Experienced MOD moves to unRAID 6.0beta on ASRock E3C224-4L

Ok - having a problem.

I got my ASROCK E3C224-4L motherboard, installed the CPU and RAM, and installed it in my server.

The "Dr Debug" LED codes started to display, slowly counting for 30, to 29, to 28 to 27 to 26 then to 15 and then went to 55 and started beeping 4 beeps at a time over and over.

Code 55 says that it could be memory or CPU. I tried 1 DIMM only, tried moving 1 DIMM to different slots, then tried a known good DIMM from my old motherboard. Same thing.

I removed the memory and it did almost the same thing, only this time getting a 53 instead of a 55. I found some users having RAM issues and getting this 53 code, but could find no references to getting a 55 with this board.

Other boards indicated a 55 might mean the BIOS doesn't support the CPU, but according to the web site, the 1270v3 has always been supported on the board. Someone else said they found a bent pin in the CPU socket that that fixed it.

I've taken my CPU out and checked for bent pins. I don't see any, put it carefully back together. Same result. I did this twice.

Suggestions? I'm bummed!

Do some boards require ECC memory?

Yes ... and it seems this is one of them.    Guess you're going to protect yourself against random bit errors after all  :)

Remember when I asked was ECC required for anything? This is the type of thing I was interested in learning ;)

Both Kingston and Crucial, when you search for this motherboard, report non-ECC memory options compatible with this board.

Any ASRock server motherboard users out that willing to share what memory they are using?

AsRock's specifications page shows "- Supports DDR3 1600/1333 ECC DIMM"

No mention of non-ECC support.    Some boards will accept either, but it generally will mention that in the specifications page.

I assumed that since you were debating whether or not to use ECC modules that your manual had indicated you could use either  I've never seen this issue before -- probably because I don't think I've ever known anyone with an ECC-capable board who wasn't buying ECC modules.

AsRock's specifications page shows "- Supports DDR3 1600/1333 ECC DIMM"

No mention of non-ECC support.    Some boards will accept either, but it generally will mention that in the specifications page.

I assumed that since you were debating whether or not to use ECC modules that your manual had indicated you could use either  I've never seen this issue before -- probably because I don't think I've ever known anyone with an ECC-capable board who wasn't buying ECC modules.

Would you be confident to go ahead and order the ECC memory and assume the MB was good if sitting in my shoes?

Note, by the way, that the Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/4G is on the QVL.

The modules you linked to (KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G) are just a pair of the 8GB version of the same modules -- so there shouldn't be any issue at all.    The fact you're buying a pair is irrelevant -- whether you buy them individually or in pairs is just a marketing difference ... they're the same modules.

Everything on the recommended memory list for that board says ECC DIMM.

I would contact the manufacturer first to see if it's mandatory for the board to use ECC. (probably).

To gain confidence in the CPU, trying that on another board is a great idea.

Clear CMOS and try the most relaxed timings possible if the board posts past that.

I know my ABIT AB9 PRO did let me get into the BIOS even when ram timings were wrong.

Try playing with the timings and voltages of the RAM in the BIOS.  It should just work... but yeah we know how that goes.

The first thing I would try and do is maybe find another board/RAM/CPU to test with.  I would start with new RAM modules.

Won't even post. No video. Debug code 55.

Consensus seems to be to get ECC.

Try playing with the timings and voltages of the RAM in the BIOS.  It should just work... but yeah we know how that goes.

The first thing I would try and do is maybe find another board/RAM/CPU to test with.  I would start with new RAM modules.

Won't even post. No video. Debug code 55.

Consensus seems to be to get ECC.

OK, missed that part or skimmed over it.  Annoying not even being able to get into the BIOS.

Perhaps try clearing the CMOS on the board just to make sure nothing funky is stuck in there.

Ordered the Kingston ECC. Hope that is it!

(I did clear the CMOS and tried both the new memory and old memory, one at a time and two at a time in all the slots. I tried everything I could think of!)

I also tried calling ASRock tech support and was shocked to get a human on the phone very quickly. He wasn't too helpful, though, saying to refer to the QVL. He did not know if non-ECC would work or not.

Bingo. Booted like a champ. I absolutely positively can't believe gary let me buy that desktop memory for a server board. What was he thinking!!!

FUNNY!!! Thanks for making some of these points so comical guys!!!

Just think Brian, you are now protected slightly from the cosmic rays.

