We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

XFS / BTRFS integrity checks vs reiserfsck???

jumperalex

So I've read about how amazing RFS is at recovery so that begs the question as we all consider migrating to XFS, BTRFS, or even soon ext4: How robust are those file system's recovery utilities?  Which is "better"?

I know Tom has stated that they are using XFS on all their servers now so I guess that is the answer to my question in some ways, but I still would like to see any discussions (or links) on the topic if anyone has anything to say.

69 views and no comments or thoughts?  Nothing from LT perhaps?  A none issue?  i know in the end the plan is to move either way, and XFS certainly has a lot of support so perhaps the answer is just that XFS is at least as good, but I'd love to hear from anyone who knows of at least some anecdotal cases where an XFS volume was corrupted and successfully recovered like we've heard about RFS.

This has been asked about before and briefly talked about in the other threads dealing with the new filesystem choices. You might find some information there.

Though I do agree that itr would be nice to see what tests LimeTech has done and to get their experiences with typical recovery issues the typical user would run across.

Yeah I've been following most of those threads.  I just still don't feel like I have an answer, but I also am willing to accept that their might not be a black/white answer.  [shrug] like I said, I suppose XFS has enough penetration that I suppose it is safe to say it is robust and has the tools needed.  Now what is needed I guess is good documentation for what to do like we have for RFS.  Beta or not I feel like that is just a good idea to help out the beta testers.

I'm starting to reorganize my data to better suit my needs and part of that process will include leaving drives empty for conversion to XFS.  Before I knew where to go in these forums for help with recovery on RFS.  Now I'm not so confident with XFS, though I'm sure Id still get the help I needed eventually.

Archived