Jumping to unraid

takagari

I've done a lot of looking and unraid fits the bill.

I have a number of drives on hand I'd love to slap into this system and than let it expand!

2 questions really.

1. If I wish to expand, can I simply pull a 1tb and drop in a 4tb and let it rebuild?

2. It supports 4tb and the newer 5 and  drives?

I plan to use a Norco 4224 case

3 MV8 cards.

So I'm looking for a moherboard with room for the cards, onboard video and dual gigabit

I also have 4 XBMC setups and could expect 2-4 going at any one time, streaming hd.

What would be needed for that heavy of a load.

Thank you. Appreciate any help!

1. If I wish to expand, can I simply pull a 1tb and drop in a 4tb and let it rebuild?

Yes, with the caveat that you can't add a drive larger than the parity drive.  I'd suggest you install as large a drive as possible for your parity drive, so you're not limited in future expansions  (you can always change the parity drive to a larger unit; but it's much more convenient to simply start off with the largest drive you may want to use as the parity unit).

2. It supports 4tb and the newer 5 and  drives?

Yes, 4TB, 6TB, even the new 8TB and 10TB units  :)

... the only potential issue is your SATA controller has to support drives > 2TB  (If it passes that threshold, all of the larger drives will work)

With 4 XBMC setups are you going to be transcoding on the server or a media device (or player) associated with the display?

I cam stream three BluRay stream simultaneously from either of my two servers listed below.  Limitations on straight streaming is usually more a function of the network than the server. 

Archived