Need help please

Please see attachments.

Wanted to remove four similar drives and add a one-off (removal was to ease system slowness due to older SATA controller which I also removed)

What I did was:

reset the drive assignments that unRAID uses and created a new config

added the drives that I wanted to KEEP to a ‘new’ array

mounted each of the removed drives and used MC to move data to new config (mkdir /mnt/olddrive and mount /dev/sdl1 /mnt/olddrive)

powered system down and pulled drives

powered system up and ran parity-sync

symptoms include no Webgui shares and no UNC shares and current shares cannot be re-created. I can access shares from each drive

I have the old drives handy and a screenshot of the original config.

If I am hosed, please don't try to sugar coat it.

2014-05-05_225155.png.5909b87b3269dbd98b8c7de8990b6980.png

2014-05-05_231335.png.101a3f9f207f1b4733a7a82fc5fed379.png

Please see attachments.

Wanted to remove four similar drives and add a one-off (removal was to ease system slowness due to older SATA controller which I also removed)

What I did was:

reset the drive assignments that unRAID uses and created a new config

added the drives that I wanted to KEEP to a ‘new’ array

mounted each of the removed drives and used MC to move data to new config (mkdir /mnt/olddrive and mount /dev/sdl1 /mnt/olddrive)

powered system down and pulled drives

powered system up and ran parity-sync

symptoms include no Webgui shares and no UNC shares and current shares cannot be re-created. I can access shares from each drive

I have the old drives handy and a screenshot of the original config.

If I am hosed, please don't try to sugar coat it.

Very unclear what you did. You say you moved the files? Not copied?

Either way - do not reuse / repurpose any of the old drives. Even if you moved the files off of them, you can undelete pretty effectively.

Can you articulate better what you did in MC? And did the file operation take an appropriately long time to complete?

Don't panic. My guess is someone will be able to offer a suggestion of what to do. Key is do no harm!

Seeing lots of permissions errors in your syslog.  If you open up mc and browse to each of the drives individually, what does chown report the permissions for each folder as?  Root:root or nobody:users?

Were you using private shares in this config or just public user shares?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

browse to each of the drives individually

Are talking about disk7 or the four I removed?

If it is the four, it will have to wait until after work for me to install them.

P.S. At the terminal windows, I too am seeing stat permission errors when I try to access the folders.

If you have a drive in the array that is part of a user share, and try to copy files from the disk share to the user share, behind the scenes unRaid will be trying to copy the file onto itself. Even if you take the drive out of the user share I believe it will still attempt to overwrite the file. You would have to take the disk out of the share and also rename the directory to something other than the user share name, and probably restart the array.

I remember this condition occurred a while back with MC and a user wound up with zero length files.

Doesn't sound like this is happening here, but it was easily familiar so thought I would bring it up. 

OK, I ran Select Utils->New Permissions with no luck.

Rebooted and "Tower" is running parity again.

@bjp999 - you can undelete pretty effectively

Does anyone have a suggestions on which app to use?

Search and read about reiserfsck. It will effectively undelete files from the disks you moved data from. Based on your story this will not recover all the data, right?

Did you read and understand about copying to a user share and how you could lose data that way? Understanding what happened and why is important and still your best chance to recover all the data.

Post back with any questions about reiserfsck.

Archived