Why are some hard drive more reliable then others?

Lots of words which end with

As long as you perform regular backups, you should be fairly happy with the reliability of most modern hard drives.

Some will consider it weak, but it's the truth. All hard drives fail, so backups are required. If you have backup, you'll be happy.

The listed reasons in the article;

Manufacturing defect

Bad design

Rebadged enterprise drives

Damaged goods

Better (or different) technology

Unfortunately the author did not indicate if this was an ordered list, ie technology change lowest cause.

Manufacturing defect

Bad design

Damaged goods

Unfortunately the author did not indicate if this was an ordered list, ie technology change lowest cause.

As an retired design engineer, I can tell you that final reliability  is combination of all of these (in widely varying percentages depending on the product and how radical the design changes are).  All designs are the result of tradeoffs and compromises.  There was an old saying in the company where I worked that went like this, "There comes a time in every project when the engineers have to be shot if production is ever to begin."

Manufacturing defect

Bad design

Damaged goods

As an retired design engineer, I can tell you that final reliability  is combination of all of these (in widely varying percentages depending on the product and how radical the design changes are).  All designs are the result of takeoffs and compromises.  There was an old saying in the company where I worked that went like this, "There comes a time in every project when the engineers have to be shot if production is ever to begin."

Lol, that old saying still holds true today.