works on this mobo because I used to do it in Windows. I figure I'm missing something stupid. Any hints?

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks.

However, that does not work. I have been reading up on how to do this, and I still cannot nail it down for this setup. I added in userspace governor to the kernel, and I can set that, but I still can't set the scaling_setspeed. I put the cpufrequtils-005 package in this build, but now I can't find where the bastard commands ran off to. I must have fat fingered something.

Maybe I need to set the BIOS to user settings so maybe I can override them. I don't think that is correct, but it's worth a try. I know that it can work b/c I ran speedfan under windows on this mobo and could adjust the FSB and FID (multiplier) all day long.

More hints are most welcome...

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks. I had the ROOT set incorrectly when I did the installpkg to my initrd image. Once I got that correct the files dropped into the /usr/bin just fine. cpufrequtils works so so for this setup, but it doesn't automate the process. There are surely limits to stepping down the CPU on this nforce2 based mobo (ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe). Some simple tests showed that I could take it down to about 1.75Ghz (from 2.0) without it freezing. I'm not so sure this makes enough of a difference to really bother.

Meanwhile, playing with this caused a parity check to run which exposed a far more delicate and annoying problem. I'm not touching these type of commands until long after I can cleanly run a parity check, or 2, or 5....