First timer looking for rack mount setup

Riverhawk

I think I may be in over my head, but it should be a good learning experience. I've built a couple pc's in the past, but have never done any type of rack setup. I bought a huge rack on craigslist(I currently have no idea how to perform cable management, supply power, cooling  :-[ ). I've done some research and I'm sold on UnRaid. I need my rig to safely store and serve up HD(eventually 4K) videos to multiple HTPCs connected to Tvs, music to Sonos, store/serve X amount of days worth of HD home security cams.

I think I want to go with Xen(Unraid 6.0) since I would like to use some VMs. When looking at similar setups/budgets I see people going with 16GB Ram, Norco cages, Xeon processors, 512GB SSD cache. Since I'm kinda clueless, I would need help on picking compatible components that meet my needs/budget. Thanks in advance!

Budget: $1500-1800

# of Drives: 4x4TB WD Reds(one for parity), ???MB SSD for Cache

Expandability: Important...isn't that a huge feature of UnRaid(takes on all sizes of new drives)?

AddOns: Plex for remote use or non-HTPC connected devices like tablets/phones, SickBeard, AddOn or VM to store/manage/serve HD security camera feeds, VM for home automation(not sure about this...I may want to buy/build a small Atom/i3 ShuttlePC if I don't have enough juice in the CPU/RAM.

I'm sure everyone has their own favorites, I really like the Rosewill RSV-L4412 case. You can see my build on the link in my sig. This is a newer version than mine, but appears to be basically the same. The case is rack mountable (slide rails sold separately) 12 bay so you would have lots of room for expansion. What you get depends a lot on what you think you will be needing in 6 or 8 years I believe.

Whatever you choose you should also provide a UPS system for it if you don't already have one.

I think I may be in over my head, but it should be a good learning experience. I've built a couple pc's in the past, but have never done any type of rack setup. I bought a huge rack on craigslist(I currently have no idea how to perform cable management, supply power, cooling  :-[ ). I've done some research and I'm sold on UnRaid. I need my rig to safely store and serve up HD(eventually 4K) videos to multiple HTPCs connected to Tvs, music to Sonos, store/serve X amount of days worth of HD home security cams.

I think I want to go with Xen(Unraid 6.0) since I would like to use some VMs. When looking at similar setups/budgets I see people going with 16GB Ram, Norco cages, Xeon processors, 512GB SSD cache. Since I'm kinda clueless, I would need help on picking compatible components that meet my needs/budget. Thanks in advance!

Expandability: Important...isn't that a huge feature of UnRaid(takes on all sizes of new drives)?

AddOns: Plex for remote use or non-HTPC connected devices like tablets/phones, SickBeard, AddOn or VM to store/manage/serve HD security camera feeds, VM for home automation(not sure about this...I may want to buy/build a small Atom/i3 ShuttlePC if I don't have enough juice in the CPU/RAM.

I ended up going with this Motherboard and this processor.

The board is vt-d compliant and so is the processor so you can pass through hardware if you want.

I run 3 VM's (windows server,Debian,CentOS) along with 10 drives with unraid as Dom0 with plenty of horsepower.  I also picked up a AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 from here

The motherboard has 2 x16 slots so with 1 AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and the 6 onboard SataII connections you should have plenty of bandwith for disks. If you get that rosewill case it only has 12 hd slots.  The only downside is that you would need a video card since the board doesn't support it. 

You can be up and running with this list plus 4 4tb reds and 16 gig of ram and a video card(PCI) for about 1k.  The above is what I put in my machine i built a few weeks ago minus the 4Tb drives and I run a cooler master case.

The board is vt-d compliant and so is the processor so you can pass through hardware if you want.

I run 3 VM's (windows server,Debian,CentOS) along with 10 drives with unraid as Dom0 with plenty of horsepower.  I also picked up a AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 from here

The motherboard has 2 x16 slots so with 1 AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and the 6 onboard SataII connections you should have plenty of bandwith for disks. If you get that rosewill case it only has 12 hd slots.  The only downside is that you would need a video card since the board doesn't support it. 

You can be up and running with this list plus 4 4tb reds and 16 gig of ram and a video card(PCI) for about 1k.  The above is what I put in my machine i built a few weeks ago minus the 4Tb drives and I run a cooler master case.

Any reason why you went with the AMD as opposed to the Xeon that I see people using in the "compulsive" section? I'm kind of an Intel guy(for no real reason).

If someone wants to throw together a PCpartpicker list it would be much appreciated(vt-d mobo, cpu, psu, ssd cache drive, ram, etc). Learning this stuff is slow moving when real life is in the way.

Would this CPU and board combo handle running 1 windows vm inside unaraid as a htpc? I currently run a server and a small low power htpc in my living room but I'd like to consolidate that into 1 box if possible.