We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

unRAID 6 b7 unresponsive

luca

I recently re-built my main unraid system around the X10SL7-F motherboard, also replaced cpu and controller, more hardware details in my signature. Drives migrated fine from an existing 5.0.5 server.

The new system is unresponsive. It may take from seconds to minutes for shares to open (tried connecting from several windows clients). Deleting files works at glacial speed. Watching videos (I use xbmc) is almost impossible, there is buffering going on every few seconds.

The only add-on installed is unmenu - is it still supported on ver. 6? Syslog attached, but the only error line I can see is this one, and it is consistent:

Aug 30 22:28:01 FS1 kernel:  [ffffea0000000000-ffffea00107fffff] PMD -> [ffff88040f600000-ffff88041f5fffff] on node 0 (Errors)

I don't mind running some tests, before reverting to 5.0.5.  :D

syslog-2014-08-30.zip

I had a similar problem here.

I got a lot of time outs trying to copy files to my shares and reading speed was extremely slow. Also starting and stopping the array took ages.

It turned out that one of my drives suddenly started getting a lot of bad blocks. After removing the drive, I got my speeds back.

Luckily for me I'm moving from a NAS to Unraid and haven't deleted the content of the NAS yet, so the contetn was easily available.

It might no t be the same issue, but it might be good to check the smart reports of your drive.

Here:

Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
                        1000baseT/Full 
Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
                        1000baseT/Full 
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
MDI-X: on (auto)
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
		       drv probe link
Link detected: yes
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.1.22  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.1.255
        ether 0c:c4:7a:30:04:cc  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 189693  bytes 24649268 (23.5 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 1046883  bytes 1506354067 (1.4 GiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
        device memory 0xf7400000-f747ffff  

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
        inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
        loop  txqueuelen 0  (Local Loopback)
        RX packets 1167  bytes 197565 (192.9 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 1167  bytes 197565 (192.9 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

I had a similar problem here.

I got a lot of time outs trying to copy files to my shares and reading speed was extremely slow. Also starting and stopping the array took ages.

It turned out that one of my drives suddenly started getting a lot of bad blocks. After removing the drive, I got my speeds back.

Actually, one drive was bad, and had been replaced soon after I built the new server. Even though this one drive was replaced, and the array was rebuilding, the server was very unresponsive - and that's when I started this thread.

What is confusing to me is that after the array finished rebuilding, the problems melted away.  I run a parity check, which returned 0 errors.  Shares are responsive, deleting files takes the usual amount of time, playback is great.  All seems to be working 100%  :)

Is it possible that just rebuilding the array (one 3TB data drive was swapped) would cause the symptoms reported?  Unmenu's pages still don't open most of time (it takes refreshing the page a few times), but I figure that this should be reported in a different thread.

I'll keep 6 beta going....  ;D

syslog-2014-09-01.zip

It's good to hear that the problem is solved. I do not know if this is normal behavvior when rebuilding disks as I do not have a parity disk, so no need to rebuild.

I also have some problems getting unmenu to load for the first couple of tries, but after 2-3 refreshes it works fine.

It's good to hear that the problem is solved. I do not know if this is normal behavvior when rebuilding disks as I do not have a parity disk, so no need to rebuild.
Genuinely curious here, why are you running unraid without a parity disk?

Related but parallel question, do you have full backups of everything on your unraid disks stored elsewhere?

I do not consider my movies and music worth enough to spend money on a parity drive. I have the physical disks, so no problem ripping them again.

If there is something else I absolutely need to have, I back it up to external drives.

When 6TB drives gets cheaper I might add one for parity.

I do not consider my movies and music worth enough to spend money on a parity drive. I have the physical disks, so no problem ripping them again.

If there is something else I absolutely need to have, I back it up to external drives.

When 6TB drives gets cheaper I might add one for parity.

Just remember, hard drives only come in 2 flavors, those that have failed, and those that will fail. The time it takes to rerip several TB of data is much more expensive to me than the price of a hard drive, but hey, only you know how much your time is worth.

Do you keep your collection well organized so when a drive fails you know exactly what was on it?

Archived