[SOLVED] Some shares missing even after clean reboots

Each share has a .cfg file in /boot/config/shares folder. Did you have those copied?

Yes, I do see all of my shares have a .cfg file. Permissions look fine too (0666). 

I just noticed that my cache drive's light is solid green, even with the array stopped.  Not sure if that is a smoking gun of sorts...

I see you have Headphones...I seem to recall that its incompatible with v5.0.x.

(sorry, I'm at work, and don't have my notes with me, so I've forgotten what all the symptoms are for a Headphones conflict)

Try booting in Safe Mode and post the syslog.

You copied over your entire old config folder, correct, including all the users' info, permissions and password file?

When you go to the user tab on the browser, are all the users properly set up?

Do you have PLEX setup to run from the cache disk? (in some sort of 'applications' share, perhaps. Or with the 'cache' only setting in the user share definition.)

I removed all traces of headphones and booted into safe mode.  Still not seeing my user shares, but my users do appear in the users tab.

I have all of my plugin apps running from mnt/cache/apps, and I have plex and mono (for nzbdrone) in /boot/extra.  I also use unmenu to install various things (vim, etc).  I'm thinking my next step is to disable unmenu to make sure it isnt installing something that is causing this.  Cant believe I didn't think of this earlier...

Here's a safe mode syslog.

Thanks.

Syslog_safe_mode.zip

Oh wow.  That's the brand new flash.  Dang!  I guess I can try the reformat, restore, make bootable one more time, unless you folks have any other suggestions.

Is it possible that I am copying over corrupted data, or is this strictly a filesystem error?

Thank you.

Not clear how this would matter but since you are still getting this on different flash drives with nothing detected by Disk Utility have you tried a different USB port on unRAID?

I have.  In fact, I just yesterday connected the mobo jumper for the front USB ports because my new thumb drive is so much smaller than the old Lexar.  Maybe I should move it to the back after a reformat and see if the mobo USB ports are better.

Is the FAT error likely responsible for the lack of share mounts?  Is it just known to cause general weirdness?  Perhaps I should install a fresh build, and copy only the essential configs to the thumb drive (users, shares, settings, etc)?

If there is file system corruption on the flash it could conceivably make some of you unRAID configuration files unreadable. Don't know if that is really happening or not. If your data disks are still all readable and it is only the user shares then maybe you could just recreate them, but the way unRAID works any folders at the root of the cache drive or a data drive is automatically considered a share. The only thing the share settings does is modify the default settings for a share such as security, included or excluded, split, allocation, exporting protocol.

Does the data all appear to be on the data drives? Do these root folders actually appear on the shares page? If so, then in what way are they missing? Not accessible on the network?

My theory is that the old flash had corruption in one of two areas:

• share definitions
  • user definitions

(There's something in the very first syslog.  It reads to me like there's a share that either has no assigned users, or somehow has a flag that shows the share is 'busy' with some user...and can't shut down properly as a result.  The PLEX share was definitely like that.)

With a new flash drive, if you just copied the folders/files and they were corrupted, you could have a new flash with bad setups.

If you remember your user name setup and your user share setups, I'd try setting it all up from scratch....do a clean install of unRAID and start again.

That's my theory...and it might be worth 2cents.  YMMV ;)

Some good news (that will hopefully help someone in the future):  I got my user shares back!  Here's what I did:

1.  Reformat new thumb drive (which I moved my key to, thank you Tom) and write all zeroes.

2.  Install a fresh version of unraid 5.0.5 (drag and drop all files and run make bootable mac).  This is different than before when I was dragging and dropping my backed up files.

3.  Move pro.key into config.

4.  Selectively move plugins, configs to their folders (shares.cfgs, etc).

5.  Boot, and carefully assign drives.

I now no longer have the FAT error at boot, and all of my shares are back.  I noticed that my user accounts were reset, but that was not a big deal for me (only have 2 of them).  On first start, all of my plugins launched like normal, and aside from a parity check (which seemed like a decent idea), I'm back to normal.

Sincere thanks to everyone who contributed help to me.  This community is extremely helpful, and I know I'm not the only one who appreciates that.  In the end, 3 days without the tower, but I learned a lot.  A few more tweaks, and I'll be back to normal.

Cheers!