Didn't even know that was possible - disk & share problems

Hello.

I recently added a precleared disk to my array, as disk10. UnRaid formatted it; and I added it to my "Movie" share with the "Include disk(s)" field option. Disk4 and disk6 were already included in the share.

Because my cache drive is small (128GB) relative to the amount of video files I was moving from my Windows 7 desktop to my UnRaid 5.0.4 Server (<1TB), I exported disk10 and moved the files directly, while I slept. I have done this before (on other disks) without incident.

The next morning, the files were on disk10 as expected; but were not part of the "Movie" share. The /Shares webpage is correctly calculating the sizes of the share and all three disks.

Hoping to see what was going on, I moved some more files. This time the files still moved to disk10, and were still not included in "Movie", but they also formed new shares in their own right. I didn't even know that was possible!

I tried attaching my syslog, but it is 603KB, and the forum won't let me. On request, I could attach a relative portion, or I could reboot and hope for a smaller file. I am attaching a couple of low-res screen shots.

Thank you in advance.

Michael

UnRaid_Problem_2014-09-13_-Movie_Share_Capture_1_-small.jpg.7edb08da7650b413b230c823b7b22f94.jpg

UnRaid_Problem_2014-09-13_-Movie_Share_Capture_2_-small.jpg.1db1d02b7f943699fcee9b782bd97b1c.jpg

Have you checked the global share settings under Settings->Shares to see whether you have also specified disks there, and have not added the new disk10?

I would recommend not setting any disks at the global level, and only apply restrictions (if any) at the individual share level.

I exported disk10 and moved the files directly, while I slept. I have done this before (on other disks) without incident.
It looks like you dropped them into disk 10 directly, and not into the Movie folder. Every folder in the root of disk 10 is now a share. This is easy to correct, just look in the disk 10 folder that you exported, and drag all the individual titles into the Movie folder. It won't take but a second or so, as all it has to do is update the location on the same disk, it's not actually moving the files to another physical location.

Dropping them into the wrong folder was my first thought this morning, too. I was tired last night, after all. Actually, UnRaid did both. It moved the files to disk10 AND created new shares with an additional copy of the video files in those shares. Really weird! Either way, it shouldn't have added a new share, without hitting the "Add Share" button.

I still can't figure out why they're not in the Movie share, though. I don't remember having to stopping the array (after the format) or rebooting, or doing a parity check, the last time I expanded the array.

Either way, it shouldn't have added a new share, without hitting the "Add Share" button.

I still can't figure out why they're not in the Movie share, though.

That's not how shares work. ANY folder in the root of a disk is automatically a share, whether you create it with the webgui or not. Until you MOVE the folders out of the the root of disk 10 into the Movie folder, they will not show up in the Movie share.

Dropping them into the wrong folder was my first thought this morning, too. I was tired last night, after all. Actually, UnRaid did both. It moved the files to disk10 AND created new shares with an additional copy of the video files in those shares. Really weird! Either way, it shouldn't have added a new share, without hitting the "Add Share" button.

I still can't figure out why they're not in the Movie share, though. I don't remember having to stopping the array (after the format) or rebooting, or doing a parity check, the last time I expanded the array.

What you are describing would happen if you copy your movie folders to the root of the other disk instead of into a MOVIES folder..  The shares in unraid are a representation of every folder in the root of your data drives, it then adds them up (so a MOVIES folder on disk1 and a MOVIES folder on disk2 end up as one MOVIES share..

But if you create (from commandline, in linux, without using the unraid webpages) a folder in the root of any of your datadrives (lets say you do mkdir /mnt/disk1/qwerty) then a new share with that name will be made..

There isn't a new copy in the share. It's the same file. There are 2 ways to view the array. From the share where you see the contents of the share. From the disk where you see a directory for each share on the disk and the contents of the portion of the share stored on the disk if you enter the share directory.

When you export disk10 you get access to the whole disk. You copied the movies into the root directory of disk10. Any directory you create in the root directory of a disk becomes a new user share.

If you want a share called Movies then you need to create a Movies directory in the root directory of the disk and copy all the movies into it.

Automatically creating the user shares from the root directories on all the disks in a fundamental action of unRAID. If your flash drive is corrupted you can start over and unRAID will create the shares based on your data drives with default settings. You then just have to put in the settings you want.

I believe I understand some of this:

When I moved individual video files (i.e. movie.mkv) to the root of disk10 directly, they were placed on the disk but not in the Movie share that disk10 is included in. The "Movie" share being represented by a folder called "Movie" in the root of disk10.

When I moved a folder of files to the root of disk10 directly (i.e. movie (2014); encompassing the files movie.mkv, movie.sub, and movie.idx), that causes a new share to be created. It would in fact create a new share no matter how I got the folder in the root of a disk (i.e. Windows "cut/paste", or Linux "mkdir")

I have since "fixed" my mess by moving the files to "Movie" from disk10, as suggested (though some folders/files seemed "stickier" than others). Before I mark this "Solved", though, could someone confirm that I've summarized this correctly, and explain why the "Include disk(s)" field option doesn't just include the whole root of a disk? It would seem a easy way circumvent the intent of command (especially If I can blunder into it). Additionally, what is the nature of those files? They are obviously in the array, but outside a share.

Thank you to everyone who responded.

Michael

What you are stating is correct.

INCLUDE also only works when you access the shares remotely.

Example, lets say you make a share called STUFF and only include disk1, then that creates a folder on the root of disk1 called STUFF and all files you copy in STUFF from windows are put in the STUFF folder on disk1.

However... If you now create a folder on disk2 and call it STUFF, then everything you copy in there will also show up in the share STUFF..

So include (and exclude) options only work when you access the shares remotely from a windows or apple.

Example, lets say you make a share called STUFF and only include disk1, then that creates a folder on the root of disk1 called STUFF and all files you copy in STUFF from windows are put in the STUFF folder on disk1.

However... If you now create a folder on disk2 and call it STUFF, then everything you copy in there will also show up in the share STUFF..

So include (and exclude) options only work when you access the shares remotely from a windows or apple.

This is not quite accurate, although the results are as you describe!

The include and exclude options only apply when unRAID is looking to see what disk it can create a top level folder on.  You can always create the top level folder manually via a disk share and in such a case the include/exclude options do not apply.  Once a folder has been created at the top level of a disk share it is considered as part of the user share regardless of the disk it resides on.

This is not quite accurate, although the results are as you describe!

The include and exclude options only apply when unRAID is looking to see what disk it can create a top level folder on.  You can always create the top level folder manually via a disk share and in such a case the include/exclude options do not apply.  Once a folder has been created at the top level of a disk share it is considered as part of the user share regardless of the disk it resides on.

That is what I am saying... With the addition of the fact that you can also do this by creating a folder directly on a disk share..

First thing I try to tell people is avoid the disk shares...

could someone confirm that I've summarized this correctly, and explain why the "Include disk(s)" field option doesn't just include the whole root of a disk? It would seem a easy way circumvent the intent of command (especially If I can blunder into it). Additionally, what is the nature of those files? They are obviously in the array, but outside a share.

The include is only used when writing to the user shares. In this case, when writing to the Movies share. When you write to the Movies share you will be creating data inside one of the Movies directories on an included disk. It is not used when writing to a disk share.

You can write anything to a disk using a disk share and you can create a mess if you're not careful. Any files in the root of a disk just won't appear in any of the user shares but they won't hurt anything.

You have to remember that you could have multiple shares using a single disk. So, unRAID uses a root level directory for each share to keep them separated. Otherwise, how would unRAID know which files belonged to which share if there was just a random mess of data on the disk?

Archived