Logitech Webcam C310 not working on Xen / Windows 8 VM

m4f1050

I installed a Logitech C310 HD cam on my unRAID and setup the .cfg file of my Windows 8 VM to do a passthrough of host:046d:081b which is how I install everything USB on my VM and it's not finding it, I had same issue with Prolific/FTDI 232R USB devices, is there a list of compatible devices on XEN / virtual machines?

From reading the xen passthrough wiki, I believe that discrete device passthrough emulates usb 1.1 only. To gain full usb 2.0 speeds, you need to passthrough the full controller as apic device.

For a video device, I would imagine usb 2.0 might be a requirement?

I discovered thus when passing through some usb soundtracks to a vm. Passing through the device itself resulted in patchy, garbled sound but when I attached them to a apart on a controller that was specified for pci passthrough, they worked fine (plus I have the benefit of hotplugging devices, utilising hubs etc)

Hope that helps.

Peter

Not quite what I meant.

What I'm saying is that xen usb passthrough exposes all usb devices to the at usb 1.1 speeds. Regardless of the actual port speed.

This is fine for keyboards, mice and it receivers, for example, but not much good for audio devices and especially video.

There may be additional factors at play in your case but I'd start by passing through the entire usb controller as a pci device and see where you get to with that.

OH ok.  I will try to passthrough the controller.  Will a USB 2.0 controller passthrough work at 2.0 speeds/specs?

Im about to give up on Xen...  For KVM its a different setup?  If I can't pass these 2 devices, I only have 1 working passthrough = hp laserjet 1012 host based...

• 4 weeks later...

Meep is right.  Controller pass through is not the same as host dev USB pass through.  The latter has limitations on speed and hot plugging whereas the former does not.

Well, unfortunately I tried both ways, webcam does not get recognized on the host VM.  :-(

Is there any unRAID docker or plugin (like Yawcam) that allows streaming of webcam content?

Archived