[SOLVED] Some shares missing even after clean reboots

Apologies if this post appears twice, I swore I just posted it, and now I can't find it. 

Today, after several years of trouble free unraiding, I found that several directories on my cache drive were missing (the program files for sab and nzbdrone).  After some brief investigation, I decided to just bite the bullet and reinstall them.  After doing this, I decided to do a clean reboot for good measure.  Upon booting, all but one of my user shares were now missing.  I did another clean reboot, but the situation remains the same.  I see that the data for the shares is all still on the individual disks, but the shares dont appear in the web UI or on the command line.

Any ideas?  Many thanks in advance.

Version 5.0.5

Syslog attached.

Syslog.zip

How did you create your flash drive? It is not reiserfs.

If Mac I have seen references to something called "Disk Utility" to check the filesystem on the flash drive. Don't know anything about that.

Anyway, my first suspicion is a corrupt file system on the flash drive you boot unRAID from. Post a syslog.

How did you create your flash drive? It is not reiserfs.

I actually purchased it from lime-tech several years back.  :) 

If Mac I have seen references to something called "Disk Utility" to check the filesystem on the flash drive. Don't know anything about that.

Anyway, my first suspicion is a corrupt file system on the flash drive you boot unRAID from. Post a syslog.

Got it, I'll check it with disk utility and see what I find.

As for the syslog, you'd like another one posted once I scan it? 

Thanks so much!

Here's what Disk Utility says:

Verifying volume “UNRAID”Checking file system** /dev/disk2s1

** Phase 1 - Preparing FAT

** Phase 2 - Checking Directories

** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters

2854 files, 1129216 KiB free (35288 clusters)

Nothing stands out to me, although it does look like it stops mid-way, maybe.  I havent tested enough FAT disks to know...

Sorry I overlooked the syslog in your OP. I think this line is what I was talking about:

Feb 25 19:34:55 Tower kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

sda appears to be the flash since I can see later it refers to disks 0 - 8 by other sdx letters.

Don't know about Disk Utility. Why do you say it stops mid-way? You mean it pauses, or it doesn't complete?

Try booting again to see if Disk Utility fixed anything and if you still have a problem then post another syslog.

Gotcha, thanks so much for the help here.

Disk Utility didn't seem to fix it, here's another syslog.  I have another flash drive, if this one is kaput.  Is there a wiki describing how to migrate my license over/do the swap properly?

You cannot migrate a license to a different USB drive as a license is tied to the GUID of the USB drive it is issued for.

If you have a failed USB drive, then LimeTech will normally issue you a replacement license if you provide the GUID of the new USB drive that you want to use it with.

If you had a backup of the flash, try reinstalling it.

If not, copy off everything onto your Mac...the Config Files, etc. that are on there may be salvagable.

FAT32 is pretty simple...and usually runs very quickly. From your listing, I'd say DIsk Utility finished, and found no problems.

(The FAT32 repair sequence IS shorter than what you'd normally see from Disk Utility.)

If you're not sure that Disk Utility made it all the way through, run it again and be patient. (20 minutes?)

You'll know that its finished because the buttons on the bottom right of the window will become active again.

Otherwise, I'm with itimpi...sounds like a physical failure on your existing flash drive.

If you install unRAID on your replacement flash, plug it into your array, boot up, but DON"T START THE ARRAY. 

Then access your unRAID server from your web browser. See here for details:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Compatibility#USB_Flash_Drives

Same line still appears in syslog.

Just noticed you are running simplefeatures. It is not compatible with unRAID 5.0.5. It has been replaced by Dynamix.

Try booting in safe mode or get to no addons the old way, as seen in dgaschk's sig - Revert to stock system and Stock go file.

You might also try reformatting the flash (after backing it up of course).

Hi folks,

Quick update:  I removed Simplefeatures and booted the array.  The bad news is I still see the following error in my syslog:

Feb 27 09:32:14 Tower kernel: FAT-fs (sdb1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

...but the good news is that I see all of my Shares when I started the array!  Thank you all for the help on this.  One final question:  do I need to be concerned about this error?  Is it worth reformatting the drive before I start using the tower normally?

Many thanks!

Hi folks,

Quick update:  I removed Simplefeatures and booted the array.  The bad news is I still see the following error in my syslog:

Feb 27 09:32:14 Tower kernel: FAT-fs (sdb1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

...but the good news is that I see all of my Shares when I started the array!  Thank you all for the help on this.  One final question:  do I need to be concerned about this error?  Is it worth reformatting the drive before I start using the tower normally?

Many thanks!

Not sure it will hurt anything but I think I would probably see if it did any good to reformat. If you want to you should shutdown and take it to your windows or whatever, copy everything off, go through the initial install instructions, copy everything back.

Run check disk in a PC or Mac.

I have Mac and Linux hosts available, but am having trouble finding check disk for those OS's.  I did run a repair on Disk Utility (mac), and it didn't seem to need any repairing.  I found an open source utility called testdisk, but I have not run it yet.

Run check disk in a PC or Mac.

I have Mac and Linux hosts available, but am having trouble finding check disk for those OS's.  I did run a repair on Disk Utility (mac), and it didn't seem to need any repairing.  I found an open source utility called testdisk, but I have not run it yet.

Then the warning should be gone.

So I just backed up, formatted, and restored my USB drive (using make_bootable_mac).  It boots up, and all of my shares are there, but I am still seeing the dang FAT error.  I guess it's time for a new USB drive.  I'll contact LimeTech and see if I can transfer my license to a new drive.

EDIT:  Just kidding, the missing share thing is back.  Definitely time for a new USB drive.

I want to thank all of the generous folks here for the help and expertise.  You guys are great!

Cheers!

That was a good suggestion, thanks.  I did a 3-pass format, formatted FAT and restored.

I noticed when I ran make_bootable_mac, it complained near the end of an error when trying to unmount (failed to unmount due to error 49168).  I did not see this on my other, newer drive when I ran make_bootable_mac.  It did eventually finish, so I popped it back in, and I get "Non-system disk" at boot (with a monitor attached).  My newer USB drive boots up to prompt.

Am I correct in thinking this USB drive has had it?

Now that it appears I am moving to a new drive, how do I ensure I don't assign the wrong parity drive?  I neglected to get a snapshot before the drive went bad.  :(  Is there a good safe way to make sure I assign them correctly?

Thanks!

Earlier you said you backed up the files from your flash. Did you then delete that backup? If not you can use them on your new flash drive and avoid having to set anything up. You just need a new .key file for the new flash drive.

Yeah, that's what I did.  I moved all the files, replaced the key, and it booted up just fine, identifying all of the drives. 

I have two three remaining problems:

1.  My shares are still missing, save 1, which appears.

2.  When I try to stop the array, I get "Retry unmounting user share(s)..." forever, even when I killall java, python, etc.

3.  powerdown (from command line) kicks me from ssh, but never shuts the box down.

Any ideas?

Here's a syslog.

Syslog3.zip