Your skin may turn funny colors, but your bits may not flip out!

So this thread inspired me to upgrade my rig since it needed some parts replaced anyway...  I put it all together last night and can confirm that the E3C224-4L works fine.  I haven’t tried the ipmi yet as I'm still new to it.  I will tinker with that down the road.  I will be trying out version 6.0 (and the virtualization stuff) soon I suppose.  Should be well worth it.

For reference here is what I put in:

Asrock E3C224-4L mobo

Xeon E3-1245V3 Haswell

Kingston KVR13E9K2/16I (from amazon...same as KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G?)

EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power Supply

We should compare notes. I've heard that updating the BIOS breaks IPMI. But there is something called ipmitool that can fix it. I don't have specific instructions but would like them in hand before starting the update. Have you looked into it?

(Decided to split the topic to be able to document the build progress with the ASRock from the discussion of the other motherboards I was considering.)

Ok - got the server in some form of assembly. Ran a lengthy memtest of my 16G of ECC RAM (33 hours). No errors. (Sending my desktop memory back to Newegg, because my other use for it didn't pan out. The old C2SEE motherboard is limited to 4G modules)

Having some slightly weird issues with the USB. My keyboard numlock works right after boot but then won't work. Could be the keyboard is flaking out, but it works fine with other computers. Read about some issues with USB with this motherboard supposedly corrected with BIOS update.

There are two different BIOSes. One called BMC and the other the regulare UEFI BIOS. Should I update both? I think the BMC relates to the IPMI feature, but also it says that it improves the instant flash feature. And since it is dated the same date as the other BIOS, I am thinking I should do it both.

The instructions are pretty vague about updating the BMC. There are instructions to update it using IPMI, which doesn't make much sense that would be the only way. Anyone have any thoughts or advice with this or a similar motherboard on updating the ASRock firmwares.

I updated my BMC firmware to 0.16, and then the BIOS to 1.50.

BMC firmware must be updated from the IPMI site (Megarac SP).

To get in is very easy. Plug a network cable into the dedicated BMC/IPMI plug and boot into BIOS. There is a BMC network configuration tab. It will tell you the DHCP assigned IP. I did not set it to fixed, just went to Windows workstation and entered the IP address as the URL. Boom, I was in. Userid: admin, Password: admin.

There is an update option. You just need to DL the file from the ASRock (not pronounced "az-rok" or even "ass-rock" :), it is pronounced like the two initials "A" "S" and rock.)

So you download the BMC update, unzip it, then from the Megarac browser session, select to update the firmware. It will give you a warning about shutting down stuff - just keep going. Keep following prompts and eventually you are asked to upload the file. It will ask if you want to preserve the settings. I selected no. Several people in various forums said they had trouble but all said they preserved the settings. Select the unzipped file (should have .ima extenstion) and keep going. The upload is quick and the update is quick. It will restart and you should see the updated version (mine is 0.16) on the dashboard screen in Megarac.

The BIOS update requires you to DL the BIOS zip file and put the unzipped BIOS file on a USB stick, then reboot and select the Instant Flash (F6) option, and it will display the BIOS file, let you select it, and flash the BIOS. Again, painless. After updating the BIOS I selected to restore the default settings.

I then booted unRAID.

I initially connected only 1 network connection (not counting IPMI), and unRAID did not see the network. I had to disable all but the one LAN port I had connected and then unRAID got a DHCP IP address.

If you select "remote control" from Megarac, there is a button for the Java console. Clicking that will open something called Jviewer that allows you to see the console and control it. Very cool. You can see the BIOS screen, and after it boots into unRAID see the console. I did initially get a security error with Jviewer, and had to relax the Java settings (set it to Medium). Not sure how to fix that, but am happy so far. I don't have anything to compare it to but I would say this is an excellent feature! The Megarac "site" is always up. So you can shut down the server and power it up from Megarac. I guess you'd have to unplug it to really take it down all the way.

BTW - because of this it is important to always power down before manipulating hardware (installing memory, controllers, maybe even drives). This will require diligence because it is easy to forget! I plan to put a stickie on the server that I will see next time I crack it open as a reminder.

unRAID 6.0 b5a booted file in Xen mode. No hard disks installed yet, it is waiting for a harddisk transplant with my current prod server eventually, but I am going to play with it with a few scratch disks first.

More to come ...