Multiple systems shutdown with single UPS possible?

tucansam

How to shut down several systems with one UPS (and one USB cable)....

Had initially thought about a USB hub, but it seems these are designed to connect multiple peripherals to one host, not the other way around.

Suppose a script written on the machine the UPS is connected to would work, used to gracefully shutdown other systems over the network.

With a mix of linux and Windows systems, seems at least two UPS's would be required.  One to shutdown a primary Windows machine (and then invoke remote "shutdown" commands on the others), and one to do to the same under linux.

As an aside, my primary unraid server will no longer shutdown gracefully on its own.  If I use the "shutdown" button in the GUI, it spins down and unmounts the disks, and then nothing happens.  ssh'ing into the box, issuing the clean shutdown command, also accomplishes nothing (the process starts, various things happen, but the system never shuts down).  This used to work.  Now, I have to run the command several times and make sure nothing related to the array is working.  Even a 'shutdown -h now' command does nothing.  At some point I simply have to power down the server with a long press on the power button.  Not good.

Search for APCUPSD. Many people here are already doing this. This software has the ability to communicate to another APCUPSD on the network. One machine (the master) has the USB connection to the UPS and the other machine (the slave) just has a network connection to the master.

Search for APCUPSD. Many people here are already doing this. This software has the ability to communicate to another APCUPSD on the network. One machine (the master) has the USB connection to the UPS and the other machine (the slave) just has a network connection to the master.

Excellent, thanks!  Will this work with non-APC upses?

Cyberpower explicitly supports multiple PC's on a single UPS with PowerPanel Business edition.  You simply install it as a server on the PC directly connected to the UPS; and as a client on other systems.

However, I don't know whether this will communicate with the UPS support in UnRAID.  Personally, I wouldn't want my UnRAID server's UPS to be shared anyway, although I do have two PC's on my desk that share a UPS.

I have no problems sharing a UPS between unRAID and a desktop Ubuntu machine - the Ubuntu box is configured to shutdown earlier than unRAID.

I have another UPS supplying my router and a Raspberry Pi which is controlling that UPS.

A third, dumb, UPS is used to protect another Ubuntu desktop machine.  That machine uses a network connection to the Raspberry Pi to control its shutdown in good time before the battery runs down on the dumb UPS.

I should mention that we have an average of two powercuts a day (we had six over the weekend), so this technology is very well proven.

Archived