replace cache Drive, made a mistake, now i got no cache drive. using Dynamix

It a bit of a read but i need some help.

system unRaid 5.0

Dyanmix Webgui

I needed a bigger cache drive.

Thru help of the forum i use mover to copy the contents of the cache to the array.

Once done i took the array offline, power down and replace the drive.

booted back up in the cache tab i did not show the drive, show no device

in the array tab it show ' hey a new disk clear it? i say yes. it took overnight

once its done it tell me it needs to be formatted. also at this point i still can't choose a cache disk because it says "no device"

I hesitate to format because in a nice good explanation its tells one formatted it will bring the array online. I still choose to do it. BAM formatted and it part of the array

!@#$ !@#$ !@#$ i say

In array devices my new cache disk has a nice green dot, when i choose the pull down there is no option for unassigned, just no device (possible a Dynamix flaw)?

I choose "no device" and miraculously the cache tab gives me the option to choose the disk. However the array tab gives me the warning that the disk is missing.

So i try rebooting while leaving the disk set to cache. nope once booted is back to a green dor on the array side.

Im sure there must be a way to fix this.

Pictures

http://imgur.com/a/0TMvY#RWM7Wqb

After assigning it to the array, if you remove it you will have to do New Config and let it recalculate parity.

Not sure what the problem was with getting it to allow you to select it as cache. If you get to that point again, stop and ask for help.

When you say you rebooted, did you stop the array and do a powerdown / reboot from the webGUI, or did you just do a hard powerdown / reboot with the power switch? If unRAID had not committed the configuration to super.dat then it would start back in the previous configuration.

After assigning it to the array, if you remove it you will have to do New Config and let it recalculate parity.

Not sure what the problem was with getting it to allow you to select it as cache. If you get to that point again, stop and ask for help.

When you say you rebooted, did you stop the array and do a powerdown / reboot from the webGUI, or did you just do a hard powerdown / reboot with the power switch? If unRAID had not committed the configuration to super.dat then it would start back in the previous configuration.

yes that is what i did, i found this post from another unraid user as you were probably telling me what to do.

Thanks for the help.

http://blog.ktz.me/?p=243

I dont know how to mark it Solved

PS. Can use MC to copy my cache data back while its rebuilding the parity?

I dont know how to mark it Solved

Click on your first post and it will let you modify it. Then you can add "Solved" to the subject and change the message icon.

Yes. It might slow down the parity build a little but it won't cause any problems.

(possible a Dynamix flaw)?

Highly possible, that not all options are properly implemented/tested in Dynamix.

Even the new (modern) unRAID GUI is not perfect!

When doing such vital changes to the array, I would recommend to revert to the stock GUI.

Don't know.

When doing such vital changes to the array, I would recommend to revert to the stock GUI.

yes i considered this but one of the reason i installed it was because the web-server component was just simple as pie. I needed vbox and after many hours of trying to configure it when Dynamix came along it made so simple.