Seagate 4TB NAS Hard Drive $149.99 Amazon (ST4000VN000)

Superorb

Amazon has this drive for $150 with free shipping. Normally $175 and lowest price was $169.99 according to the Camel.

These drives are excellent for servers and NAS enclosures.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D1GYO4S

Built and tested to provide industry-leading performance for 24x7 NAS applications

Includes NASWorks technology to support customized error recovery, advanced power management and vibration tolerance features

Designed for home servers or desktop NAS solutions, small-business file sharing, backup server applications

Available in 2TB, 3TB and 4TB capacities

Always on, 24x7 - 1M hours MTBF

Off topic for this thread ... but if I recall correctly you're always running non-correcting checks, right?    So are you sure this isn't just a once-in-a-blue-moon sync error that you're seeing multiple times because you don't correct it??    I NEVER run non-correcting checks ... it's really very simple -- if there's an error, I want it corrected.

Off topic for this thread ... but if I recall correctly you're always running non-correcting checks, right?    So are you sure this isn't just a once-in-a-blue-moon sync error that you're seeing multiple times because you don't correct it??    I NEVER run non-correcting checks ... it's really very simple -- if there's an error, I want it corrected.

Yes, I'm sure. I always copy the addresses of the errors and no two have ever matched. Plus sometimes I'll have 2 errors, then I'll have 30+ errors, then the next time will be 1 or no errors, etc. If it's not memory what could it be? I do get errors past 2TB and my largest data drive is 2TB with parity being 4TB.

I do get errors past 2TB and my largest data drive is 2TB with parity being 4TB.

Have you tried replacing the parity drive?    If you're getting errors past the highest data addresses, then it's got to be either an error on the parity drive; memory; or a controller issue.    Sounds like you've already pretty thoroughly tested the RAM and controller ... so I'd try a different parity drive.

I do get errors past 2TB and my largest data drive is 2TB with parity being 4TB.

Have you tried replacing the parity drive?    If you're getting errors past the highest data addresses, then it's got to be either an error on the parity drive; memory; or a controller issue.    Sounds like you've already pretty thoroughly tested the RAM and controller ... so I'd try a different parity drive.

I did replace the parity drive. I had the same random errors with the old 2TB parity and also with the new 4TB parity drive. I really hate gremlins like this :( I was throwing around the idea of getting a new SATA card and moving all the drives to the new card since I'm using mobo headers for all 6 drives.

I NEVER run non-correcting checks ... it's really very simple -- if there's an error, I want it corrected.

If the error occurred not on the parity drive, but on data drive, writing "correction" to parity drive will actually make things worse.

This is a thing I don't like about unRAID - no "bit-rot" protection.