Gigabit Network

aitf311

I know almost nothing about networking and would like to upgrade my home to gigabit and from what I have read should support jumbo frames.

What I currently have is the Linksys WRT54G powering my house. I would like to continue using it for wireless but bring in a gigabit router for everything else. I'd like to do that because I might upgrade the wireless router as soon as Wireless-N gets finalized. If it makes more sense financially to just get a draft N that supports gigabit then I would be open to that also. Does anyone have any recommendation for my setup?

aitf311,

I think that you are confusing switch with router.

I also have the Linksys WRT54G for WiFi, 10/100 speed routing, and Internet interfacing.

However, I use Linksys SD2500 Gigabit switches to connect my HTPC and media clients with my two unRaid servers.

The WRT54G is coupled to one of the Gigabit switch ports to provide Internet 10/100 speed access to the rest of the clients.

Regards,

TCIII

Awesome, I almost didnt submit the thread because I had the strange feeling I really didnt know what I am talking about. But as long as I get a gigabit switch I should be alright? Can you tell me how long it takes you to send over a gig to your unRaid server from your pc?

FWIW, you can also direct connect the unRaid server to your HTPC and not even use a switch.  That is the route I took since I didn't need the unRaid server to talk to any other systems on my network and I have only one unRaid Server.

Along these lines, if your HTPC has two ethernet ports, you can "bridge" them together easily in Windows XP.  For example, suppose you had a 10/100 port and a Gig port.  You directly connect the Gig port to the unRAID server, and connect the 10/100 port to your network router.  Under Network Connections, select the two ports, right-click on "bridge connections".  Now the unRAID server will get it's IP address from your DHCP server as well.  Transfer between HTPC and unRAID will be GigE rates, transfer between other machines of course will be 10/100 rates.  Of course problem with this approach is that HTPC has to be powered up for other machines to "see" the unRAID server.

• 1 year later...

Are there other uses to dual LAN ports? My Mac Pro has 'em and I've never for the life of me been able to imagine what it would be useful for.

I thought maybe if a workstation uses one to access a storage array and the other to access the network/internet, but no one's Internet is nearly this fast, and if you need dedicated access to a storage array, GigE isn't the best way for high performance so.... what am I missing?

Are there other uses to dual LAN ports? My Mac Pro has 'em and I've never for the life of me been able to imagine what it would be useful for.

I thought maybe if a workstation uses one to access a storage array and the other to access the network/internet, but no one's Internet is nearly this fast, and if you need dedicated access to a storage array, GigE isn't the best way for high performance so.... what am I missing?

You may want to hook up computer to computer in a super-fast network independent of other systems, routers, switches, etc.  However, I agree with you, most of us aren't going to come close to saturating one GigE, much less two.

Bill

there is another reason

might be stupid to you

if one Gbe fails (and they do), most people won't bother to RMA

LOL!  Never thought about that.  A second GigE costs virtually nothing when built into the board but the hassle of replacing a mobo or the cost of adding an external card (in both time and money) is something to consider.

Bill

FYI when I transfer from Mac Pro to MacBook Pro over GigE (through white netgear router) I get up to 40MBps - just under half of 'gigabit''s potential. I'm guessing the 2.5" SATA on the MacBook Pro is the bottleneck. When I'm reading from the MBP I only get 25ish MBps, oddly. Either it writes faster than it reads (boggle) or vice versa on the Mac Pro or I'm missing something. Anyway, 40MBps was nice. I max out at 22MBps reads (10ish writes) on my current RAID 0 Lacie 1TB drive (also over GigE).

Closer back to the topic here (although that was also a divergence) I find it interesting that both GigE ports on the Mac Pro are active and on - any one know how I could my system which one to use for Internet? Say if I had two modems and connections, one unlimited and one limited but faster, how could I tell it which Internet to draw from, which NIC I mean?

Archived